Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post as I just joined so please excuse me if this has been discussed already.
We have a 2016 CR-V SE and when it's cold outside the latch to rear door/hatch will not release.
We are close to the end of our 3 year lease and we would like to keep the car but if I cannot access the rear door (only in cold temperatures) then I don't want the car.
My wife took it in while still under warranty a year or two ago and of course after sitting in their heated garage it worked fine and they sent her home.
She just took it back for same problem and they told her it is no longer under warranty and would cost $250 to replace it.
They also admitted this time that this has been a common issue but I don't think Honda has tried to fix it???
After doing a little bit of "Googleing" (if that'a a word) I see this is a common problem for a few years of this model.
So if they just replace the lock mechanism with the exact same parts it will probably not address the actual problem and work the same as it always has!
Has anyone had a way to fix this issue or do they just deal with it the way it is? After reading Google I see some people use different methods to get heat into the handle (hair dryer, hand warmers, back into garage, etc) but his is not the answer I am looking for.
Would appreciate any help
Thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you have not already, I would suggest using spray lithium grease around the lock mechanism and release cable. The handle is exposed to the elements and our wonderful winter road corrosion methods manage to work its way into that area. Not that rust or corrosion is the problem, but the grease will help free a sticking mechanism.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try that.
I also read online where someone tried spraying something on the button itself - I can't recall the name of it but it's actually a product used for cleaning tires. She just sprayed it onto the black button from the outside and it left some type of protective coating?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
I also read online where someone tried spraying something on the button itself
Probably Armor-All, which is an EXCELLENT penetrant. Best to follow up with some other kind of lubricant, though.

Our '07 Fit suffered a similar fate after 5 years (non-releasing rear hatch mechanism). After freeing it up, we would lubricate it at each oil change, no more issues until we sold the car at 150K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put a little dielectric grease on the latch part on the door with my finger, moisture tends to develope there and the the door latch freezes, but works after thawing out. The dielectric grease is clear and a thin film will keep moisture from allowing the metal parts to freeze up. Works on door latches as well, ask me how i know, try closing a frozen door when you are behind the wheel and trying to drive, only after latch thaws will it close, grease works!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try that.
I also read online where someone tried spraying something on the button itself - I can't recall the name of it but it's actually a product used for cleaning tires. She just sprayed it onto the black button from the outside and it left some type of protective coating?
Question, when you press the unlatch button on the hatch do you hear the latch's electric actuator try to unlatch the hatch? If you don't the problem is the switch.
This is a common problem for 2012 to 2016 CRVs the Honda TSB for this problem is 16-063. If you google honda TSB 16-063 you can download the PDF file for this TSB.
Here is a link to a youtube video for replacing the switch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts