Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I own a 2011 EX-L 4wd that I bought CPO back in 2014. The paperwork stated that they did a rear diff fluid change at 33k miles. We now have 64k miles and I have never seen subcode 6 ever show up. Should I just do it or wait until the subcode lights up?

Thanks,

Lew

·
Registered
776 Posts
Personally, it's a cheap bit of maintenance given the potential negatives. I'd change it now and then proceed with future changes based on your driving style. It's one the issues that Honda doesn't really seem to address with any certainty. My '13 just turned 22,000 recently so I plan on a change shortly. There are several great posts on the Forum complete with pics for those doing it themselves. 1.2 qts of DPF II and 2 crush washers and you're good to go. No such thing as flush, open the drain (after checking that the fill plug is loosened) and let everything drain out and refill. Some use a fluid hand-held pump and others a funnel and plastic hose. Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, it's a cheap bit of maintenance given the potential negatives. I'd change it now and then proceed with future changes based on your driving style. It's one the issues that Honda doesn't really seem to address with any certainty. My '13 just turned 22,000 recently so I plan on a change shortly. There are several great posts on the Forum complete with pics for those doing it themselves. 1.2 qts of DPF II and 2 crush washers and you're good to go. No such thing as flush, open the drain (after checking that the fill plug is loosened) and let everything drain out and refill. Some use a fluid hand-held pump and others a funnel and plastic hose. Good luck. Craig
Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I called my dealer and they advised to just wait for the code, but I plan on ordering the fluid and washers and doing the change myself. I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

Lew

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I called my dealer and they advised to just wait for the code, but I plan on ordering the fluid and washers and doing the change myself. I appreciate the feedback.
That’s exactly what I would do. “If” per chance your hear a groaning in the rear while doing sharp turns, then it requires a change, but other than that I wouldn’t worry about it either.

In the 11 years I owned my 2000 CRV, it didn’t have the MM, so this is how I learned when it needed it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey All,

I own a 2011 EX-L 4wd that I bought CPO back in 2014. The paperwork stated that they did a rear diff fluid change at 33k miles. We now have 64k miles and I have never seen subcode 6 ever show up. Should I just do it or wait until the subcode lights up?

Thanks,

Lew
Every 30k seems like a reasonable interval. I'd change it now if you haven't already. It's very easy to do yourself and only costs about $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts