Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...
About 1.5 years ago, we purchased our 2001 Honda CRV that was supposed to be AWD.
At the time, I didn't take notice that the rear axle and rear drive shaft were missing.
We had problems with the rear end (bearings going bad and axle problems).
The seller stepped up to the plate and paid $2500 to have a well known chain tire place put rear axle and rear drive shaft in.

Move forward to today , while having a new timing belt installed and a 29 point inspection, it was noticed that the center support bearing is completely worn out.
Only little rubber remains and the bearing is no where to be found. Basically the drive shaft is just sitting on thin amounts of rubber.
I studied as much as I could here on other places on the web. I have a new Center Support Bearing due to arrive in a day or two.
I feel pretty comfortable with marking and removing the driveshaft with the 4 bolts on front and rear.
I feel somewhat so so with separating the front / rear shafts in order to put the new part on.

However, i have the following questions:
If I have the drive shaft off the vehicle and run into problems with separating two halves, will the vehicle still be able to run in FWD only?
Do I need to seal the front and rear where the driveshaft came off or is it a CLOSED UNIT ?

I would ultimately like to save the AWD operation as the driveshaft looks in really great shape otherwise. I will test/ grease u joints to make sure that is the case.
But as a daily driver vehicle I will need to have it handy...but dont want DIFF oil leaking or other problems associated with driveshaft removal.
Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Everyone says you can remove the drive shaft and have a FWD vehicle with no problems. The u-joints are not suppose to be serviceable though. Honda would sell you a whole new drive shaft to replace the u-joints and bearing.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Shryp is right you can remove the drive shaft without much ill effects. Just be sure you mark all of the pieces where the rear shaft joins to the rear diff. for the balance purposes. Use a permanent marker with at least 2 colors. Same scenario in the front going to the transmission. You can actually buy u-joints specifically for the CRV but it must be installed in a certain instruction. Check out Youtube & type in CRV U-joint replacement. Dorman also sells a whole drive shaft/propeller shaft assembly. The only drawback I have seen is in the rain or snow when its slippery you will need to be gentle on the throttle to prevent the front wheel from spinning. Let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies.
So that means the rear and front areas where the shaft was removed from rear axle case and transaxle front won't leak differential fluid?....I'm hoping to do the center support on the removed shaft in one fell swoop but if not I will rest assured it will be road worthy while it's off.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes, there will be no leak. It will be road worthy as long as you are not too aggressive on the gas pedal when its wet on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts