Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most modern vehicle I have driven will leave the radio on after you shut the vehicle off, until you open a door (or 10 minutes or something similar). I have noticed om my new CR-V (EX-L Hybrid if that matters) that as soon as I push the Start/Stop button the Radio is shut off. Is there a way to enable a delay on turning off the radio?

Thank you for any input you may have.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,340 Posts
Gen5 CRVs power everything down when you shut them off. Even the USB power ports and the 12vdc power plug are turned off when you shut down the vehicle.

Honda is deliberate about this, as they do not want any situations to occur where an owner might leave something on and kill their battery. Even interior lights from open doors have timeouts on them I believe, but honestly I have never actually tested that.

I know of no way for you to alter this design intention by Honda.

Honda could design this in a more advanced and nuanced manner, with selectable power downs and such, but I am glad that they do not. I do not trust sensor driven customer set automated power down features like this. I much prefer for a motor vehicle that the power switch control everything like this.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
116 Posts
Are you having "driveway moments?" :D

I wonder if that's an American thing, my previous CR-Vs never did that. Though I never had a gen 4. I feel like GMs have done that since the 90s though. In my wife's 2011 EX you can operate the windows after turning off until you open the doors but no radio. You have to put it in ACC causing the radio to reboot.

In the hybrid I've already gotten accustomed to hitting EV mode and Climate Control Off to achieve a similar mode. Plus the added bonus that I can still drive around to change parking spaces while I wait for the wife to come out of the store!

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you having "driveway moments?" :D
Was running to the store earlier today, and when I got there and parked, I just turned the car off, but was wanting to listen to the news report that was on the radio.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
116 Posts
It does also have accessory mode if you push start without the brake pedal from off mode. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can go back to acc from run but the radio does boot up quickly at least.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My wife's new Outback has this feature. Frankly I don't care for it. It can stay on indefinitely if you open door before turning off engine. Or, if you don't get out of car right away you get the feeling of "is it off or on" and you push the start button again and now its on but you think its off. Better off w/o it IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,537 Posts
Push start a few times, like three times you can sit there for up to 30 minutes noted in the 5th gen book

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Gen5 CRVs power everything down when you shut them off. Even the USB power ports and the 12vdc power plug are turned off when you shut down the vehicle.
Is this true? I thought the power windows can be operated for up to 10 minutes after you turn the ignition switch off. Makes sense to me that the radio should function in a similar manner.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Is this true? I thought the power windows can be operated for up to 10 minutes after you turn the ignition switch off. Makes sense to me that the radio should function in a similar manner.
Yes, you have a short period of time when the window buttons will still work, but that is passive and draws no current until said button is pushed. But only if you do not open the drivers side door, climb out, and then close the door.

Fact is.. the power down sequence after you stop your vehicle takes several minutes before everything is in a true low power state. You can actually observe this by monitoring the battery power bus voltage after you shut down. The vehicle will continue to draw several amps for 1-3 minutes after you power down, climb out and close the door.

I do not believe it is 10 minutes though. Never personally timed how long the window switches remain active, but as I recall 5 minutes after power down, sitting waiting for someone in a parking lot.. the windows would no longer respond to the buttons... so my guess is that window operation via the buttons is one of the last things to be fully shut down.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
I do not believe it is 10 minutes though.
From the CRV Owner's Manual:
"The power windows can be operated for up to 10 minutes after you turn the ignition switch off. Opening either front door cancels this function."
I don't see any real issue with having the radio operate the same way.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
From the CRV Owner's Manual:
"The power windows can be operated for up to 10 minutes after you turn the ignition switch off. Opening either front door cancels this function."
We are in agreement about everything except the 10 minutes.

Feel free to test your CRV.. but I have yet to see mine keep the window controls active for 10 minutes. Mine appears to be less than 5 minutes. Which raises the question.. what does Honda mean by "up to". I personally do not know.

In addition, there have been errors in the owners manual and other documentation. This may or may not be one of them.

I don't see any real issue with having the radio operate the same way.
What you "see" though is irrelevant, because Honda very specifically turns off the radio when the vehicle is shut off. Same with the power ports.

And again.. the window control circuits monitoring the window buttons does not actually consume power, unless the buttons are pushed. The radio on the other hand will draw notable DC current from the power bus..... due to the power amps that drive the speaker system.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
What you "see" though is irrelevant, because Honda very specifically turns off the radio when the vehicle is shut off. Same with the power ports.

And again.. the window control circuits monitoring the window buttons does not actually consume power, unless the buttons are pushed. The radio on the other hand will draw notable DC current from the power bus..... due to the power amps that drive the speaker system.
I know what I "see" is irrelevant. My comments are in support of the OP who thought this was a feature that was lacking and was available in other vehicles he's driven. I agree the window buttons don't consume power unless the buttons are pressed. What about the interior lights and headlights that stay on after the door is closed? They consume power... though not on the level of a radio with an amp. Are you saying that driving the stereo for a maximum of 10 minutes (make it a setting, off, 5 min, 10 min) or until the door is closed is going to negatively effect the performance of the battery?

·
The Enforcer
2,850 Posts
Are you saying that driving the stereo for a maximum of 10 minutes (make it a setting, off, 5 min, 10 min) or until the door is closed is going to negatively effect the performance of the battery?
Absolutely.

Happened to a relative on their 4th Gen CR-V. 15 mins of parked radio listening to the cricket score - battery was done. This was a one year old car at the time.

Managed to jump start it, but needed a new battery.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,537 Posts
So what wins me over is having a timer to shut down an inactive car. Does the interior light, or a trunk light go off after Xamount of time. Thank you Toyota you are the best, my trunk releases by me pressed accidentally, next day veroom.'

no dead battery of listening to 30 minutes of music. again in other topics of the same here, USE your Smartphone as a radio. OH you want to listen th Honda Awesome Entertainment system, then get a better battery.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I agree the window buttons don't consume power unless the buttons are pressed. What about the interior lights and headlights that stay on after the door is closed? They consume power... though not on the level of a radio with an amp.
Interior cabin lights are on a short cycle auto off, as long as they have not been switched to the permanent "ON" state with the power switch. As soon as you close the door, the timer begins, and it slowly reduces voltage to the lights (ie: they fade out slowly) over a period of 30 seconds or so, until they are completely off.

Cabin lights though do not draw that much power compared to the several minute power down sequencing that the vehicle initiates on it's own.

Are you saying that driving the stereo for a maximum of 10 minutes (make it a setting, off, 5 min, 10 min) or until the door is closed is going to negatively effect the performance of the battery?
Given the way the Head Unit is integrated with other systems in the vehicle, as well as the large power amps that are in all but the lowest trim levels.. running the radio for any extended period of time is absolutely an unwise thing to do.

Keep in mind, most Honda's when parked and turned off, do not have a fully recharged battery (due to the dual charge methodology Honda uses). Further.. an older battery may still have plenty of power (CCA) to start a CRV, but may NOT have sufficient reserve capacity to tolerate letting the vehicle operate in a powered up manner, including just the head unit on and music playing.

Your vehicle.. you can use it any way you like... but I personally would never let a Honda, any modern Honda, sit parked and drawing notable power from the battery. And I maintain my battery and test it monthly, and even a full capacity battery is not going to get treated this way by me. Reason: once your battery is sitting parked, below 95% charge, the slow process of plate sulfation begins, and it accelerates as your charge goes down on your starter battery. Which is why keeping a starter battery on a smart charger/maintain works so well for prolonging battery life.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most modern vehicle I have driven will leave the radio on after you shut the vehicle off, until you open a door (or 10 minutes or something similar). I have noticed om my new CR-V (EX-L Hybrid if that matters) that as soon as I push the Start/Stop button the Radio is shut off. Is there a way to enable a delay on turning off the radio?

only thing you can do is place in neutral and have e brake engaged....

·
Registered
671 Posts

My 8 year old low trim level truck has this little nice feature too. Your music stays on for a couple minutes, or until you open the door. I miss it when I drive the CRV. It lets you listen to your music or whatever while you unbuckle, and gather your stuff before exiting. Unfortunately the CRV doesn’t have this nicety.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,850 Posts
I have owned several new cars since, when?...2007? Every one has had this retained power for radio use, EXCEPT the Gen 5 CR-V. I am always surprised when I shut it off and the radio goes with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts