Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd take it to an ASE shop and have them do it. Most shops have equipment that is very expensive and effective ;)

· Registered
253 Posts
I had my rear diff fill bolt lock up too. Changed the fluid at 15K and realized a mere 2,000 miles later that I changed the fluid without the car level, so I decided to simply double check the fluid level. No go. Only hand tightened the fill bolt cause I could not fit the torque wrench under the car. Ended up going to the dealer to fix the problem. Fortunately he reported that the fill bolt threads were not stripped. Still wondering why that happened.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,864 Posts
I had my rear diff fill bolt lock up too. Changed the fluid at 15K and realized a mere 2,000 miles later that I changed the fluid without the car level, so I decided to simply double check the fluid level. No go. Only hand tightened the fill bolt cause I could not fit the torque wrench under the car. Ended up going to the dealer to fix the problem. Fortunately he reported that the fill bolt threads were not stripped. Still wondering why that happened.
Could be caused by thermal cycling of the differential from day to day use. Aggravated by dissimilar metals between bolt and casing. Not properly applying proper torque to the bolt after hand tightening might also have set up a contributing factor.

These are speculations, not known fact ... since you are seeking cause. :)

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,864 Posts
Yep you got that right
Yeah, a soft porous aluminum washer will protect the bolt and casing, but I can totally see it binding hard with the bolt and casing as the bolt is torqued down.

The good news though is when you go to work that stuck bolt loose.. the weak link is the crush washer, so.. I bet it disintegrates before the bolt or casing gets damaged in most cases.

This does given more possible benefit to applying a little penetrating oil to the bolt/washer/casing and trying it in a few days.

· Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Yeah, a soft porous aluminum washer will protect the bolt and casing, but I can totally see it binding hard with the bolt and casing as the bolt is torqued down.

The good news though is when you go to work that stuck bolt loose.. the weak link is the crush washer, so.. I bet it disintegrates before the bolt or casing gets damaged in most cases.

This does given more possible benefit to applying a little penetrating oil to the bolt/washer/casing and trying it in a few days.
Yes indeed. its not a lock washer for sure that you must see it align to the other end. revolving part its not but that is what hte cush washer does

· Registered
340 Posts
I agree with traylaw. You need to find ways to increase your ability to create leverage. You can raise the car higher on the jackstands to give yourself more room. You can add an extension into the hole so it seats better, and bonus the extension might be indexed differently so your breaker bar can have more swing arc. Alternatively, you can get a longer 3/8” handled ratchet, or adding a cheater pipe onto it. And if all else fails, consider what the fish did with a floor jack:

a cheater bar is likely to damage the ratchet or break off the 3/8" square drive

· Registered
340 Posts
Hi guys! So, I am currently working on my father's 2017 CRV and doing some general maintenance items. Just got finished with an oil change and brake fluid flush. I then moved onto the rear diff. Luckily, I always learned to first crack open the fill bolt, so that is where I went. However, the sucker is STUCK on there good! What I have tried is a breaker bar, an impact wrench, soaking it in Kroil, but to no avail.
I would try heat with my MAPP gas torch, but I noticed that there is a sealing surface with silicone all around it right near the fill bolt, so I just don't want to end up burning the silicone and creating a leak. Anyone have any tips on what I can try to get the fill bolt off? I also noticed that a 3/8 ratchet head doesn't quite fit all the way in, so is it a different size than what I'm trying to use?
That impact is no good for what you are doing...less than 700 ft pounds of loosening torque. Get this one with 1050 and for less than 1/2 the cost. 8.5 Amp Corded 1/2 in. Extreme Torque Impact Wrench also don't use a ratchet and make sure if you use any extension (with a breaker bar) it's an impact type. A good breaker bar will get it done.

· Registered
191 Posts
I agree with traylaw. You need to find ways to increase your ability to create leverage. You can raise the car higher on the jackstands to give yourself more room. You can add an extension into the hole so it seats better, and bonus the extension might be indexed differently so your breaker bar can have more swing arc. Alternatively, you can get a longer 3/8” handled ratchet, or adding a cheater pipe onto it. And if all else fails, consider what the fish did with a floor jack:

when working on pivot bolts for rear LCAs I obtained more leverage by pushing up on the breaker bar, since I was just doing chin ups by trying to pull down on the bar.

· Registered
2016 Honda CR-V EX AWD in Mountain Air Metallic (Teal)
114 Posts

BRILLIANT!! I usually use a 3/8" socket wrench with an old bumper jack over the wrench handle. It's very long, and basically the same thing as putting a long pipe over the handle. But, this is much easier! I'm totally using this technique next time! Thank you for posting this great tip!! But, be sure to wear eye protection in case the wrench should accidentally slip and go flying, or something snaps and goes flying! That's a lot of force being applied.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.