Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an USB drive with around 400 MP3s across multiple folders plugged in to my '17. I recently started using the "Random All Tracks" feature. It doesn't seem very random though...the same songs seem to keep popping up. If it happened occasionally I would chalk that up to coincidence in the random distribution. But it happens a lot, and many tracks haven't appeared once in the rotation.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if their "random" method is really random or is based on some faulty algorithm.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 12-16 CR-V random takes the first 128 entries on the flash drive and if 64 are directories you only get 64 songs in random order.

I bet the 17-19 have the same stupid logic.

to get around this create a new flash drive and list all your mp3 and get a random number table off the internet with the same number as you have songs and create directories numbered 02 to nn where you do not put more than 20 songs in any folder and turn off the random play - I have 6000 songs and had to do that else I heard the same 40 over and over. Without random songs are played in the order that they are written onto the usb flash drive.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I haven't yet had occasion to do this, but my understanding is that the problem is in your head unit's poor handling of the file/folder structure. There is much discussion of this on YouTube, and some say you can use a USB external SSD instead of a thumb drive, which may or may not resolve the issue, depending on what head unit you have. Some research there might help.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,209 Posts
The 12-16 CR-V random takes the first 128 entries on the flash drive and if 64 are directories you only get 64 songs in random order.

I bet the 17-19 have the same stupid logic.

to get around this create a new flash drive and list all your mp3 and get a random number table off the internet with the same number as you have songs and create directories numbered 02 to nn where you do not put more than 20 songs in any folder and turn off the random play - I have 6000 songs and had to do that else I heard the same 40 over and over. Without random songs are played in the order that they are written onto the usb flash drive.

there are a few threads about file structure and file format. one is listed below. if you search, you will find more..

[url]https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/20-mobile-electronics/142514-issue-playing-mp3s-via-usb-2017-touring.html
[/URL]

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have three folders on a USB stick, each folder with about 990 MP3s in it. When I select a folder and set it to play randomly within the folder, that's what I get, and it seems to play the songs randomly enough. I don't think it has the programming to ensure that a song doesn't replay before all songs have played, so there is the occasional frequent repeat.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It seems random to me but then I only have 560 songs set in four folders.
I also am very quick to press the skip button on the steering wheel if it's a song I am not in the mood to hear. If your seriously into music I suggest using MXPlayer Via Hondahack.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.