Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if all the CRV's have the little damper on the rear diff? Anyone know if they all had one?

I'm basically trying to track down a slight low speed wobble and replaced pretty much everything on the front end (balljoints, bearings, tie rod ends, links, arm bushes etc) as part of a 250,000kms service a while back but the tiny wobble wont' desist.

I've tried swapping to a different set of wheels but it wasn't conclusive. I can't feel the wobble at the steering wheel. All the driveshafts and propshaft feel okay as do the rear bearings.

Most of the rear bushes look reasonable (relative to age) with only the two lower arm bushes looking like they are not holding very well (the arm looks to be close to the metal).

The only thing I can 'find' is a bit of 'up and down' on the diff when pushed. I'm pondering new rubber over the diff and at the back, but there is no sign of the little damper I'm reading about.
Cheers

·
Registered
895 Posts
This is for the 05-06 models. I doubt they changed anything much on this stuff between the early models and the later ones. I don’t really think that any of that would cause a wobble given how it’s all put together. The axles can expand and contract some to account for suspension travel, so unless it’s moving a lot, I don’t think that’s your problem. And if it were, it would be making a lot of noise.

Spanked trailing arm bushings on the other hand, would certainly cause a wobble. Accelerating and decelerating would change the toe angle if the bushings are sloppy.

48A05F58-4733-4267-BCB0-F05176193B63.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
troubleshooting is harder than the repair...

This is for the 05-06 models. I doubt they changed anything much on this stuff between the early models and the later ones. Spanked trailing arm bushings on the other hand, would certainly cause a wobble. Accelerating and decelerating would change the toe angle if the bushings are sloppy.
Looks the same, just minus the damper assembly on my 2003. Maybe the previous owner binned it for some reason.

Was a shot in the dark anyways. I'm going to get the wheels balanced today but it doesn't really feel like that. More of a shimmy or whole shell wobble and nothing through the steering wheel. It feels a bit like a center bearing on the prop but it feels solid under there. I could try dropping the prop which would at least tell me if it's front or rear, maybe...

Problem is with a 16 year old 250,000km motor is that, arguably, everything could do with replacing lol! But that gets time consuming real quick.

Oh well, I hope the tyre guys find a tyre way out of whack...
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts