Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while 10 minutes into a 20 minute highway trip a message appeared on the cluster. It read something like "Radar Sensor blocked and some Safety features disabled". Also the Lane Departure and Collision Avoidance indicators where showing as not working on the display. It was raining light to medium out and the front wipers were working properly. The warning disappeared 5 minutes later before I could stop and take a picture for the dealer. Nothing changed in the driving conditions before, during or after the message.

I took the 2017 CRV Touring AWD to the dealer yesterday afternoon to leave it to have the front windshield replace today and mentioned it to the Service Manager. He said they would check the error log to see if it reveals anything about it and let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had that occur on my '15 last month. I was driving on I-80 in freezing rain outside Des Moines. The dash lit up with warnings and it cancelled the adaptive cruise. The radar was covered in ice at least 1/8 thick. I was surprised it was working at all. It was a good warning sign of what lay ahead on the interstate...40 miles of accidents and driving at 20-30 mph.

Yours was probably a leaf or trash on the radar for a moment which got blown off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had that occur on my '15 last month. I was driving on I-80 in freezing rain outside Des Moines. The dash lit up with warnings and it cancelled the adaptive cruise. The radar was covered in ice at least 1/8 thick. I was surprised it was working at all. It was a good warning sign of what lay ahead on the interstate...40 miles of accidents and driving at 20-30 mph.

Yours was probably a leaf or trash on the radar for a moment which got blown off.
Yup, same happened in wet snow/slushy weather a few months ago in my '15 Touring CRV. I was highway driving and it occurred all of a sudden. About 30 minutes later the system went back to normal. Sounds like a correctly functioning system that is aware of when conditions are not conducive to radar.

Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Happened to me today twice due to very wet snow. Coming back home from getting the windows tinted and 5 min from the tint place it gave these warnings. I pulled over and saw the ice and wiped it off. Lasted probably 5 more min and was iced over again. I didnt stop again till I was home. A small heater that could be turned on from a switch inside to warm the radar antennae would be a nice addition. That way you could choose to only run the heater when there is winter precipitation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll just weigh in that I've had this too - in just light rain and mildly foggy conditions on the freeway. When it turns off, it's quite the display with all those goodies turned off! It corrected itself within 3 miles (I was impressed that it didn't require an ignition cycle to clear!), and both sensor spots were clear when I looked at home, so I chalked it up to conditions.

When we first got our '15 Touring, the ACC would suddenly drop and not re-enable unless you stopped and turned the engine off and then it would be fine for some random number of days. Complained about it at the next oil change - they applied a firmware update and it never happened again. So, I'm confident if there's an issue, Honda will fix in time. But so far so good.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had that occur on my '15 last month. I was driving on I-80 in freezing rain outside Des Moines. The dash lit up with warnings and it cancelled the adaptive cruise.
I think I would firmly classify "Adaptive Cruise Control Won't Work In Horrible Conditions (where it's blissfully unaware of how little traction is available)" as a Good Problem to Have. It's simply not able to react adequately to, say, a car beginning to spin in an adjacent lane. And if there's a patch of black ice under the tires, it doesn't know to use idle to slow down and use the brakes as little as possible.

Yeah, it'd be nice if the CMBS still worked, but in such conditions, it'd do you little good anyway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Happened to me today when the weather was slushy- warning popped saying collision braking and lane keep disabled- I wonder if this is same with other Manufacturers- because sensor location on crv gets dirty easily

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my 2017 CR-V two days ago while I was driving through snow and freezing rain ,and using the adaptive cruise control ,it worked fine until the sensor got blocked .When I wipe it off it works again .I think they should've put it in a place that doesn't get blocked so easy

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Let me get this straight, you were using adaptive cruise control in freezing rain AND slush? I'm pretty sure the manual is plastered with warnings telling you precisely to NOT do that, lest you kill somebody with it.

If conditions are so poor that the sensor is getting clogged with slush and freezing rain, would the features even work correctly if the sensor still worked? The car has no idea that you'll have greatly reduced traction and need following and braking distance vastly greater than normal. ACC in such conditions is sheer lunacy, CMBS won't actually work that well, and since slush is going to cover lane markings, LKAS and Road Departure aren't going to work either.

Also, by necessity, it has to go on the front of the car. The upper part of the windshield is too crowded. That leaves somewhere on the grille. Really, it's better off than many automakers, which embed it in the lower grill; I expect that gets clogged even MORE often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tonight once again the sonar sensor on my 2017 CR-V Touring got blocked again. It is definitely a magnet for any type of snow or freezing rain. It wasn't even any serious bad weather. They should have a heater or a wiper blade that could be use to clean the little ice that so easily it collects. :mad:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Had it happen to me yesterday- little bit of slush from other cars blocked the sensors. Cleaned it during a break- happened again in about half hour. Too bad as weather was very foggy- I could have used adaptive cruise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this happen three times since getting the car in December. First was in fog and heavy drizzle on the freeway. It restored itself within a few minutes - nothing on the cover. Second time - not sure, wife was driving it. Third time was today. Drove through a heavy rain and road spray for 8 miles or so on the freeway. No LKAS (invisible lane markings) but everything else was fine. Came out of the rain and after 5 miles of driving in nothing but clear air - the radar shuts off. After about 3 or so miles, returns to normal. Nothing on the cover, clean windshield.

Early in our 2015's life, the ACC would drop out for no particular reason. It would not reengage unless the car was stopped, turned off and restarted. I griped it to the dealer, and a firmware update fixed it. So, I will be griping the 2017's issue at the next dealer visit and hope that something fixes it down the line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same issue driving in a moderate to dense fog on highway. It got corrected within few miles. I wished if there is a way to get the regular cruise control work but I didn't know then. After coming back home, looking in the manual, I see there is an option. From the manual (page 481 of online manual)
"To Switch ACC with LSF to Cruise Control
Press and hold the (interval) button for one second. Cruise Mode Selected appears on the driver information interface for two seconds, and then the mode switches to
Cruise. To switch back to ACC with LSF, press and hold the button again for one second."

I tried to test this yesterday, but didn't work. Did any of you tried this and working for you ? What could I be doing wrong ?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts