Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this rattle inside my door at speed. I took the door panel off and test drove. The rattle is louder without the door panel on so I think I am getting close. Its a wind driven rattle. The more windy it is outside and/or the faster I am driving the rattle is worse. Like if there is a gust of cross wind, the rattle is worse. I inspected inside the door, there is nothing loose, no rocks, no loose bolts, nothing rubbing.

I was surprised how loud the wind noise coming from inside the door with the door panel off. Where is the wind coming into the door to cause something to rattle. I am stumped.

The next thing I was going to do it take off the black molding on the lower door. Those clips are the only big openings in the door metal where wind could come in.

Also, I have replaced all the weather strip on this door and the weather strip attached to the car door opening on the body.

Have any one you won this battle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check the fuzzy black covers under the car. If the front of one of them comes loose I could see it causing some noise. Little black plastic locking clips hold them on.

·
1,978 Posts
My best guess would be that the window glass is rattling in the track. Possibly when you replaced one of the various weatherstrips you knocked it out of alignment, or improper placement or fit of the new material is allowing wind in to blow the glass around. It is definitely NOT a Gremlin, as he would have escaped when you took off the door panel. Unless it's the ghost of a Gremlin, in which case all bets are off. Or, as said above, sometimes these noises are telegraphing themselves from somewhere else on the car and only sound like they are coming from there. I call that inanimate ventriloquism. It's something I dealt with a lot during my truck driving years. Never could stand a rattle in the cab, it would drive me crazy, which is not a long trip anyway. Sometimes the noise I was hearing was coming from something far away from where it sounded like it was coming. From. I hate when that happens, especially when it leads to a water leak in the rain, or a breakdown, like when the engine is about to fall out. Stuff like that. You know what I mean. I hate when my ears play tricks on me. Like the other day, when I was trying to put my glasses on, and, for a minute, my ears acted like they weren't there. Aargh!

Anyway, good luck with it. Let us know how it works out, in case it comes up on my '07.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Its not a window rattle. Its a plastic to metal or metal to metal noise. I tighten the door handle last night. No change. I may resort to silicon over every opening in the door, clips and bolt holes from the inside. Taking the mirror off next to inspect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolved. After chasing this noise and losing, I took the car to a body shop and they fixed it. Taking test drives with a stethoscope with the door panel off, they found the noise to be from the rocker panel trim, that lower black slab molding below the doors on the outside of the car. All the clips were loose or broke creating the flutter wind noise. I hope this helps someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts