Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took her 2017 CR-V in to get the oil change done. While at the dealer they asked if she wanted this service done for @ $165. They said they were going to spray something near the injectors and rev the engine to "get rid of carbon build up from the gas she uses." Seemed a bit of a $$grab to me.

Again she only has just over 23K miles on the car, and doesn't drive it hard when she does. Online all is see is that fuel injector cleaning really isn't necesarry, in general, until aroud 60K miles.
Is this something we needed to get done? Is this something I can do on my own? I told her to hold off for now.
Advice?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
If we are talking about the 1.5T... forget about it. The engine runs so clean and efficient that carbon deposits are almost non-existgent (per Civic enthusiasts running with the same engine, and breaking them open at 30K miles to remove carbon deposits.. only to find almost nothing).

As for the injectors themselves... if you are using top tier fuel... I doubt very much that an injector cleaning service serves any real purpose other than to lighten your wallet, as others have already noted.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I had it in at the dealer for a routine CPO-due check up and the Volt Tech recommended a Fuel Induction Cleaning to remove carbon buildup in the engine. Seems a bit premature as I had only used 70% of my oil life, but he suggested this cleaning is even more important for the Volt since the engine isn't used much.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
140 Posts
Honda dealer near me tried the same tactic...stating the fuel injectors needed cleaning because I'd get much better gas mileage. I declined....never went back to a Honda dealer again. Local car repair facility has an outstanding reputation and doesn't push anything on you that's not needed. Adios...Honda service!!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There’s no carbon buildup in the injectors. DI engines suffer from carbon buildup in the cylinder heads and intake but this can only be removed mechanically with the head removed. Or drive sporty at all times.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Recommend is all the service can do . who told you you have to do?

·
Registered
236 Posts
First of all, from your description of "spraying" something near the injectors, it won't do a thing. It's an "induction" cleaning which basically cleans out the path that the intake air goes through the manifold, not doing anything to the injectors. As for injector cleaning, they'd have to actually run the chemical directly through the fuel rail, disabling the fuel pump before doing that. But, that being said, if you're using a "top tier" gasoline, they all contain additives that help prevent any deposits from forming on the injector pintle and you don't really need to do that until much later (I do my vehicles between 35K and 60K because we typically drive only short distances so it's more of a toll than driving freeway speeds, etc. I do it as a preventive measure, not any other reason (& only costs me time since I have all the equipment to do it at the proper fuel rail pressure, etc.)

As someone stated earlier, you probably don't even need to do it at 60K as I have some Fits that have over 90K on them and they ran fine, but I flushed the injectors with the cleaner as a preventive measure. Our gasoline here is top tier and there are only 2 refineries on the island that supply all the major brands so the only difference is the additive package that the different brands add to the base gasoline.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
My wife took her 2017 CR-V in to get the oil change done. While at the dealer they asked if she wanted this service done for @ $165. They said they were going to spray something near the injectors and rev the engine to "get rid of carbon build up from the gas she uses." Seemed a bit of a $$grab to me.

Again she only has just over 23K miles on the car, and doesn't drive it hard when she does. Online all is see is that fuel injector cleaning really isn't necesarry, in general, until aroud 60K miles.
Is this something we needed to get done? Is this something I can do on my own? I told her to hold off for now.
Advice?
Thanks!
Sounds like "bubba needs a new screen porch". Go to Walmart and buy some fuel system cleaner that contains PEA which should be on the label. Spend the $5 and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Advice?
Thanks!
Not ever necesary as routine maintenence. I suggest once every year or two, add a bottle of Chevron Techron to a full tank of gas. It's a quality product that will keep the fuel injectors clean. Enjoy your ride. CRV's last almost forever and are quite reliable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could probable get it done cheaper elsewhere.
I was in a spending mood while my CRV 2012 with 58K on it was in for service. The Service writer who has taken care of me "honestly" said do it, and I said no, then though what the heck. Now for me the CRV runs smother and quicker almost like a new car and the gas milage jumped about 1 mpg. He also said that I should be using a high quality gas like Shell or Marathon with the better additives. I do not know how long the cleaning will last but I now put a can of Chevron cleaner in it if I burn lower grade gas. Who really know what the effect might be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts