Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back home yesterday while it was pouring rain. I got this message from the dashboard.

" Some driver assist systems cannot operate : radar obstructed"

Anyone has the same alert before?

LKAS and lane departure system did not work for a while then it came back to normal operation on its own

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Happened to me yesterday too; posted about it here this morning. Only it happened several times, once when it was raining so light I had the wipers on intermittent. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealership about it.

I've driven through much heavier rain than yesterday's before, and it was fine, so there's something else going on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Radar is susceptible to weather. Some of the theory here -----.adv-radio-sci.net/9/49/2011/ars-9-49-2011.pdf--- Have not even driven my CRV in the rain yet as live in Arizona but I would imagine I would not trust all the automation in foul weather.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hopefully not a design flaw. None of my FCA vehicles ever had radar issues in ANY heavy weather I ever drove in. Only if ice were allowed to freeze up over the sensor did I have brief issues.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, back from the dealer. Unsurprisingly, since it wasn't happening at that time, they didn't find anything. (The system does not store any historic logs.)

The tech said that TechLine hasn't logged this issue yet (ice, yes, rain, no), so I encourage anybody that has this issue to schedule a visit so they DO hear about it.

He said that if it happens again, that should be enough to convince Honda to authorize some labor to re-aim the radar, and maybe even throw some parts at it. He said that if you can, pull over and take a picture of the dash, windshield (from the inside and outside), and radar sensor, to demonstrate that the radar is not, in fact, actually obstructed with anything at the time.

·
Administrator
3,347 Posts
Next time, take video to show the instrument display and outdoor conditions

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happened to me as well. It had rained, but wasn't raining when it happened. Stayed on until I stopped and restarted car, then was fine. Has only happened the one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had it happen today driving in moderate rain. It displayed the error message for about five miles, and then it returned to normal. I have been driving it since the end of March, even in heavy rain, and this is the first time that I have encountered this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't own a CR-V yet, still waiting for delivery, but Page 99 of the owners manual says,

● Comes on when the area around the camera is blocked by dirt, mud, etc. Stop your vehicle in a safe place, and wipe it off with a soft cloth.
● May come on when driving in bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.)

● Have your vehicle checked by a dealer if the indicator and message come back on after you cleaned the area around the camera.

And it shows the hand wiping the windshield as in the photo.

Same thing for a blocked RADAR sensor on page 97.

● Comes on if anything covers the radar sensor cover and prevents the sensor from detecting a vehicle in front.
● May come on when driving in bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.)
● ACC with LSF has been automatically canceled.

● When the radar sensor gets dirty, stop your vehicle in a safe place, and wipe off dirt using a soft cloth.
● Have your vehicle checked by a dealer if the indicator does not go off even after you clean the sensor cover.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Another reason 'self-driving cars' will be a liability. Weather, road, lane markings, and other variables are always in constant flux. Ideal conditions are not the norm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My CRV is <2 months old, and the same thing happened to me the other night during a light to mid rain storm. The warming message cleared up in about 5 minutes. It threw me as I would have expected that these systems enhance safety in poor driving conditions and not turn off.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Possibly but there is a TSB 17-064 which addresses a problem with weather induced radar malfunction. See the sticky thread on TSB's for more details

·
Registered
147 Posts
Possibly but there is a TSB 17-064 which addresses a problem with weather induced radar malfunction. See the sticky thread on TSB's for more details
Correct, the radar obstructed message due to bad weather is a symptom of the millimeter wave radar needing the software update as outlined in TSB 17-064. The thread linked below is a second symptom of this issue also outlined on the TSB 17-064, and has been proved to be resolved once the radar software is updated.

Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/136434-cruise-control-doesnt-hold-steady-speed.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
radar obstructed

We have had our 2017 CRV less than a month old. Had snow yesterday, and got the same message. Stayed on until the car was turned off. Happened again today. Going to call the dealer to let them know. I'm hoping this can be fixed.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts