Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently brought a 2016 CRV and noticed a rattling within the Center console.

It sounds like a loose screw or small part is moving around when I turn corners etc... nothing major but irritating now I know it’s there. It may be a possibility that a previous owner has dropped something in the consoles rear air vents.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any ideas what panel I should remove to look for the culprit item?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rattles can "drive" us nuts. And you are right, now that you know it is there, it will forever be there bugging you. Here's some suggestions.

- The most expensive route, take it to an auto body shop or a shop that installs car interiors. Either who has experience working on Honda CR-Vs. Where they get their experience: customers return the car and complain there's a squeak or rattle that wasn't there before. Those guys have to track it down or risk an angered customer. End result, those guys can zero in on your rattle, ID what it is, and have it fixed within minutes, typically.

Vignette: I watched a paint and body shop owner find the source of a rattle, pop off the passenger door panel, tighten a screw, bam, rattle/squeak was gone. Two guys tracked it down. And get this, they used a stethoscope noise vibration detector (on eBay for $40 to $100, shipped). There's also one that looks like a doctor's stethoscope that has an 18" rod connected to the tubes instead of the pad doctors press on your chest.

Taking it to a shop may cost you $100, so have at it if you are mechanical and a risk taker (taking apart plastic is always a risk, cracking or breaking the clips, sides, or pieces).

I'd DIY:

- Use a driver, while you're in the passenger or back seat detecting where the rattle is occurring.

- Buy an interior or lights disassembly kit (sometimes called a dashboard or detailing tools). For about $10 shipped on eBay you get levers, hooks, and other tools that won't damage your car. The kit includes tools that are bright orange plastic. Really el cheapo tools, but they get the job done.

- For about $15 shipped you can get 200 or so clips that are used throughout a Honda CR-V (buy by brand, model or year). The clips are used on the lights, fender wells, dash, console, etc. Handy to have for any job.

- Buy a stethoscope, I would spring for the $50 to $100 model. Those come in handy everywhere, including the house.

- Get a telescoping rod (looks like a radio antenna) that has changeable tips, including a magnet and alligator clip.

- Also get a telescoping rod that has a plunger you press with your finger, pressing the plunger extends little wire clips on the tip. This is used to grab stuff that's in hard-to-reach places. (E.g., a screw that has fallen on to the frame in the engine area.

- And I would get a headband flashlight so you have two hands free.

Good luck. Let us know what it was. (Could be a coin, broken console bit, or a screw that's come loose :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I’ve been to Honda today. They claimed to have fixed the problem - it was in the sunglasses holder casing so they said. Technician took me out, no rattle. Paid £75 for an hrs ‘work’. Drove off the forecourt and rattling as usual...... Returned straight to the dealer and they’ve booked me in to have whole center Console stripped, which requires front seats being removed. Just not sure wether they’re willing to carry out the job under warranty yet. Huge upheaval for such a small problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a few issues to consider on the manufacturer's warranty (if that's what you are talking about, and not a "service contract").

The warranty may EXCLUDE from coverage squeaks, rattles, or any noise the plastic or metal makes, whether from the exterior surfaces, interior, or engine compartment. This is because squeaks, etc. are not typically considered a defect in manufacturing nor a defective part. Akin to this would be someone complaining about tire noise. I suspect the way the law looks at it, squeaks or rattles are simply something we all have to suffer.

Yes, there's arguments against this exclusion because arguably, for example, two pieces of plastic mated together that squeak is a design defect, especially if the problem is common in a lot of that model CR-V.

- The unfortunate thing, even if interior noise is covered under the warranty, if the dealer says "We are not doing that work because Honda does not consider that a warranty defect, covered issue" - what can you do about that response, sue them? Of course not. But I would go to a professions squeak buster instead of relying on the dealer's (incompetent newbie high school interns) to remedy the problem.

- Bottom Line: I would use my tips on finding it yourself. At least try to isolate where it is coming from. That saves a shop 3/4ths the labor required to fix it. (A shop who does interior repairs/restoration, or a body/paint shop can disassemble a console or door panel in minutes.

Note: you may want to take the car to a car stereo retailer and installer. They can take apart with ease your console, dash, door panels, roof liner, etc. They do this when installing stereos, rear backup cameras, etc.

Good luck.

P.S. It could be a washer, dropped coin, broken piece of plastic, loosened screw, tool left inside, or something made of metal that's heavy enough to rattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts