Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you having "driveway moments?" :D

I wonder if that's an American thing, my previous CR-Vs never did that. Though I never had a gen 4. I feel like GMs have done that since the 90s though. In my wife's 2011 EX you can operate the windows after turning off until you open the doors but no radio. You have to put it in ACC causing the radio to reboot.

In the hybrid I've already gotten accustomed to hitting EV mode and Climate Control Off to achieve a similar mode. Plus the added bonus that I can still drive around to change parking spaces while I wait for the wife to come out of the store!
You're all correct. Nearly every reputable car in the last 25 years has had what the industry calls "retained accessory power". I asked the Honda software engineer I bought my Gen 5 Touring from and he acted like this was something new that Honda hadn't yet considered (what a joke since both of my previous Gen 1 and Gen 3 CR-Vs both had this. Seems like Honda has far too many liability attorneys and far too few top shelf engineers (like they used to).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most modern vehicle I have driven will leave the radio on after you shut the vehicle off, until you open a door (or 10 minutes or something similar). I have noticed om my new CR-V (EX-L Hybrid if that matters) that as soon as I push the Start/Stop button the Radio is shut off. Is there a way to enable a delay on turning off the radio?

Thank you for any input you may have.
All you have to do after shutting off the car, is hit the START button one time (foot off the brake) to access the ACCESSORY mode. Your radio can then be played with the car not running.

·
Registered
2004 CRV EX MT, 2006 CRV EX AT, 2007 Odyssey EX-L AT, 2017 CRV EX-L AT
28 Posts
All you have to do after shutting off the car, is hit the START button one time (foot off the brake) to access the ACCESSORY mode. Your radio can then be played with the car not running.
I have a 2017 CRV.... I agree this will do it. Unfortunately, it takes a good minute for the radio to "reboot" (could be shorter or longer, I never timed it). But the point is, there is no more pulling in to the garage, killing the engine so you don't fill it with CO, and listening to the end of the song. Now, I pull up to the outside of the garage door, sit on the driveway and listen to the end of whatever, and then pull into the garage and shut off the car.

An annoying workaround.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
48 Posts
I keep a small radio in the glove box to listen to if I have to wait in the car. I've noticed that AM reception is affected ( a howl or whine ) for a few minutes after the car is shut down. Something is active and generating RFI, and I do see a voltage drop during those few minutes. Once the noise stops, the windows are shut off.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,813 Posts
Some time ago I remember a discussion here about this. Accessory Power After Turning Off Ignition in 2018 I think there is a way to keep the radio playing with the engine shut off. Perhaps it was shutting the engine off and leaving the shifter in D? Be sure to apply the e-brake. Also, IIRC, the Canadian versions have a different procedure to accomplish this.

EDIT : I found this from member marty: A bit complicated... (SHORT VERSION AT END)
"..On US models you can stop the engine and end up in Park with no interruption of Acc. power but it's a little more complicated and you end up in Ignition mode. Here's the procedure:

1) After vehicle comes to a stop, shift to Park and continue to hold in the shift lever button.
2) Remove foot from brake pedal.
3) With your left hand, press the Stop/Start button twice. Engine will stop and accessories will remain powered in Ignition mode.
4) Release the shift lever button.

If interested, here's the nitty-gritty:
  • Start/Stop button first press: The engine stops but because shift button is held in the logic thinks it's not in Park so power switches to Acc. mode.
  • Start/Stop second press: Power switches to Ign. mode but because brake pedal isn't pressed, engine doesn't start.
  • Release shift button: Logic now sees vehicle in Park but because power is in Ign. mode it stays on.
SHORT VERSION:
After coming to a stop, press the Stop/Start button once. Engine stops and power switches to Acc. mode, keeping the radio on.
  • Do not shift to Park, as that kills the Acc. power. Apply the parking brake if you don't want to keep your foot on the brake pedal.
  • Shift to Park before leaving. There will be audio and visual alarms to remind you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most modern vehicle I have driven will leave the radio on after you shut the vehicle off, until you open a door (or 10 minutes or something similar). I have noticed om my new CR-V (EX-L Hybrid if that matters) that as soon as I push the Start/Stop button the Radio is shut off. Is there a way to enable a delay on turning off the radio?

After you turn off the motor and still want to listen to the radio, just press the Start/Stop button for the ACC mode. My wife's 2015 Highlander does the same thing: turn off the vehicle engine and the accessories stop until you press the button until the Accessories come on.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Why would you want a delay in the radio going off? Does it take you 10 minutes to get out of the car?

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Why would you want a delay in the radio going off? Does it take you 10 minutes to get out of the car?

10 minutes, not normally. But I take it you have never wanted to listen to the end of an interview that is ongoing when you reach your destination, a news story, or a weather report? For work, I have to travel to customer production sites, it is very common that when I arrive I have to call my contact to meet me at an entrance or turnstile, I will often call them from the car, to arrange this. Sometimes they are not at their desk, or able to take the call, in those cases, yes, I will set in the warm car (Its 18 here this morning) until I can make contact.

Other vehicles I have owned, when you put the vehicle in park, and turn it off, they go to the accessory mode, until a door is opened. They do this with no determent to the battery lifecycle, again most vehicles this seems to be canceled at 10 minutes.

In older cars, where you actually had to turn a key, this was a none issue as you could just turn the key one click to turn off the engine, and be in acc. mode.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just think, a few yrs ago this discussion would have been all about why we can't get a push button starter instead of a key. Everything comes with a price.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I believe you can shut the car off without putting it into Park and continue to listen to the radio. When you exit the car remember to move the gear selector to the Park position. I too liked to be able to continue listening to the radio after turning off the car and could do it with a Ford Focus.

·
Registered
153 Posts

That's how it is on my wife's 2018 CR-V but with my 2021 Pilot, the radio stays on until I open the door. I don't know why there is a difference. However, if I want to turn the engine off and listen to the radio, I will just put it in accessory mode. That is something I rarely do. The first time I turned the engine off on my 2021 Pilot and the radio stayed on I thought there was a problem, until I opened the door. I'm surprised I didn't physically turn it off before opening the door.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts