Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear door ajar light keeps flashing when I hit bumps on the road. I have rechecked the back door and window hatch many times and it still doesn't fix it. It has just started doing it this week. Any Ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The rear door ajar light keeps flashing when I hit bumps on the road. I have rechecked the back door and window hatch many times and it still doesn't fix it. It has just started doing it this week. Any Ideas?:confused:

Don't know what model year you are driving, and I haven't seen the complaint on '07 and up, but the '03 body style had some issues with the switch for the tailgate. Best results and simplest fix (provided that the door is properly aligned and closes correctly) is to remove the switch and grind or file the contact point for about 1mm of additional clearance. It's a simple 1 wire grounding switch and the contacts are so close together that body flex on bumps can cause the lamp to illuminate. Adding some clearance will solve the 'problem'.

Note: This is NOT an official Honda recommended repair, as Honda has not issued any suggestions for repair of this concern. It's simple, it works and it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to do.

JD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what model year you are driving, and I haven't seen the complaint on '07 and up, but the '03 body style had some issues with the switch for the tailgate. Best results and simplest fix (provided that the door is properly aligned and closes correctly) is to remove the switch and grind or file the contact point for about 1mm of additional clearance. It's a simple 1 wire grounding switch and the contacts are so close together that body flex on bumps can cause the lamp to illuminate. Adding some clearance will solve the 'problem'.

Note: This is NOT an official Honda recommended repair, as Honda has not issued any suggestions for repair of this concern. It's simple, it works and it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to do.

JD

It's a 2006 model

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's a 2006 model
Your call - get it fixed under warranty or take the switch off yourself - phillips head screw. Switch is mounted just below the left side striker for the tailgate. when you remove the switch, it'll be in the 'closed' (door open) position. You'll have to hold the switch in the 'open' (door closed) position to access the retaining screw. Look at how the metal tab that the harness connector is attached to is contacted by the sliding metal plate when you hold it and move the switch between the door open and door closed positions. Nibble away a little material with a small file or dremel tool where the contact point is about 1mm or 1/16th inch and you should be golden. Basically all you are trying to do is make it so that the gap is a little larger so that the switch would need to move a little further to the open position before it makes contact. You could do the same thing by wrapping the end of the switch lever where it contacts the door with some foam tape (or similar) to 'build-up' the thickness of the lever end, but you'd 'see' it when you had the tailgate open.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Some other members on here have reported the issue on their 06 and they fixed it by simply making the plastic striker "longer" by adding either electrical tape to it or one member used heat shrink tubing for a nicer look. This makes the plastic striker push a little harder on the switch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some other members on here have reported the issue on their 06 and they fixed it by simply making the plastic striker "longer" by adding either electrical tape to it or one member used heat shrink tubing for a nicer look. This makes the plastic striker push a little harder on the switch.
I too have had the dear wife asking why the rear door light comes on. I have not dealt with it yet but the same situation had occured on the drivers door of the '91 Accord. I added electrician's tape and it has done the trick for the last 17 years... No biggie, 3 wraps of tape and you are good for ever...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just started having the same issue on my 2006 CR-V. :-( I'll look into adding tape. It is quite annoying to have the dashboard indicator light go on and the actual back dome light come on. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently ran into this problem with my 2002 CR-V, and a "hack" that has worked well for me is a 3/8" rubber grommet. Pinch the grommet together and push it about half way down the striker. The width of the grommet is more than enough to push the striker from the open to closed position. It will keep the rear door ajar light from staying on or flickering, and you can also lock your doors using the key fob again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts