Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep, common issue. Which makes me think they are further away from driverless cars than they claim. Imagine being told your driverless vehicle won't function in inclimate/snowy weather! Not to mention the inability of driverless technology to currently "go the last mile" (i.e. find a parking spot, park in the driveway, etc),

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Which makes me think they are further away from driverless cars than they claim. Imagine being told your driverless vehicle won't function in inclimate/snowy weather! Not to mention the inability of driverless technology to currently "go the last mile" (i.e. find a parking spot, park in the driveway, etc),
Indeed.

Autonomous driving is a lot farther away in time.. no matter what Elon Musk promises... and these sorts of weather related issues is one key reason. A lack of actual accurate and live integrated map routing is also a key reason.. and automakers cannot address that.. it has to be through road infrastructure more so than maps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check the sensor the next time the radar disables in the snow. I would be willing to bet a couple rolls of toilet paper that the sensor isn't iced over/covered in snow.
This is just system saying that it cannot operate reliably and safely in these conditions.
Happened to me last week. Pulled off at the next exit. There was a quarter inch of packed snow on the plastic sensor cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bandit400 is correct - I used to work for Raytheon - we invented Doppler radar that you see on the weather channel.
The radar at the front of your car is panicing because the rain or snow is reflecting off of it and the logic can no longer figure out what is in front of you. Once it panics it disables itself to prevent false alerts.
Maybe with a $1,000,000 radar computer it could - there is a limit to what the $900 system can do.
For those of you that need a easier explanation.
If you take a picture with a digital camera of 10 people - the camera can find the heads of all 10 with boxes.
Now take a picture of a crowded basketball seating arena with 10,000 people and it cannot find the 10,000 heads. It is too much for the logic to handle.
That is what happens to the radar on your car.
Great explanation!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep, common issue. Which makes me think they are further away from driverless cars than they claim. Imagine being told your driverless vehicle won't function in inclimate/snowy weather! Not to mention the inability of driverless technology to currently "go the last mile" (i.e. find a parking spot, park in the driveway, etc),
Driverless cars are years away. The only way it will work is if ALL vehicles are driverless and can communicate with each other so they know what each other is going to do. With human drivers there’s always the stupidity factor and computers can NEVER predict how stupid humans are.

Weather is also a huge factor. When it snows or rains the cameras and radar can’t work properly as they can no longer see the lane markings due to snow on the road or the sensors. That’s when it’s up to us, the driver, to be more alert in driving, but you should always be alert and paying attention anyway.

These are driving aids and not a replacement for safe and alert driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
My CRV is less than two months old. I have been to the mountains 4 times to test the AWD, it works great! However every trip it snowed and the Radar constantly went Disabled and of course away went the safety features! Does anyone know of a product to prevent the plastic Radar cover from accumulating snow and ice?
Learn how to drive and control the car yourself. Automation can't be counted on in adverse conditions. The best safety feature in a vehicle is between our ears.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts