Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last week that I had a hairline crack in the radiator below the filler cap. Its was fairly long for a crack, maybe two inches. So I figured a new radiator was in order. But first the transmission fluid change needed done, then this week the catalytic converter replaced. It seems the problem that led to them in fixed. I sprayed some Flex Seal over the crack for a temporary fix

Today my wife and I were running around going Dr.visits etc. I stopped at a park to do some geocaching and my wife asked to keep the car running so she could listen to a CD. When I got back a little while later the car was off. She said I needed to check the radiator since it was steaming and she turned the engine off. The level was okay, I could see where coolant had blown back over some of the engine.

I drove home being sure to go a route where I was moving more than stopped. No problems arose. I got home and parked the car and let it idle for a long time, just as at the parking lot. And no leaks! After letting it cool a while I checked the level again, okay.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The issue is at idle and stop the pressure builds up, hence more heat. Until the radiator fans kick in, it’s enough to mist out on the exhaust and cause steam. The problem is the plastic capping on these oem radiators over time. Just replace it out with one online, cost varies around $40-120, depending on aftermarket availabilities.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is at idle and stop the pressure builds up, hence more heat. Until the radiator fans kick in, it’s enough to mist out on the exhaust and cause steam. The problem is the plastic capping on these oem radiators over time. Just replace it out with one online, cost varies around $40-120, depending on aftermarket availabilities.
That why wanted to keep moving. I was surprised a bit by it not spraying at the leak later on. Oh well, if I had done that anywhere but at home it probably would have lost coolant!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mine acted in a similar manner. It will eventually get worse to the point of not holding anything back and leaking all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts