Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been driving our 17 Touring AWD for 5 months now and find the rain sensing intermittent wipers useless. Even on the most sensitive setting, the wiper does not activate often enough. This is one feature that did not need to be automated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My experience with the automatic wipers has been positive. I keep the variable sweep setting near the midpoint. Able to sense even a light mist on the windshield and will sweep once to clear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have been driving our 17 Touring AWD for 5 months now and find the rain sensing intermittent wipers useless. Even on the most sensitive setting, the wiper does not activate often enough. This is one feature that did not need to be automated.
I haven't had the chance to use mine yet on my CR-V but have used them for years in other vehicles. My guess is either that you are extremely picky about wanting the wipers on even with a slight mist, or your system is not functioning properly and needs a warranty fix.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My experience with the automatic wipers has been positive. I keep the variable sweep setting near the midpoint. Able to sense even a light mist on the windshield and will sweep once to clear.
I too find them to work just fine. They even surprise me at times, pleasantly, as they come on with very little water on the windshield. I like them. If yours are not working either you are expecting too much or you have a issue that needs to be resolved. You have a 3 year- 36,000 mile warranty on that car. Don't complain here, take it to the deal and have it checked out if you feel its not right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We had an Audi A4 that had the automatic wipers and they worked MUCH better the the CR-V's. On a recent road trip ran into a few storms where the wipers were slow to start and would stay at intermittent or slow speed during a down pour and then when the rain started to let up they then went to high speed. Also had a couple times with no raid at all and they started up for one cycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is my first car with automatic rain sensing wipers and I'm pretty pleased with them. The only problem I have is forgetting to turn them off when I enter a car wash lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may need to reset fuse #18. My wipers were working as just standard intermittent wipers until I visited the postings about the auto high beam not working. Visit that thread and you will see more about how to reset you wipers and headlights system. The fuse box is located under the hood on the right side. Open the cover and inside you will find a fuse puller and a map showing the location of the 10A fuse labled Backup.

There is a Honda Tech Line Summary Article shown in one of the postings that will explain what you need to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree they don't work - for the opposite reason.

On the least sensitive setting, the wipers on my '17 AWD Touring wipe too often.

I had rain-sensing wipers on my '99 'Benz and '07 BMW. They worked very well on both vehicles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No complaint on mine, very satisfied it goes on/off slow mededium and fast depeding on the pour. I cant say its useless

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may need to reset fuse #18. My wipers were working as just standard intermittent wipers until I visited the postings about the auto high beam not working. Visit that thread and you will see more about how to reset you wipers and headlights system. The fuse box is located under the hood on the right side. Open the cover and inside you will find a fuse puller and a map showing the location of the 10A fuse labled Backup.

There is a Honda Tech Line Summary Article shown in one of the postings that will explain what you need to do.
That's my experience...regardless of how hard or not the rain is falling, the "auto" works as a standard intermittent. Looking forward to trying the fuse fix! Thanks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I'm having the same issue as the OP. Rain sensing wipers work, but they're not consistent. Even at the highest sensitivity, they sometimes don't come on until the windshield is so full of water I can't see much of the road. Other times it kicks in with a tiny bit of water on the windshield (same sensitivity setting). I wonder if I simply have a sensor that's wonky. Living in the PNW, so rain is something we have on a regular basis.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Took our first wet road trip with our 18 Touring and the sensing wipers worked "spot on" (or should be spots off) perfectly! It never really rained, but was off and on misting. They sensed and wiped appropriately for the few hours of mist!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I experienced a similar issue today on my 2019 CRV. The automatic wipers just didn't cope well with the British weather. Even at max sensitivity, the wipers weren't coming on as often, particularly at low driving speeds. At motorway speeds, they were doing a reasonable job, although not coping well with the sudden splash of spray from a passing HGV. At traffic lights, the wipers would just sleep and needed waking up by rotating the sensitivity wheel. This wasn't an issue on my previous accord 2006 (Acura saloon for US). Automatic wipers working in harmony with the British weather is very much a necessity here. Will check with the dealership if they have any suggestions.

The heated steering wheel is great though, and I am just getting used to peeping through the head up display.

Also installed dash cams front and back. The Honda elegance floor mats were pricey though at £75 uninstalled, £110 fitted.

Thank you

·
Registered
367 Posts
I experienced a similar issue today on my 2019 CRV. The automatic wipers just didn't cope well with the British weather. Even at max sensitivity, the wipers weren't coming on as often, particularly at low driving speeds. At motorway speeds, they were doing a reasonable job, although not coping well with the sudden splash of spray from a passing HGV. At traffic lights, the wipers would just sleep and needed waking up by rotating the sensitivity wheel. This wasn't an issue on my previous accord 2006 (Acura saloon for US). Automatic wipers working in harmony with the British weather is very much a necessity here. Will check with the dealership if they have any suggestions.

The heated steering wheel is great though, and I am just getting used to peeping through the head up display.

Also installed dash cams front and back. The Honda elegance floor mats were pricey though at £75 uninstalled, £110 fitted.

Thank you
I found the rain-sensing wasn't as sensitive as I wanted on my 2018 Touring. I applied Rain-X to the windshield and it made a big difference. The rain now beads which makes it much easier to see between swipes, especially at night.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For people having issues, are you leaving your wipers on auto all the time? I also had this issue at first, where it seemed like the wipers weren’t activating quickly enough and sometimes I’d have to manually adjust to get them going. After reading the manual, learned that you aren’t supposed to leave these on auto and it also states leaving them on auto all the time can damage the system. Basically I turn it on to auto when it starts to rain and it has always worked well for me. If it’s barely raining/misting, I’ll still turn it and leave it on auto for my entire duration of my trip and it works well. I just don’t leave it on auto all the time unless I’m anticipating precipitation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts