Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I owned three consecutive RAV4s and loved them as well as having pretty good luck with them. The CR-V (at first) didn't exist, then it was too pricey and seemed to lack product maturity so thus I kept on buying RAVs. Toyota is the only other brand I consider worthy (and affordable) competition to Honda. I did not test drive the newest RAV I simply test drove and bought the CR-V. It may not be a fair comparison without testing a newer RAV but so far I am pleased I chose the CR-V. I know you can't please everyone but some design features of the CR-V puzzle me and make me think Honda engineers never really tested a RAV to see what the best niceties too emulate were such as...

1. Where the hell did the internal storage pockets go?
2. Why do I have an almost useless fold down non-real center console?
3. The self adjusting cup holders are cool but they do not open sufficiently
4. Why are the option levels so brain damaged? LX 4WD or waste ur $$$

It's the little things that I feel smart enough to figure out that aren't quite right while the vehicle itself is practically ready for space flight!

Overall though fantastic job Honda, thank you.

-Jim R.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
1. Where the hell did the internal storage pockets go?
2. Why do I have an almost useless fold down non-real center console?
3. The self adjusting cup holders are cool but they do not open sufficiently
4. Why are the option levels so brain damaged? LX 4WD or waste ur $$$
1. They put them in the trunk on the newest model
2. A feature so that mothers could park, walk between the seats, and hit their noisy kids.
3. They tried
4. People like that big navigation screen, it has pretty lights.

That's why I like my 2nd gen Cr-v, does not look like a mini-van and has enough SUV left in it to be manly. TONS of storage pockets, and I got rid of that stupid table you're referring to that can't even hold drinks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I actually like the folding center console. You can place some larger items under it, out of sight like the wife's a purse. It opens up the front. It does allow better acess to the rear if needed, and the rear center passenger gains some leg room. With the 2 gloves boxes, I find I have enough enclosed storage for misc. junk.

I think integrated navigation on cars is silly. There are plenty of fully functional GPS's for 1/4 the price that you can use in any car including rentals... and even remove it and take it wiht you on foot. It just never seemed worth the investment. Besides, in 3 or 4 years most cell phones will have integrated navigation anyway. Technologyi s moving so fast, I want as little as possible in a vehicle I'm going to keep for 5+ years. evn having a CD player is becomming obsolete. I'd almost rather have a USB port for a thumb drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Traded 08 CRV today for a 2010 Rav

Probably not going to be real popular here now but i just got tired of problems with the CRV althouh minor and went back to another RAV today. My wife has a 07 RAV 4 and we have never had to take it back since day one other than oil changes and reg maintenece. Seems like the CRV is about an equal type vehicle but between the dealer screwing up and Honda not takeing care of warrenty like rusted rims the first year and tires wore out at 20K and a few other things i just got tired of takeing it back and traded it today for a 2010 Rav and will let my wife have it and i will drive her 07. Out 97 old toyota has 193K on it and only front brake pads have been replaced. Everything still works great on that. Just not a Honda guy i guess. Toyota put better Yokahama tires on the RAV and they are going strong at 23K. Washer didn't work on the CRV and steel rims rusted and had to pay for new alloy rims. Couldn't get the tpm system working right on the new rims for three trips back at 40 miles each time. All that said the Honda was a good ride and got almost exact same mpg as the RAV. Some people just have better luck with certain brands and dealers. All of you here have been very helpful and wish you all the best luck. Thanks, Some will criticise me over this but some will understand.

a

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably not going to be real popular here now but i just got tired of problems with the CRV althouh minor and went back to another RAV today. My wife has a 07 RAV 4 and we have never had to take it back since day one other than oil changes and reg maintenece. Seems like the CRV is about an equal type vehicle but between the dealer screwing up and Honda not takeing care of warrenty like rusted rims the first year and tires wore out at 20K and a few other things i just got tired of takeing it back and traded it today for a 2010 Rav and will let my wife have it and i will drive her 07. Out 97 old toyota has 193K on it and only front brake pads have been replaced. Everything still works great on that. Just not a Honda guy i guess. Toyota put better Yokahama tires on the RAV and they are going strong at 23K. Washer didn't work on the CRV and steel rims rusted and had to pay for new alloy rims. Couldn't get the tpm system working right on the new rims for three trips back at 40 miles each time. All that said the Honda was a good ride and got almost exact same mpg as the RAV. Some people just have better luck with certain brands and dealers. All of you here have been very helpful and wish you all the best luck. Thanks, Some will criticise me over this but some will understand.

a
Some people are just brand loyal, no shame in that. I'm a big Honda guy. We drove and Odyssey and a Sienna when buying our last car a couple months ago, and to me there is absolutely no comparison. The Odyssey is a much more well executed vehicle IMO. I'm sure a Toyota lover would say just the opposite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda vs Toyota

I think both brands are very comparable. I've actually switched between them at different times: Corolla 88, Accord 86, Accord 92, Accord 01, Corolla 00, Lexus RX 01. My brand new toy is CRV EX-L 10 and I'm absolutely loving it.

Both brands have been extremely reliable going strong well over 100K with proper maintenance. Toyota is usually quieter with smoother transmission. Honda is usually more sporty closer to BMW (my wife's car). It all depends on what person is looking for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a RAV4 4x4 as my rental car in Salt Lake City last week. It drove great, but I still prefer my CR-V. I didn't like the ergonomics of the dash set-up, and the leg-room in front felt less than my CR-V. I did like the real center console, though.

I MUCH prefer the swing-up rear door, versus the swing-out rear door of the RAV.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think it best that it open against the sidewalk, rather than allow you to park and be along the sidwalk with the door open, reason for that, that I think, is so you don't walk out into traffic when parallel parked, and no one can see you as you emerge from behind the wall that is your tail-gate. Either that, or since mine came directly from Japan, they just didn't want to change the hinge around.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
when you park in the garage, you DONT FLIP IT UP INTO THE GARAGE DOOR! I've done it so many time with my Odyssey I dont even care anymore, I just let it slam into the garage door when it's drawn up. That's why it sucks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
This doesn't suprise me. Toyota has been working hard to cut costs on all ocmponents, and it sounds like they either approved an inferior part, allowed for specs to be too wide on thsi compoent, or had inadequate oversight in terms of revision changes, quality control or inadequate testing.

In either case, it's a sign that Toyota has lost their way.

Personally, I find their interiors tacky, of inferior quality and the overall vechile desigg doesn't suit my tastes.

My parents have a '08 Camry, and I'd driven it, and it rides nice and performs well, but has terrible brakes, sloppy handling, too many blind spots, and the engine makes a uninspiring drone. Our Altima is much more fun and engaging to drive, nearly as comfortable and much nicer interiors and exterior design. My dad also liked our Altima better, expect for the firmer ride.

As for the liftgate... I prefer them as I don't get wet while standing behind the vehicle loading and unloading cargo. Plus if you have a oversized load, it's possible to drive short distances with the tailgate open. I've moved a freezer and a lawnmower 2 blocks to and from my in-laws house. You can't do that with a side gate.

Other than garage clearance, I don't see a while of of benefit to the side opening door.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally, I find their interiors tacky, of inferior quality and the overall vechile desigg doesn't suit my tastes.

Other than garage clearance, I don't see a while of of benefit to the side opening door.
I totally agree with these two points. I've always felt that Toyota's interior quality was very chintzy, and their exterior design on some cars isn't all that great. Although lately the same can be said of Honda ( I'm looking at you Ridgeline and Crosstour ).

When we bought our V the side opening gate was just one of the trademark CR-V quirks I was willing to live with. While I don't find it the most convenient thing sometimes, it's not that bad either. Look at how many other vehicles on the road do the same thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.