Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 21 year old Cherokee is getting really rusted and while she runs like a top, it's a stripped model and starting to need more and more work.

My Dad has been driving a 2004 Honda CRV since new and the only "somewhat major" thing replaced is a master cylinder. I'm thinking about buying a used '09 EX-L, but am wondering if I should worry about the 149k it has on it? Clean car fax, everything works and zero rust. I have never had a vehicle with so many options and after driving it the other day, I could get used to the heated leather seats here in Northern, IL!

I'd have to get used to a somewhat wimpy 4 banger, but really don't need anything more at this point. Just looking for something that will last for 5-6 years of mostly weekend driving. I can get the vehicle for $6800. I'm a pretty decent driveway mechanic after nursing kids cars along including brakes, radiators, cv joints, links, axles, ball joints, water pumps, alternators, etc.. so can save money there. Like many, just want to start with a solid platform.

What say the experts?

Steve

·
Registered
340 Posts
Go for it, it's a solid vehicle. 149k is not really that much mileage if it's been serviced at the proper intervals.
Have a 08 EX-L since new. Currently 131k. Only problem ever had was the A/C compressor clutch couple years ago.
I was thinking about replacing it with a new one but since reading about all the problems with the 17,18's decided to keep this one for a couple more years (at least one more). Only thing drives me crazy is the cheap material on the door armrests and the center armrests.
Found covers for the center armrests on Amazon but the door rests are a different story. May have to find an auto upholsterer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, the armrests are tore up! I found solid leather replacement covers for less than $20. With a little labor, they will be better than new.

·
Registered
340 Posts
LOL, the armrests are tore up! I found solid leather replacement covers for less than $20. With a little labor, they will be better than new.
If you get the vehicle and replace the door armrest covers let us know what you bought, and what was involved with installing them.
I'm sure a lot of owners have the same problems with the armrests.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you get the vehicle and replace the door armrest covers let us know what you bought, and what was involved with installing them.
I'm sure a lot of owners have the same problems with the armrests.
For sure--we have a couple of threads here about them getting torn up. I've seen '09 Acura TLs with the exact same problem on the center console armrest. I don't know what possessed Honda to use such a cheap material on these. I read it is caused by lotion, yet I am also thinking the grease in our skin also causes it.

I have two '09s to replace these in. I'm getting disgusted of the constant issues with both of our '09s at this point, quite frankly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For sure--we have a couple of threads here about them getting torn up. I've seen '09 Acura TLs with the exact same problem on the center console armrest. I don't know what possessed Honda to use such a cheap material on these. I read it is caused by lotion, yet I am also thinking the grease in our skin also causes it.

I have two '09s to replace these in. I'm getting disgusted of the constant issues with both of our '09s at this point, quite frankly.
I'm not worried about the center arm rests. I found covers on Amazon and they look and fit fine. What I'm concerned about is the door arm rests with all the windows/locks controls. Mine are basically disintegrated and it looks like a job to replace them. Interior door cover would have to be removed. Who knows what else. It doesn't look like an easy job.

Next time I'm at the Honda dealer I'm going to ask them if they have somebody local that can repair them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a job for sure. Youtube has a few videos and it appears to be at least a 2 hour job. If you are handy, you can end up with a very nice, "real" leather armrest that will last forever for very little money. I'm going for it real soon and will give a detailed report. My driver arm rests are the only flaw on my CR-V and I want them right!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I got replacement ivory leather covers for my '07 EX-L from eBay. They are all made in China, wherever you source them. They are a bit darker shade than OEM. Both the seat armrest ones and the one for the driver's side door armrest are the same color and seem well made and of quality leather (they are not vinyl). I have not installed them yet, but I have an advantage. One of my hobbies is leather work. I make wallets, purses, guitar straps, book covers, belts, and also some Native American stuff, along with beadwork. So, while these do look like they will be somewhat of a pain, they don't look too hard. I will report back when they are done., which, at this point, will depend on the weather. I paid about $32 for the armrest covers - they come as a pair, for both seats, and about $30 for the one for the driver's door. It took them about 3 weeks to arrive from China.

Installing the seat ones will be a wrestling match, to stretch them on. If you apply some baby powder over the old covers it will help, but wipe off any on the outside of the new covers before starting, and wear rubber gloves to keep your fingers from slipping in the powder. The door one will involve some trimming and gluing. You can use sharp scissors or an X-acto knife for the cutting. I use a scalpel with disposable blades in different shapes. You can get leather contact cement from Tandy's or Amazon, it comes in a can with a brush in the lid. Do not get t on the outside surface, it can stain the leather. But it must be applied (like any contact cement) to both surfaces, then allowed to become tacky (two or three minutes or so), then lay the leather down gradually from one edge to the other, taking care to not allow any air gaps or bubbles. Not too difficult, just take your time and be careful and neat. Do the edge trimming after the main glue-up is in place, then glue the edges down, and done. There are some good YouTube videos on this.

I suspect you'd be looking at $250 or more to have this custom done at a shop. Since I do this kind of work on the side, I could have made them, but I don't have a walking foot sewing machine, so I'd have to hand stitch them, and it is relatively difficult to approximate machine stitching by hand. It can be done, but for the price I paid for the Chinese ones I got, I think I will come out okay with a lot less work. You have to pick your battles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go for it, it's a solid vehicle. 149k is not really that much mileage if it's been serviced at the proper intervals.
Have a 08 EX-L since new. Currently 131k. Only problem ever had was the A/C compressor clutch couple years ago.
I was thinking about replacing it with a new one but since reading about all the problems with the 17,18's decided to keep this one for a couple more years (at least one more). Only thing drives me crazy is the cheap material on the door armrests and the center armrests.
Found covers for the center armrests on Amazon but the door rests are a different story. May have to find an auto upholsterer.
The supposed revised material for the driver side door arm rest part number is: 83552-SWA-A22ZA
Its about $180 for the part and you would then have to replace it yourself, but it doesnt look hard. There was a TSB put out by Honda about the arm rests peeling. Check it out.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You can get those door armrest covers on eBay. I got mine for about $32, I think. These all appear to come from the same Chinese factory. I got my center armrest covers off Amazon, and the material and color is the same for both sources.

The door cover takes a little upholstery work but it's not hard. If you can apply contact cement and operate a pair of scissors you can do it. Way cheaper.

·
Registered
2007 CRV EX-L AWD
14 Posts
I say go for it, these Honda's engine will out last the body. I have a '94 Honda accord still running fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts