Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading a post where a guy wanted to sue Honda or something over his new V getting really bad mileage. He was getting like 16 MPG, far below the rating for this car. Well, I had a little trip to do today so I carefully checked the MPG on my Touring. The trip was just 18 miles, not a long road trip. It was 1/3 city, 2/3 interstate through the middle of a fair sized city with a couple of big intersections and merging. This was not some flat road steady speed trip. I drive 60 to 70 in the interstate section. There was a slight elevation change so the mileage was a little different on the return side as it was "uphill".

For the first two or three miles the MPG was terrible, only showing like 9 MPG, then slowly coming up to 16, then finally 19. It was looking very bad and had I stopped at that point I would have really felt the car was drinking gas. But I drove on, crossed the river, off the interstate and back on local city streets and arrived at my goal. Checked the mileage...for the 18 mile run....33.2 MPG. Checked it for the trip back home, same roads, same speeds but slightly "uphill". Got 33.0 MPG.

I can not complain about this mileage. Fact is I am very happy with it. But that first five miles I thought about the fellow who was upset over his terrible mileage. I think the issue is as much the programing of the computer system as anything. I mean I showed some pretty dismal MPG the first few miles. But at 18 miles it was 33 MPG. And it duplicated that on the way home driving the same route.

Moral of the story: If you are only driving a few miles and in "town" your MPG is going to look pretty sad. If you drive in a reasonable fashion and go any distance you will see vastly better numbers. I drove from my bank to my house today which is just a tad bit less than two miles and it showed over 25 MPG on that short trip. (Warmed up engine after 18 mile run). That was excellent plus in my book for that little run.

Don't be scared about the new CR-V drinking gas because a few people drove them short trips and perhaps with a heavy foot. This car is great for fuel economy.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Are you getting those really low mileages right after filling up? Every time I fill up with gas, my Trip B resets and it takes 5 to 10 miles before it looks like "normal" mileage for this car. Yesterday, mine started out at 7 or 8 mpg at first, but within 15 miles, I was getting 36 mpg.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have about 2k miles on my. Doing about 21.4 in the city. Highway is a dream i can get it up to 34 mpg. I live in nyc so stop and go everywhere. I am ok with it. Most people will have different numbers. I was getting about 23-24 city with my 2014 kia soul so i am happy with just getting 21ish or so. I think it will boost to 24mpg city during the summer when the winter fuel blend goes away. I also noticed that resetting the trip meter before i start the day gives me different mpg on the same trip. But at the end of the day it comes down to 21.4. I envy the people on here getting 28mpg city they probably live in a small town or city with lots of space.... come to nyc and show me those numbers here...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Pretty much every car gets terrible mileage until it warms up some; cold starts take crazy amounts of gas... it has ever been thus.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I fill up my gas tank when my car is warmed up, my observation is that it takes quite a few miles for the sensors to "catch up" and start to reflect real mileage. Seriously, I had 32 mpg showing, stopped and filled up, and then it went to 8 mpg for the first 8 to 10 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been doing short trips only and the trip Computer shows around 14 mpg per trip. And I just realized was on Eco since I came out of dealership. Planning for some long trips to replicate what hans471+ shared.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine has been pretty terrible so far, but there are some factors: winter gas, new car, lots of short trips, not much highway mileage, lots of using the remote start. Once the weather warms up I figure it should be a lot better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For those of us who have low gas milage, we aren't talking about the MPG after a few miles, we are talking about the average MPG after a tank.
The upside is, I'm getting better after 3rd tank at 27.5 mpg vs 25.2 after the 1st.
Not sure because of the break-in or weather/temp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm averaging 26-28 with mixed city/hwy winter driving in upstate NY. Not as good as I was hoping for but not horrible. I just refilled before my drive home (30min, 3/4 hwy, 50* outside) and I arrived home with 32.5mpg. I'm sure the numbers will climb a bit with warmer weather. My '07 mpg when I traded in this past Jan was 24.5 and I did not baby that for mileage as I find myself doing for my '17. If I drove my '07 the way I'm driving now I may have gotten the same numbers. But...I didn't have my '07 set to zero out at refill, so...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those of us who have low gas milage, we aren't talking about the MPG after a few miles, we are talking about the average MPG after a tank.
The upside is, I'm getting better after 3rd tank at 27.5 mpg vs 25.2 after the 1st.
Not sure because of the break-in or weather/temp.
My first couple of tanks were not great, something like 25 MPG for mixed driving. One trip was interesting however. I have a trip I make periodically that is a bit over two hours long each leg. I have done it a hundred times in my 2012 CR-V and know well the average mileage I got. First time I did that drive my new V only had about 600 or 800 miles or so on it. I noticed that coming home the MPG went up by 2 MPG. And since that trip I see the MPG continue to rise as the miles add up on the car. There are a few factors I think are involved in this:

1) The car is breaking in. Its more than just the engine that breaks in on a car. Its every moving part. Gears, bearings, etc. It takes awhile for this to happen and for the friction to go down.

2) Out side temps and gas blend. I got my V in February and it was still pretty cold here. As the weather has warmed and the gas blends are adjusted this will raise the MPG.

3) The driver. (Me). This car is quieter and smoother than my 2012. I think at first I was likely hitting the gas a little harder than I needed to. The quiet sound and smoothness of the vehicle masked my driving style so I was 'gunning" it more than I needed to.

All these factors add up. I am seeing much better mileage now and it seems to keep improving. I know its a combination of a lot of factors. I have no worries about this car. I already have enough data to see that it is doing much better on fuel than my 2012 did. I am quite happy with how it performs and how much more fuel efficient it is.

With all of that said, different drivers will have different luck with different cars. I think its a combination of driver "style" and the vehicle dynamics. Most of our local driving around town is in our 2015 Fit and it just does great, like well over 30 in town and when we do a run down the super slab it gets in the 40's. Love that car, feels like a little sports car next to the CR-V. But on a trip we love the V for its quietness, smooth ride and comfort. And its pretty good on gas so we are happy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took delivery my 2017 CRV AWD Touring a couple of weeks ago. Today was the third time I drove it. Odo. reading is now only 160 -170 miles. In my short round trip about 40 miles or less a couple of hours ago, mixed freeway (60%) and city (40%), I got 28.6 MPG easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2017 for less than 3 months and the gas mileage is horrendous. I have a short commute to work with lots of stop signs. Basically city driving. This week the MPG is 14.8. Worse than our 2005 which is still on the road in Vermont. 15 MPG for the 2005 wasn't all that bad. I expected much better for 2017. I haven't gone above 15.9. Not happy at all. Sluggish as all hell "off the line" too. Really disgusted since I loved our 2014 which went bad and trading in seemed the logical/best financial decision. I am beginning to wonder what's happening with Honda.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had my 2017 for less than 3 months and the gas mileage is horrendous. I have a short commute to work with lots of stop signs. Basically city driving. This week the MPG is 14.8. Worse than our 2005 which is still on the road in Vermont. 15 MPG for the 2005 wasn't all that bad. I expected much better for 2017. I haven't gone above 15.9. Not happy at all. Sluggish as all hell "off the line" too. Really disgusted since I loved our 2014 which went bad and trading in seemed the logical/best financial decision. I am beginning to wonder what's happening with Honda.
For a lot of stop & go short distance driving, the hybrid may have been a better choice. I was hoping to hold out for the CRV Hybrid but we're already into 2018 with no signs of it....

·
Registered
154 Posts
You don't say which model you have but the following should apply to either engine. First off don't use Econ mode, it gave me worse mileage in city driving and made it sluggish. Try using 93 octane fuel, that gave me a fairly dramatic mpg improvement, more than enough to offset the price difference. The other thing you might try playing with is using "S" mode instead of "D".

On final thought, check the engine oil level and smell. If your mileage is suffering from the engine running very rich to prevent low RPM knocking, your oil may be very fuel contaminated. There are a couple of threads about this on the forum. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to chime in with my experience as this post comes up on the first page of Google results.

I purchased my 2018 EX-L on 4/13 and I've been getting terrible fuel economy in city driving since then.

My work commute is about 4miles of worst case scenario city driving. 10+ stop signs and about 8 stop lights. Pretty much every day I get about 15-17MPG reported at the end of the drive to or from work. The BEST I've gotten was nearly 22MPG and I was pretty pleased with that.

I've got 544mi on the car so far and looking at my total Economy I've got an average MPG of 21.6MPG. The only reason it's that high though is I've done a couple pretty long trips of 60+miles and I've gotten great mileage on those of around 31-33MPG

I'm worried as this gas mileage is barely better than the '93 Chevy with a bad transmission I'm coming off from, and this city driving is much of my driving.

My first tank of gas after my first week of having the car was an 8.6 Gallon fill up with 130mi on the odometer(though I admit I idled the car a good amount that first week, making good use of the remote starter and while reading the manual)

I'm going to try fiddling around with my driving, drive without Econ on, drive in sport mode etc. I don't generally have a heavy foot, but it's somewhat unavoidable on my commute having to constantly go from a stop/near stop up to 25-35mph only to stop in another 1/4 mile.

I'll also check the oil as suggested.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Today I was recalibrating the TPMS which means I need to go between 35-65. So I kept it under 65, on the highway, and had just filled up. I got 32 MPG this time. Usually though I get 28-30 when I'm going faster.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to chime in with my experience as this post comes up on the first page of Google results.

I purchased my 2018 EX-L on 4/13 and I've been getting terrible fuel economy in city driving since then.

My work commute is about 4miles of worst case scenario city driving. 10+ stop signs and about 8 stop lights. Pretty much every day I get about 15-17MPG reported at the end of the drive to or from work. The BEST I've gotten was nearly 22MPG and I was pretty pleased with that.

I've got 544mi on the car so far and looking at my total Economy I've got an average MPG of 21.6MPG. The only reason it's that high though is I've done a couple pretty long trips of 60+miles and I've gotten great mileage on those of around 31-33MPG

I'm worried as this gas mileage is barely better than the '93 Chevy with a bad transmission I'm coming off from, and this city driving is much of my driving.

My first tank of gas after my first week of having the car was an 8.6 Gallon fill up with 130mi on the odometer(though I admit I idled the car a good amount that first week, making good use of the remote starter and while reading the manual)

I'm going to try fiddling around with my driving, drive without Econ on, drive in sport mode etc. I don't generally have a heavy foot, but it's somewhat unavoidable on my commute having to constantly go from a stop/near stop up to 25-35mph only to stop in another 1/4 mile.

I'll also check the oil as suggested.
For the first few weeks its hard to tell whats going on because most of us owners spend so much time just idling in the car trying to figure out all the cool features on the HU. On the other hand now that I have gotten past that point I am noticing something that may be a bug in the way it computes MPG and distance left. I am not sure yet but I plan on documenting it when I fill up again.

Rob

·
Registered
483 Posts
For the first few weeks its hard to tell whats going on because most of us owners spend so much time just idling in the car trying to figure out all the cool features on the HU. On the other hand now that I have gotten past that point I am noticing something that may be a bug in the way it computes MPG and distance left. I am not sure yet but I plan on documenting it when I fill up again.

Rob
lol.. yea i noticed that also.. when in the car messing around with apps.. idling really kills mpg.. it literally drops before my eyes when sitting idle for a while. i started just using the power in accessory mode and not even turning engine on if i just want to mess around with the radio

1 - 20 of 27 Posts