Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

My CR-V has devleoped a random problem when slowing down to stop. Once the clutch pedal is pressed the revs build to 2000rpm for a few seconds then drop. I've got a 2002 with 95k on the clock.
Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Matt

·
Everything in Moderation
8,086 Posts
First thing to try is cleaning the throttle body.

Be careful doing this, as the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) could be damaged if solvents get on it. Use a rag soaked in throttle body cleaner (NOT carb cleaner). Don't just spray cleaner into the butterfly opening!

That said, there ARE several instances where the TPS has failed and Honda has replaced the entire throttle body. (The TPS is riveted on) I understand that some aftermarket companies have sourced replacement TPS sensors alone, but I am not familiar with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have tried that on Sunday and the problem still persists. I did it with the TB still on the car, so not sure if it was cleaned thoroughly enough. Perhaps the next thing to do is take it off an clean it fully?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,086 Posts
Perhaps the next thing to do is take it off an clean it fully?
You have to get the backside of the butterfly clean. I have used a foam (not cotton) swab, soaked in intake cleaner, on some cars successfully, without removing the throttle body.

PS: I'm remembering a point in the service manual about performing the Idle Learn Procedure whenever the TB is cleaned. If you can't find it with a SEARCH let me know and I'll look it up

There may also be an Idle Air Control involved, these include a screen that can get gummed up and cause a variable idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your help. I cleaned it out with a rag and cleaner with the butterfly open but prehaps didn't get enough off?
I'll take the air intake assembly off again at the weekend and have another look. Will also clean the IACV if that's easy enough?

Had a quick search for the learning procedure and didn't find it, if you've got it to hand that would be great!

Thanks again,
Matt

·
Everything in Moderation
8,086 Posts
Idle Learn Procedure CR-V

Had a quick search for the learning procedure and didn't find it, if you've got it to hand that would be great!

Thanks again,
Matt
< sigh > I hate typing...

This from my '06 shop manual:

1. Make sure all electrical loads are off (AC, lights, audio, fan, etc)

2. Reset the ECU (with code reader, or by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Make sure you have the radio code handy if you have the factory radio! ) :eek:

3.Turn the ignition switch ON (position II) and wait 2 seconds.

4. Start engine. Hold engine speed at 2000 - 3000 RPM without load...this warms up the engine rapidly. Let the cooling fan cycle on.

5. Let the engine idle for 5 minutes, throttle fully closed. If the cooling fan comes on, do not count that time in the 5 minutes.

Done. :)

Spec for auto trans is 650 +/- 50 RPM in neutral, 700 +/- 50 RPM with all electrical loads ON.

PS looking at the manual just now, it mentions that a clogged PCV can affect idle speed (makes sense)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts