Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving at 65 mph in wet snow today (road surface only wet at the time). Warning buzzer went off saying radar had failed with all safety features disabled. Idiot lights illuminated for every every thing. Got home and found front grill frozen. I wasn't doing anything stupid. It was like a rain event. Odd but true. 28 deg F. Anybody deal with this in the Great White North?

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Yep; if the radar is covered in frozen stuff, it doesn't work. But on the other hand, even if the radar worked, none of the features it enables would actually work as intended on a slippery road surface, so other than your dash lighting up like an x-mas tree, it's not really much of a loss.

· Registered
32 Posts
I had the same at least two times, it happened in very bad weather with rain, snow and many on the road.
+ amber light "Brake system".

TO fix it need clean radar and window near the camera and driving with speed more then 50mph next few minutes.

· Registered
441 Posts
Driving at 65 mph in wet snow today (road surface only wet at the time). Warning buzzer went off saying radar had failed with all safety features disabled. Idiot lights illuminated for every every thing. Got home and found front grill frozen. I wasn't doing anything stupid. It was like a rain event. Odd but true. 28 deg F. Anybody deal with this in the Great White North?
Its very common with these type of devices, I had it fail in my 2019 Pilot twice in heavy rain and in heavy snow

· Registered
5 Posts
Someone said you could hold down the cruise on button or maybe the one below it for 10 seconds and it would operate like a normal cruise. Well tried that this morning when my cruise got "blinded" and it didn't work. sucks you can't use cruise like normal people even when sensor gets cruded up.

· Registered
231 Posts
My wife had the same thing happen to her while she was driving to Green Bay recently to meet me for a work function. She called me on the mobile and was freaking out thinking that the car was going to die. She thought it was all tied to the OD issue and that the car was going to shutdown leaving her stranded on the freeway in a snowstorm. I told her to relax that this is normal when the sensors get covered. I also reminded her that she should never use the cruise in bad weather and not to follow too closely because the ACC wasn't going to kick in. Afterwards we had a nice dinner.

· Registered
167 Posts
Someone said you could hold down the cruise on button or maybe the one below it for 10 seconds and it would operate like a normal cruise. Well tried that this morning when my cruise got "blinded" and it didn't work. sucks you can't use cruise like normal people even when sensor gets cruded up.
Try holding the following distance button instead of the cruise button. It works perfectly on my Touring model.

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,164 Posts
It's that time of year for these wet snow stopping the sensing system events.

· Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
134 Posts
It happens. It happened to us the day we bought the car driving home in snowy slushy interstate traffic.

It has also happened without slush, but a lot of sandy salty slop on the road at interstate speed.

It's ok, just drive like you used to do before all the fancy tech stuff was available, and clear it when you get a chance. I'm still appreciative to have it, and I recognize and accept its limitations.

· Registered
2017, Touring, 1.5 Litre Turbo, White Diamond with Black Leather Interior
488 Posts
It happens. It happened to us the day we bought the car driving home in snowy slushy interstate traffic.

It has also happened without slush, but a lot of sandy salty slop on the road at interstate speed.

It's ok, just drive like you used to do before all the fancy tech stuff was available, and clear it when you get a chance. I'm still appreciative to have it, and I recognize and accept its limitations.
I second that

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought CR-V EX 2019 less than a month ago and several times managed to face the situation with message "Some Drive Assist System Cannot Operate: Radar Obstructed" under heavy wet snow conditions.
Does anyone know how to turn off the entire system of any kind of assistance with the radar all together for a while?

· Registered
26 Posts
The systems are useful on slippery surfaces. ACC has nothing to do with the surface, lane keeping still works as long as it can see the lines on the road, collision avoidance still works fine (it brakes, traction control takes care of the rest).

I removed the cover (it's a one-handed squeeze-and-it-pops-off thing, super easy) and coated mine with a layer of 3M hydrophobic spray, then replaced it. It seems to do a good job of keeping the snow off. (Minnesota)

I bought CR-V EX 2019 less than a month ago and several times managed to face the situation with message "Some Drive Assist System Cannot Operate: Radar Obstructed" under heavy wet snow conditions.
Does anyone know how to turn off the entire system of any kind of assistance with the radar all together for a while?
You have to individually disable each safety system.

· Registered
242 Posts
Yes you can switch to standard cruise control. Turn on the main cruise control button but BEFORE setting your speed you need to press and hold the following distance button. It will then beep and a message on the dash will indicate you are now in standard cruise mode (or something like that) - which means you are responsible for not rear ending the cars in front of you! :)

Repeat the steps above to revert to ACC mode.

· Registered
3 Posts
This will happen in bad weather. You just have to move to plan B and drive carefully as you used to before all these electronics. The car will still operate. You shouldn’t rely on the car to do everything; just pay attention.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
The systems are useful on slippery surfaces. ACC has nothing to do with the surface, lane keeping still works as long as it can see the lines on the road, collision avoidance still works fine (it brakes, traction control takes care of the rest).

I removed the cover (it's a one-handed squeeze-and-it-pops-off thing, super easy) and coated mine with a layer of 3M hydrophobic spray, then replaced it. It seems to do a good job of keeping the snow off. (Minnesota)

You have to individually disable each safety system.
ACC does *not* work safely if the road is slippery. The following distance it uses will be entirely inadequate on a ice/snow-slick road. The collision-avoidance systems will "work" if the radar's still up, but they'll be far less effective because they'll kick in too late.

· Registered
242 Posts
ACC does *not* work safely if the road is slippery. The following distance it uses will be entirely inadequate on a ice/snow-slick road. The collision-avoidance systems will "work" if the radar's still up, but they'll be far less effective because they'll kick in too late.
Certainly if the road is snowy or icy I'd recommend against using ACC. However, if it is just a normal light rain / wet pavement situation ACC should continue to function fine and you can increase your following distance by clicking on the following space button (to add additional bars to the car silhouette). I normally use ACC with the minimum spacing - but in wet conditions increase the following distance and it performs well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.