Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put new rear pads on my '07 CRV but the piston only compresses about half way in. Is there a secret or is the caliper shot?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I'm using a c clamp like I did on the other side. It's my second time replacing the pads and my understanding is that '07 and newer were just a push in piston. Is that incorrect?

·
Registered
75 Posts
are you using the compressor that also turns the piston back in and not just press it back in? The rear caliper piston spin in and out
This is incorrect. The 07-11 CR-V doesn't use pistons which need to be rotated as they are compressed. You can simply compress them with a clamp (and the old brake pad as a shim to prevent damage).

Accords use a piston which needs to be rotated as it is compressed, because the parking brake mechanism is part of the caliper. On the CR-V, there is a separate drum brake which serves as the parking brake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is incorrect. The 07-11 CR-V doesn't use pistons which need to be rotated as they are compressed. You can simply compress them with a clamp (and the old brake pad as a shim to prevent damage).

Accords use a piston which needs to be rotated as it is compressed, because the parking brake mechanism is part of the caliper. On the CR-V, there is a separate drum brake which serves as the parking brake.
Thats what I thought. But I ended up braking the caliper by using too much on the piston. I felt the piston needed replacing even before I started the brake job but now I know for sure.

Can anyone direct me to "how to replace a rear caliper"? My day just got worse!

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's actually not too hard. Once you get everything disconnected enough to do a pad change, you are already most of the way there.

You can either buy a OEM caliper (around $100), a third party caliper from an auto parts store, or buy a rebuild kit from the dealership (around $20) and rebuild the caliper yourself. Be sure to get new banjo bolts when you replace the caliper, and have some brake fluid on hand to bleed the new caliper.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,731 Posts
BTW if you have one caliper go bad, good practice is to replace both sides.

I suggest replacing the calipers, don't mess with the unknown...

Luckily aftermarket parts are only ~$50 - $75 USD. There is a core charge on these parts so you need to lay out about twice as much but get the core credit when you return them.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Luckily aftermarket parts are only ~$50 - $75 USD. There is a core charge on these parts so you need to lay out about twice as much but get the core credit when you return them.
Are aftermarket calipers really that expensive? If that's the case, I would consider going with OEM Nisin calipers which run around $145 from BK Honda or other online dealership parts departments.

The OEM rear driver side caliper on my Accord lasted 12 years before needing replacement. I figure a little extra money upfront for a genuine caliper is worth the peace of mind over an aftermarket (likely remanufactured) part...especially for something as important as brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I live in Ontario Canada. The dealer wants $310 (taxes in) for a OEM caliper. The cheapest after market (none oem) one I could find range from $210 to $280 (taxes in).
Unfortunately the cheaper ones have a 3 day delivery time as no one stocks them locally which seems hard to believe as I'm in the Toronto area. The core charge is $98!

Another question I have is does the brake fluid need to be Honda DOT3 or can it be any brand name DOT3? I've read that some say it must be Honda specific brake fluid.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I, like others, use the Valvoline Dot 3&4 brake fluid.
But, do NOT use a Dot 5 as it is incompatible with your system and can cause damage.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can use any DOT 3. I usually stick with Honda/Acura brand DOT 3 since it can be bought very inexpensively in the US (around $3-4 a bottle).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts