Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to post this a while back, but I installed these plugs (ILZKR7B11S) at 99,382 miles (4/29/17) and removed them at 160,176 miles (11/11/21). I bought them from what I thought was a reputable dealer who listed them as new old stock. I posted up on here in late 2019/ early 2020 about what I thought was a shudder in the transmission and just thought it was going out on me. I was going to get a new(er) CRV then COVID hit and my weekly commute went from 296 miles to 0, so I shelved buying a new(er) car.

Fast forward to driving out of town for a wedding (10/21) when I noticed the shudder acting more like a misfire while driving with cruise control and a small incline, so I would just change out the plugs and its cheap and easy.

Here are the plugs. They look pretty bad and the points are gone.

So think I got fake plugs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't stick out in my memory good or bad, which probably means they looked used, but not destroyed. I changed them only because it was near 100k and its cheap and easy maintenance.

I haven't driven far or much since the install, I'll actually be driving to the same venue as the wedding in two weeks for a seniority dinner and I'll be VERY curious to see how it makes the drive, but just the little around town has no more shudder.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,703 Posts
Buying on line? There are lots of fakes being sold on line. I like to go to a reputable auto parts store to buy them. Of course, not all on line buys are fake but how easy is it to return?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
8,189 Posts
Misleading statements by the video with respect to Amazon:

Fake products are a recurring problem now days on Amazon. And sometimes by merchants who use Amazon for fulfillment. Generally, these get scrubbed out by Amazon when they are reported... Amazon bans the merchant for such actions... so report them.

Interestingly, when fake products are being hawked on Amazon, you will generally see the same product being hawked by a number of merchants, sometimes dozens of merchants, as they are all simply buying gray market items at wholesale and then reselling them as genuine.

They are easy to avoid though, with proper attention to detail. Only buy from Amazon as seller, as Amazon is very good about avoiding fakes, and if any do slip through their supply chain, they will make good on them with customers.

Buying from a 3rd party on Amazon is risky unless you know the pedigree of the selling merchant. This is true even if Amazon is fulfilling the order. Watch for squirrely merchant names, and their quoted delivery times. Many are drop shipping from China or India as Amazon has been expanding it's promotions and incentives for international merchants to list in US Amazon.

One other thing to be aware of, Amazon does keep it's stock separate from 3rd parties in their warehouses, but sometimes an item is returned, and during restock.. they cross stock an item into Amazons inventory.

Generally, all of the above applies to other merchant channels as well.. and it is always "buyer beware".

·
Registered
505 Posts
I find it hard to believe they can make fakes that good. That is some craftsmanship! The things the guy was saying in the video about the fakes didn’t present in his “fake” ones. I wonder if NGK does in fact have a Japanese plant and maybe the guy he spoke to doesn’t in fact know everything about them?

I wonder where I can get a fake CRV?

·
Registered
2003 EX KZ Auto. Replacement JDM engine and transmission.
38 Posts
I find it hard to believe they can make fakes that good. That is some craftsmanship! The things the guy was saying in the video about the fakes didn’t present in his “fake” ones. I wonder if NGK does in fact have a Japanese plant and maybe the guy he spoke to doesn’t in fact know everything about them?

I wonder where I can get a fake CRV?
There is a choice.
Shaunghuan SRV
Xin Kai Auto SRV
Huabei RV

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L (no navigation)
98 Posts
I bought and installed 4 NGK 5787 spark plugs on my CRV from rockauto.com for about $10 each. I hope they are not fake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just installed four NGK Ruthenium plugs into my car but i got them from my work (y)

I kept doing a loss sale every day for a month and one day the main warehouse got a shipment of them in, ordered 4 for myself and installed them on New Years. I only have 73K and some change on the clock but the plugs had like a red corrosion on the electrode; google search said that it is from the additives in the fuel i use.

·
Registered
08 EX 2WD 90k
66 Posts
One other thing to be aware of, Amazon does keep it's stock separate from 3rd parties in their warehouses, but sometimes an item is returned, and during restock.. they cross stock an item into Amazons inventory.
Damn! I always thought returned items could not be sold as new.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,832 Posts
Damn! I always thought returned items could not be sold as new.
I'm not sure about that, would probably depend on if the package had been opened, what type if item etc.
Years ago folks here would order stuff from Cabela's, return it and then drive to Sydney, NE and get it for half price in the Bargain Cave. :)
No Bargain Cave anymore though, and the price of gas for a 200 mile drive today would eat into your savings.
But it's getting crazy, they're knocking off Timex watches now.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,666 Posts
You all know you can purchase NGK plugs directly from NGK. They're cheaper than purchasing them from auto parts stores and you know you are getting the real thing!

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Misleading statements by the video with respect to Amazon:

Fake products are a recurring problem now days on Amazon. And sometimes by merchants who use Amazon for fulfillment. Generally, these get scrubbed out by Amazon when they are reported... Amazon bans the merchant for such actions... so report them.

Interestingly, when fake products are being hawked on Amazon, you will generally see the same product being hawked by a number of merchants, sometimes dozens of merchants, as they are all simply buying gray market items at wholesale and then reselling them as genuine.

They are easy to avoid though, with proper attention to detail. Only buy from Amazon as seller, as Amazon is very good about avoiding fakes, and if any do slip through their supply chain, they will make good on them with customers.

Buying from a 3rd party on Amazon is risky unless you know the pedigree of the selling merchant. This is true even if Amazon is fulfilling the order. Watch for squirrely merchant names, and their quoted delivery times. Many are drop shipping from China or India as Amazon has been expanding it's promotions and incentives for international merchants to list in US Amazon.

Generally, all of the above applies to other merchant channels as well.. and it is always "buyer beware".
Yep, there is a great video by FordTechMakuloco about all the Fake Motorcraft parts. I saw it before I ever thought about it on my CRV, which sorta lead me to wonder if I had fake ones.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Buying on line? There are lots of fakes being sold on line. I like to go to a reputable auto parts store to buy them. Of course, not all on line buys are fake but how easy is it to return?
there are a lot of fakes being sold everywhere. I worked at a new car dealer that purposely stocked the shelves with fake parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I buy my plugs from an out-of-state Dealership and will supply based on my VIN. Having said that, when I replace my plugs, I write the mileage, the date, the piston number the spark plug came from on a piece of masking tape and tape to the spark plug so that I have a history of how the cylinder is performing over time. Store the old plug in the box the new spark plug came from. Write the info on the box too. Label each spark plug with the cylinder it came from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There should be a manufacturing # on the socketed part of the plug. With the fake NGKs I bought from Ebay, it started with a C which indicates made in China. Per an NGK rep, my particular NGK plugs are only made in Japan. Ebay didn't give a flip and neither did the seller. Thankfully, I noticed they looked dodgy before installation. If you read enough reviews, you'll find cases where the fake plugs did real damage to an engine. I no longer buy spark plugs on Amazon or Ebay. Way too risky.

With my fakes, the iridium tip looked painted on (definitely not welded). Some have sawed them open to find that the core is the wrong metal as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts