Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2004 CRV with 97k that is new to me but with a few minor problems. The rear door ajar light stays on. This car has been in my family since new and this problem has been with the car for about 40k miles. The actual switch seems to move well and looks unlikely to be the culprit. When the problem first arose the light would cycle from on to off under the acceleration and braking of normal driving. Now the light remains on throughout. My mother thinks that the door was slammed shut with something in the jam resulting in a broken piece somewhere in the switch circuitry.

I also think the door ajar switch is preventing the remote from locking the car. The car will unlock with the remote but not lock. I believe the car thinks the rear door is open and will therefore not lock the car. This is really annoying me but it is something that in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a deal.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone out there? What did you do to fix/diagnose the problem. I would be happy to just bypass the switch so the light stayed off regardless of what the door is doing.

Thanks for your help,
Evan

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Your right on everything your saying. Your switch is either bad or broke and it needs replaced. No need to bypass it, it's a cheap fix. Just a small part that the dealership either has or can order for you. You can also replace it yourself when you get it, so the dealer doesn't charge you for installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fixed it (sort of)

Thanks for your help.

Well I took the switch off and unplugged it. That essentially fixed it from the car's point of view. Now all I need to do is to go to an auto salvage yard and take one off a 2nd gen CRV. Should be lots of fun. Now to fix the stupid windshield washer nozzles ...

Evan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Found out the "sleeve" that covered the switch arm had gone missing. Put a piece of rubber hose from a bunsen burner on it and all has been well for the past 1 1/2 yrs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem

Mine did the same thing. Found out the "sleeve" that covered the switch arm had gone missing. Put a piece of rubber hose from a bunsen burner on it and all has been well for the past 1 1/2 yrs.
Had the exact same problem, tailgate ajar light stays on, doors would not lock. I tried some self adhesive rubber bumper pads for a while but they kept sliding around causing the problem to return. After looking at the parts list illustration, like "bennj2" stated, I also found the rubber switch cover missing, (part number #35410-692-003). It's less than $4 from the dealer and just slides on. Took 10 seconds to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts