Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I actually had the opportunity to meet up with a friend who also owns a 2008 CRV like mine. His project was to sound proof the cargo area where the spare tire sleeps and the back hatch back door. I went over to watch the process because I am trying to find more ways to cut down on road noise and was curious how or if the “killmat” or “dynamat” sheets worked.
After the hatchback door was finished we decided to turn on some music and start rolling the shiny foil squares. However that’s where the problem came in. There is no sound from any speakers. There wasn’t any wires in on the back hatch door that needed to be removed or anything. He literally just stuck the sheets to bare panels and nothing at all to do with wires. He toggled between all FM, AM and AUX. nothing.
The radio itself does show “st” so I’m assuming it’s getting a stereo signal.
The one thing I noticed is the speakers makes a “thump” sound when you first turn on the key. The best way to describe this sound is plugging an amp wire into a guitar or that pop you hear when you put the needle on a record.
We didn’t check the fuse box since the radio was on and seemed to be working.
I told him I would put a message here on the CRV forums and see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Just eliminating any possibility that the volume has been turned down? OEM radio? Any subs? Anything touched the speaker terminals?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just eliminating any possibility that the volume has been turned down? OEM radio? Any subs? Anything touched the speaker terminals?
All good points and thanks for your reply. We tried every volume level 1-40 and no sound at all. It is indeed the stock Honda OEM radio that came with the vehicle and nothing broke the connection to the battery. There are no subs, amps or crossovers in this vehicle; all stock. I will have to get with him possibly tomorrow to see if there is anthing going on with the wiring. He actually was playing the radio when I first arrived and turned it off while we were talking. It was a several hours later that he went to turn the radio back on and there was no sound. I will check back to see if he did anything in the doors prior to me coming over but he did say he was just starting the project and started in the rear part of the vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try playing a CD.
I gave him a call and asked him to put in a CD and try it. He walked out to the vehicle, it loaded the CD and started counting time as if it was playing music and still no sound.
Your suggestion made me also ask him if he could hear Spotify via cell phone & aux cable. It also showed on his phone it was playing music but all 4 speakers have no sound with this method as well.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
You didn't state what trim level this car is.

The EX-L has a subwoofer under the front passenger seat, and with the stock system being rated at 270 watts, it probably has an external amplifier too. If the radio has satellite capability, it's an EX-L trim car.

I don't know where the amplifier would be located, but my guess is A) he has one, and B) it's not working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't state what trim level this car is.

The EX-L has a subwoofer under the front passenger seat, and with the stock system being rated at 270 watts, it probably has an external amplifier too. If the radio has satellite capability, it's an EX-L trim car.

I don't know where the amplifier would be located, but my guess is A) he has one, and B) it's not working.
Opps sorry about that. It is a 2008 CRV 4WD LX model. He has the little pull out tray under the passenger seat like I do in mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Symptoms of one or the other. Check fuses anyways.
I dont think this radio has a mute button, only on/off.
I'll be heading back over there tomorrow to look at it. He has a LX model and a plastic tray under the passenger seat. He has everything factory (speakers & radio) and no aftermarket items or amps.
I thought if the radio fuse was blown he wouldn't have power to the radio itself but he does. His steering wheel controls and everything seems to work but without sound.
Is there a fuse for speakers themselves or just the 7.5amp radio fuse?
Being that it makes a slight buzz or pop sound when you first turn on the vehicle make me think there could be a short somewhere.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Usually radios have two power sources. One constant and one switched. If constant fuse blown normally you just loose presets, but who knows..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
** Update New Symptom**

I called my friend to ask about the buzz / pop sound. I was curious to know if it was all speakers popping together or just one or two.
He said what he did was turn the key on but not start the vehicle and he right away heard a pop from the driver front door speaker. He switched off the key and turned it back on this time listening to see if the passenger front speaker popped but it did not. the sound was still coming from the driver front. Again he turned off the key, leaned the seat back to get his ear closer to the driver rear door. He turned the key and all 4 speakers turned on with music playing. I think he defiantly needs to take that driver front door skin off and see whats going on in there.
Could this still be a radio issue or does it sound like a speaker and wire problem?

·
2,811 Posts
Sounds like he may have inadvertently caused a double ground, or an inappropriate grounding where there should not be one. This should trip fuses, but it depends. I'd check the entire speaker wiring harness, especially anywhere it may have been disturbed during the job. Look for a rubbing raw wire, or a broken wire. Especially at doors. With the volume on, wiggling wires may find it. This issue didn't start until the job did, so it's highly likely the cause. It's just a matter of some painstaking and careful searching to track it down. Keep checking fuses too, as checking all this may trip them too. Also, check for a loose ground. One lost ground could be the cause as surely as one broken wire. And a broken wire may not be visible as it could be broken inside the insulation. It could also be a loose or corroded pin in a connector that worked until it was disturbed. Tracing signal and ground with a meter might also find it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow
Thanks for this information
my car is a gift to me and I don't know the history of the car at all.
My 2008 rear speakers don't work now I can check the connections on the radio. Its not the front / rear fade or the balance issue but I see some strange wiring in the footwell that don't match the original wiring.
the rear speakers are connected in the doors "they wired for sound" with no sound Regards
:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanted to do a follow up with this discussion. We ended up reversing all his previous steps, removed the rear hatchback interior panels and closely searched for any skinned or damaged wires. We removed all 4 interior door panels to check the speaker connectors and wire condition. We also put a meter on all speaker wires to see if we could find continuity to ground but had no luck. We also cleaned up any corrosion on both the speaker connections and the chassis ground as well as pulling and inspecting the fuses. This whole process took many, many hours to complete but we never found anything that we could say was the cause of the original problem.
We put everything back together and have yet to have the popping or non-working speaker issue return.
Possibly something was pinched before causing the issue and was free once we started removing panels at this point we don't know but I will gladly post our finding if the issue comes back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts