Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed some fluid or grease on the axles coming out of the rear differential cv boots of our 2003 crv w/ 207k miles. The Left Rear looks worse - no drips though. The RR shows a small amount seeping. At 200k I did one rear diff fluid change and burnished the gears as preventative maintenance. I don't remember seeing this then, but may have overlooked it. Not noticing any driving issues. Anything to be overly concerned about?

Auto part Pipe Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Pipe
Pipe Auto part Metal Rust
Coil spring Auto part Suspension Fuel line

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah makes sense that would be grease. There's definitely some corrosion :) Would new axle assemblies be the most straightforward repair? The metal ring at the end of the boot is deteriorating compared to the other side. Hopefully will last for a bit. The vehicle is just used in town and getting into "drive it into the ground" territory.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,184 Posts
You can buy replacement clips or just use hose clamps on the CV boots. A bit of sealer on the joints would work as long as the boots are not cracked or split.

With the costs (and poor reilability of aftermarket axles) I would avoid that. As long as the joints are still quiet and vibration free, I would clean and repack your present axles and perhaps replace the rubber boots. (Yes you need to remove them to do this.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts