Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear hub is not turning freely while my car is jacked up. (I have not used my parking brake in a while) Has any one had this problem. It seems that my rear axles are engaged all the time. When I wiggle the hub the axle wiggles with it. I have been hearing unusual noises in the rear end of my 2002 CRV. Brakes were done about 600 miles ago. Help!

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
The axle is locked into the hub at all time. There are splines on the axle that correspond with splines inside the hub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I realized after I sent the post that of course the axle is engaged to the hub, but I would think it would rotate if it isnt engaged in AWD. I did discover that my caliper is malfunctioning though. The brake pad is completely gone on the inside and I just replaced brakes about 5000 miles ago. I am going to attempt to do it myself, as I am handy but more like a mechanic wannabe. Ps I haven't changed dif fluid in about 60k miles, I will get right on that. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Lube the slider pins of the caliper. It's the reason the brake is wearing the pad faster than normal.

And yes, you really need to change the rear diff fluid if it's been 60K since the last time.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Both axles are "connected" at the diff. If only one wheel is off the ground you will not need be able to turn the wheel.

Engagement of the 4th system occurs at the pumps on the front side off the rear diff assembly.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Both axles are "connected" at the diff. If only one wheel is off the ground you will not need be able to turn the wheel.

Engagement of the 4th system occurs at the pumps on the front side off the rear diff assembly.
This. Unless both rear tires are off the ground, it won't turn freely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts