Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Radio Serial Number

348 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Dragonrider99
Hi All,

I have tried to access the radio serial number by pressing 1 & 6 on the radio when switching on the radio. but nothing comes up. I can access the Nav settings/diags screen. but all I get for the radio is the prompt for entering the code. I had a senior moment yesterday and left the lights on and it drained the battery. Was able to jump start the car but the battery was so low the radio/sat nav now is just a console filler!
Any ideas, or is it a trip to the dealer? I do not have the owners manual, I did find a music CD in the player and have sent that back to the previous owner asking if she still had the book, but no reply.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,557 Posts
I know that there are equipment and operational differences in UK and USA cars.

In the USA we can download a free PDF of the manual at the Honda OwnerLink.

owners.honda.com or

In the UK you might find it here

but I didn't see a selection for a 2011.

· Registered
2011 CR-V EX 4WD in Ionized Bronze Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have had a look at the US manual for some info. I have used trial and error to operate the sat nav. I have looked in the glove compartment, but it is not there. I will try the 1&6 again, but this time without letting it go into the "enter code" screen first.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,585 Posts
So, if I understand correctly, you have a Gen3 CRV, lost power and now the radio needs it's security code in order to operated after power was restored? Yes?

So, you are seeking the serial number of the radio, so you can then look up the security code?

I know in the US, we can enter our VIN number on a Honda site and get the code, but for the UK and EU the recovery method is different, so you may need to consult with a dealership to retrieve the code.

The prior owner would either have the OEM tag that came with the keys, or has long since misplaced it.

My US gen3 came with the security code for the radio that was on a tag that came with the keys, and the owner was instructed to store it somewhere safe in case it is needed in the future. Mine actually came with a sticker with the code on it as well, and I simply found a safe obscure spot on the CRV to attach that in case I ever needed it (which I did when changing out the battery).

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes williamsji, you understand correctly, but no info regarding the radio came with the vehicle. So will try the 1&6 again, but this time press them before switching on the ignition and see what happens.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,585 Posts
Yes williamsji, you understand correctly, but no info regarding the radio came with the vehicle. So will try the 1&6 again, but this time press them before switching on the ignition and see what happens.
(y) (y)

If the 1&6 buttons don't work for you, then I think you need to reach out to a dealer to look up your security code for you. Be sure to write it down and put it where you can find it for the next time you have either a dead battery or need to swap out a bad battery. :)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the 1&6 again, but every time the ignition is switched on the radio goes into the intro screen the switches to wanting the code. That goes off and then the power switch has no effect what so ever. So dealer it is :). Checked the service book and the only thing completed on that was the registration number. Best not lose any keys!

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
108 Posts
It looks like the only way to get the serial # is to actually pull the radio out far enough to see the back of it where the number is located. That is what the dealer will end up doing I am sure because you need it along with the VIN to get the code. The only other possibility is to contact Honda and see if they can look up the build record for the VIN. It should contain the serial # of the radio.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I will look at removing the radio, I guess the surrounding trim is just prised off?

I have just found a few you tube videos, seems quite straight forward.

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
108 Posts
Yeah it is not that difficult at all. If you have any plastic pry tools use those otherwise just be gentle with it. I just purchased this set and I love it! It has everything you might need to remove virtually any panel in a car including replacement fasteners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts