Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the wrong section first. I'm getting old!

My 21 year old Cherokee is getting really rusted and while she runs like a top, it's a stripped model and starting to need more and more work.

My Dad has been driving a 2004 Honda CRV since new and the only "somewhat major" thing replaced is a master cylinder. I'm thinking about buying a used '09 EX-L, but am wondering if I should worry about the 149k it has on it? Clean car fax, everything works and zero rust. I have never had a vehicle with so many options and after driving it the other day, I could get used to the heated leather seats here in Northern, IL!

I'd have to get used to a somewhat wimpy 4 banger, but really don't need anything more at this point. Just looking for something that will last for 5-6 years of mostly weekend driving. I can get the vehicle for $6800. I'm a pretty decent driveway mechanic after nursing kids cars along including brakes, radiators, cv joints, links, axles, ball joints, water pumps, alternators, etc.. so can save money there. Like many, just want to start with a solid platform.

What say the experts?

Steve

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
149k.....

Barely broke in. Most of us are well over 200k and still running and driving beautifully. My 2003 has 222k on it and no fear of at least another 50k before needing an engine or transmission replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I had a '97 Cherokee, bought from a UT student from New Hampshire (RUST!) with 83k on it. 4.0L, 2-door 5-speed manual 4X4. Loved it. Also had to do a lot of work on it, including having to replace the entire brake system (every last part), so I converted to 4-wheel discs using Ford Exploder parts, which are the same brakes. Turned out well, but the work was a nightmare. Had a lot of heater - A/C problems too. But I loved driving it. Finally sold it to a friend who retired and moved back to Pittsburg. He still uses it with a snowplow attachment.

I think $6800 is a little high for 150k miles. I paid $8k for my '07 EX-L AWD with 92k, but it is pristine, and one owner - a little old lady from Kalifornia! Spotless inside and out.

It is true that these things are known to go for a lot of miles, but I think I'd keep looking if you have the time. It took me about 6 months to find mine and bring it home. Condition is everything. I chose between this one, an '06 RT4WD MT and 155k for $6500, and an '09 EX AWD with 120k for $7500. I chose the '07 because it was so clean (like new), had full maintenance history done correctly, and was garage-kept and well-cared for, all of which made it worth a little more, to me. I had cash and time, so I could choose. Since I retired last year I think it's a good choice for TCO, economy, and comfort. Also good for some traveling I want to do now that I have time.

But, if the '09 has it's maintenance records (you can get a Carfax for $40 which should show most of that, or even better - ask the seller to provide one) and it looks and drives good, you could do much worse. Also, the little 2.4L is pretty peppy, I don't think you'd find it lacking. It's not a hot rod but is easily quite tractable in everyday use, so far, for me. I like mine. Handles nice too for what it is. Better drivability than a lot of cars I've owned. Gets much better mileage than a Cherokee!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decided to go for it. After driving it twice, checking out every inch of it, I felt it was a solid deal. I could not find another EX-L in this price range and condition for $6800 and absolutely none with Navi. Came with the carpet mats and winter mats. Only bummer is they only had one key, so have to figure the best and least expensive way to get another. My Wife called it a Girl's car as she drives a Jeep and I have been driving Jeeps for decades. I gotta say, at my age, the warm tushy isn't bad lol. I can get used to a loaded vehicle..

Few quick pics

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Sport utility vehicle

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Car seat

Land vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda cr-v Multimedia

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Retiredguns - That is a very nice looking ride! Wish I had the power seat, but it was not yet available on the '07's. My only comfort complaint on mine is that, being a retired truck driver, I spent a lifetime sitting up straight at work and in the pickups I mostly drove, and I find the semi-laid-back driving position irritating and unacceptable, so I will be working on a fix for that. First I will see if I can add notches or other adjustability to the seat back to enable it to go more vertical, and if that doesn't work I'll modify the floor bracket mounting to compensate, but I simply can't tolerate sitting that way for long. Good that you got the Nav too, mine also does not have it, but I will be going all aftermarket anyway. I have an extensive ripped music collection, and I want to be able to store it on an SSD connected to the head unit and navigate though it at will on a touchscreen. With over 2k albums anything less would be inadequate. I used to love Jeeps too, but I don't care for anything that didn't come with a 4.0L, so that sort of limits things for me. There are still some decent ones left but I just don't need any more projects.

Tigris99 - Nice Gen2. What, you have some spotlights on your cowl? I don't need them for the reason you do, but we do have a lot of deer and I was thinking of maybe a light bar in the grill for that. My first choice was going to be an '06 with a manual trans, but I could not find one in good enough shape and wound up with an '07 instead, going for condition. My eldest granddaughter Sophia has a very nice '05, and I joke with her about trading. She just smiles and looks at me like I was trying to sell her siding or something. Hmmm.

I simply cannot find it in my heart to feel any sympathy for anyone who chooses to live in a nightmare like that. I was born and raised on the Equator, and did not even know what cold meant until I was ten. Didn't like it, still don't. I was not born with fur, and to me anything below 60 degrees is a hostile environment. Pass. Of course, you guys might not care for the weather here in August, either. But I can run the A/C and it has no effect on my driveway or the streets.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Retiredguns - .....

I simply cannot find it in my heart to feel any sympathy for anyone who chooses to live in a nightmare like that. I was born and raised on the Equator, and did not even know what cold meant until I was ten. Didn't like it, still don't. I was not born with fur, and to me anything below 60 degrees is a hostile environment. Pass. Of course, you guys might not care for the weather here in August, either. But I can run the A/C and it has no effect on my driveway or the streets.
I have a Southern Arizona friend like that. He always said "No humans should ever live North of Interstate 10, and you know when it is cold when I wear socks. He said all this while we were working together in Vermont and South Dakota in the winter!:banana:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
As someone who has spent a good portion of his life in southern California, I can't see living in that much snow. I like to keep my cars clean and that snow isn't conducive to doing that.
Glad to see you went for it, Retiredguns, I hope you enjoy it a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts