Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Rear Differential fluid change question.

2910 8
I know it's been covered a lot, but my question is more about my vehicle than the schedule. I have a 2016 CR-V with about 26,000 miles. We are retired and don't drive a lot, plus we have another vehicle as well. Anyway, I was talking with the local Honda dealership (service dept) and they said the differential fluid needs to be changed at 15K miles (first time), and every 30K thereafter. I'm well past the 15K point, but, my Maintenance Minder has not indicated anything other than oil change so far. I cannot find any service schedules anywhere, and was told that you just go by what the MM tells you to do. So, should I change the fluid, or wait to get the notice?? Also, is there any recommended schedule anywhere??? Thanks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
634 Posts
It's taken me a year, but I'm finally adjusting/trusting the mm system. These newer expensive fluids last a real long time. Unless someone cleared previous mm, you'll likely see that code come up soon. I'm still not up to speed with mine yet, but I did a search and saw someone had it come on at 33k, it was a Gen.3. The second time it'll come up at over 100k.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
The Maintenance Minder is so the dealer does not rip you off like he is trying to do. I have 52,000+ miles on my 2016 and it has the MM has not asked for it to be changed yet but I think it comes on around 60,000 miles.

· Registered
233 Posts
bumping this up. what are milage are people actually seeing the maint minder come on at for the rear diff and transmission. My 2016 touring mm has never come on for either. 43000 miles now. When I go to Honda.com and plug in my vehicle for maint intervals it says cvt fluid change at 25000 in severe conditions and not to wait for the mm but nothing about the rear diff. Seems odd some get it really early and others not so early.

· Registered
233 Posts
Awesome to hear, any tips you can offer to the staff and members here
yes do not pay a dealership to do this job. If you can brush your teeth without poking yourself in the eye you can easily do this. A fluid transfer pump is helpful and around $10 at any auto parts store. if you are old like me and not real flexible it helps to drive your crv up on some 2x8 boards (you could use 2x4's) one under each wheel will give you a couple of extra inches to crawl under while keeping your rig level. If you have 4 same size ramps that would even be better as that would give you even more room.. it really is that simple. both plugs are torqued to 35 ft/lbs. crack the top and remove the bottom and fluid flows smoothly out in to a small container as it is only 1.3 qts coming out. As clean as mine was I would wait for the mm to tell you to change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.