Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.2 diesel EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has been in to Honda for a service this week, and one of their recommendations is "rear diff noisey when on full lock, recommend diff flush". I'm yet to quiz them about this but, how can the rear diff have anything to do with the steering being on full lock? Or do the rear wheels steer? They are also quoting £250 to do this job, too much about right? Will it help?
Sorry loads of questions in there.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Worth asking them WTH they are on about.

No rear steering on CRVs.

Either your 4WD/AWD tranny fluid needs replacing or theres another issue with the steering on full lock. Or something else.

Go back to them and find out what they are on about....let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: UK-Kev

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
how can the rear diff have anything to do with the steering being on full lock?
If your diff fluid is expired (usually ~30,000 miles) the clutches inside will audibly 'moan' because of the difference in rotation. This would first be noticeable when cold, on sharp turns (parking lot maneuvers).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello,
Honda recommends that the diff oil should be changed every six years, or sixty thousand miles whichever is sooner.

Personally, I like to change my transmission and diff oil every three / half to four years depending on mileage.

If you have owned your CRV from new and had it service by Honda, your service records should show the diff oil was changed at six years old and by my experience / suggestion you should be about right for diff oil change again.

·
Registered
2010 2.2 diesel EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called the garage, he explained that the steering judder/rear diff noise, usually at slow speed, is due to the 4 wheel drive system not being used enough, the procedure from Honda is to get the diff up to temp and ensure the 4 wheel drive system is kicking in, then drain and refill, repeat and drain and fill a second time. We are the 4th owner but it's alway been serviced at the same dealer so they looked up previous work and this flush had been done in 2017 for the same issue, just needs repeating again now or soon before the diff gives up. I don't drive the car that often so didn't really notice the judder and the wife just puts fuel in and drives it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It starts to bind at low speed etc cause the fluid and such...blah blah blah. In some cases a lighter fluid (thinner, not for lighters) is substituted in.

The diff has to work especially on tight turns. Or the awd kicks in. Not quite but you get the point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts