Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing DIY Rear differential fluid change for 2008 CRV.
Anyone can advise the Ratchet size for drain and fill bolts. Tried 3/8in. ratchet but unable to fit it in properly.

Thanks for forum help! Ed

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have not done change personally, but have done a fair amount of research and (assuming Honda did not change plug specs) that should be the correct fitment. Are you using the driver or an extension inserted into plug?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Take a sharp tool like a dental pick or sharp screwdriver and scrape all the road grime out of there. I'm doing mine this Fall and I'll bring a wooden mallet to give a breaker bar a little help (gently, of course). As has been said previously, make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid !! Good luck. Craig

·
Banned
806 Posts
Usually a 3/8 will work. However, a few years back I ran into a situation where 3/8 was too big and 1/4 was too small. I ended up buying a tool of the tool truck. The tool guy knew exactly what I needed. Not sure what your issue is, if 3/8 is too big or too small. You may just have junk built up in where the extension would go.

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the driver itself. 3/8in should be the correct one by all accounts. Maybe road gunk has clogged it up. Will try clearing that or 1/4in. ratchet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3/8 was too big, could not fit it in snugly. Will try scrapping off dirt, otherwise the 1/4". Tks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts