Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of how much it costs to have the rear differential replaced on a 98 CR-V 5MT.

I had to take my honda to a service station today because when I tried to drive it and shift gears it felt like something was getting caught up or hung underneath the front of the car and then the engine, i guess the whole car, would shake/jump.

I had driven about 5-10 miles before this happened, and was sitting at a stoplight less than a mile from work when the light turned green and I started to drive is when I noticed it.

The service station just simply said the problem was the rear differential and they didn't do the work there but could recommend somebody. I didn't know what kind of questions to ask at the time.

I've done some searching online, but not being familiar with cars really I'm out of my league.

I'd like to find out how much labor might cost (I live in NC), as well as cost for a new and a used differential. And possibly what kind of questions I should ask the service station. ;-)

Also, based on the description of the problem is it possible just replacing the fluid would fix it or is it worth trying? Btw, there's no noise that I know of/hear like I saw described in other posts.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of how much it costs to have the rear differential replaced on a 98 CR-V 5MT.

I had to take my honda to a service station today because when I tried to drive it and shift gears it felt like something was getting caught up or hung underneath the front of the car and then the engine, i guess the whole car, would shake/jump.

I had driven about 5-10 miles before this happened, and was sitting at a stoplight less than a mile from work when the light turned green and I started to drive is when I noticed it.

The service station just simply said the problem was the rear differential and they didn't do the work there but could recommend somebody. I didn't know what kind of questions to ask at the time.

I've done some searching online, but not being familiar with cars really I'm out of my league.

I'd like to find out how much labor might cost (I live in NC), as well as cost for a new and a used differential. And possibly what kind of questions I should ask the service station. ;-)

Also, based on the description of the problem is it possible just replacing the fluid would fix it or is it worth trying? Btw, there's no noise that I know of/hear like I saw described in other posts.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice!
I'm glad you didn't let that service person try to replace the rear differential; they probably would have tried to sell you new air for the tires too as you have waited too long to change it...

The rear differential doesn't have anything to do with the changing of gears up front and is only activated during wheel slippage or spin of the front tires. From my limited knowledge of transmissions is sounds like something is wrong there and you should have that checked out by a reputable service person you trust. Ask friends locally and find someone then support them with your business.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Badgerland, thank you for your response. :) I agree I don't think it's in the rear. Whether it's the front differential or something else I'm not sure.

I had it towed to my house from the service station. The tow truck guy noticed fluid had leaked on the truck bed from under what appeared to be the right side of the engine (if u were sitting in the car). He said it smelled like transmission or gear box fluid.

As a side note I did have both my drive axles replaced with new ones this past March. Since then the front has shaken, not just the steering wheel, kind of like it's shimmying back and forth. It was doing that mostly in 2nd gear and some in 3rd. If you accelerated slow enough it wouldn't seem to do it. They had noticed it when they first replaced the axles but had said could just be since they were new axles needed time to get wore in a bit so to speak and wait a bit longer to see if it goes away.

I took it back in July to where I had the service done and had them drive it. They said they could still feel it some but it seemed better and to wait a bit longer to see if it would stop.

If it is the front differential I'm wondering if the issue with the axles could have caused this.

I'm having it towed tomorrow to someone who works on cars on the side. He's done work for my sister in the past, seems to do good work and very fair prices. As soon as I know more I'll definitely post an update.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts