Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2021 Honda CRV Hybrid
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was just rear-ended by a person that does not have a license from this country and they have no insurance. They hit me hard enough at a stoplight so that two screws came out of the undercarriage and the bumper was scraped. I'm not trying to up my insurance or to gouge this guy, but by taking it to a dealership, is that going to cost me more money or should I just go to an independent auto dealer? I definitely want Honda parts. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks. Damage is slight, but the fact that 2 screws came out of the undercarriage is more concerning.
Tire Wheel Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· The. Admin. Istrator.
12,431 Posts
Please complete your profile with vehicle details.

Do you have pics of the damage you can upload/share - that way, folks can offer you some advice.

· Registered
2011 EXL & 2015 EX
669 Posts
Hopefully!!!...you have uninsured driver coverage. If so- your insurance will pay for the repairs and they will try to collect form the other driver. Depending on which policy you have- you may have to pay a $500 deductible?
Good luck. I would not worry about independent shop or dealer- let the insurance handle it.
One other thing of importance!.....the police are involved- right?

· The. Admin. Istrator.
12,431 Posts
No, I did not call police as the damage was light & I had to get somewhere.
At the very least, you should have called them so as to get an uninsured driver off the road. They are a social menace with no regard for anyone.

· Registered
1,249 Posts
At the very least, you should have called them so as to get an uninsured driver off the road. They are a social menace with no regard for anyone.
I wonder how someone without a licence or insurance rear ends someone—oh yeah; they’re an idiot.

I would probably have to call the cops to prevent me from choking them out.

· Registered
2021 Honda CRV Hybrid
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please complete your profile with vehicle details.

Do you have pics of the damage you can upload/share - that way, folks can offer you some advice.
I tried to add my vehicle to my profile, but there was no segment to do it that I can find. It's a 2021 CRV Hybrid Touring.

· Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
504 Posts
I had similar scenario and damage to a month old Mazda 6. Mazda dealership gouged the insurance close on 6 grand to carry out the repair which involved stripping out the entire rear end to check for structural, component and electrical damage and a repaint which involved half the car. Absolute overkill which I reported to the insurance company. They informed me this was industry standard cost for this type of damage.

If you’re sure there’s no damage beyond that bumper get it repainted yourself although you’d need to convince yourself that those two screws aren’t important if you can’t identify where they can from. If you’re unsure get on to your insurance and let them deal with it.

· Registered
2021 Honda CRV Hybrid
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had similar scenario and damage to a month old Mazda 6. Mazda dealership gouged the insurance close on 6 grand to carry out the repair which involved stripping out the entire rear end to check for structural, component and electrical damage and a repaint which involved half the car. Absolute overkill which I reported to the insurance company. They informed me this was industry standard cost for this type of damage.

If you’re sure there’s no damage beyond that bumper get it repainted yourself although you’d need to convince yourself that those two screws aren’t important if you can’t identify where they can from. If you’re unsure get on to your insurance and let them deal with it.
The mechanic felt that it was probably something that was integral in keeping the bumper in place and since I still have them and they are un damaged there is no true cost there other than to screw them back in. I'm sure they can probably just gloss over the rubber bumper and see if they can just buff it out. I just don't want it added to my Carfax or on to my insurance.

· Registered
2.2 I-ctdi 2009 ES
331 Posts
You need to look under the rear bumper. There is a re-enforcement bar that runs the width of the car under the bumper. If its been hit hard enough, that bends in half usually.

So definitely check it out. Also, before you get repairs done, get the person to pay for the work. People have a habit of going missing when it comes to payment time.

· Registered
2021 Honda CRV Hybrid
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to look under the rear bumper. There is a re-enforcement bar that runs the width of the car under the bumper. If its been hit hard enough, that bends in half usually.

So definitely check it out. Also, before you get repairs done, get the person to pay for the work. People have a habit of going missing when it comes to payment time.
Yeah, the bar is okay & these folks have another hour to respond before I shoot it to the insurance co.

· Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
28 Posts
So I was just rear-ended by a person that does not have a license from this country and they have no insurance. They hit me hard enough at a stoplight so that two screws came out of the undercarriage and the bumper was scraped. I'm not trying to up my insurance or to gouge this guy, but by taking it to a dealership, is that going to cost me more money or should I just go to an independent auto dealer? I definitely want Honda parts. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks. Damage is slight, but the fact that 2 screws came out of the undercarriage is more concerning.
Normally when another driver is at fault their insurance will have to pay for Honda parts. If you file under your insurance that depends if you paid a higher premium for OE(original equipment) parts coverage. Look for Honda certified body shops, they generally will work with insurance to prioritize OE parts.

Here's why not calling the police for your situation is a bad idea
  • Filing a claim under your own insurance is going result in a surcharge at renewal especially when you don't have an official police report stating the at fault driver is uninsured vs your statement alone.
  • It's common someone will lie that they don't have insurance to avoid a claim against them.
  • https://www.uti.edu/blog/collision/rear-end-collision-damage
In any accident, grab any info you can from the other driver(Driver's License, Plate number, etc), and let your insurance company verify it with the DMV. Call the police unless you have dashcam footage of the accident. Don't trust what the other driver tells you especially when they're at fault.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,699 Posts
Many states require you to either call police or self-report any non-injury accident that is over $400. Your damage alone will easily surpass this. If there is any injury, no matter how minor... police need to be notified and official reports taken and filed.

ALWAYS call the police, regardless in my view. A police report is going to be relied on by your insurance company and when insured the other parties insurance as well.

Where uninsured motorists are concerned.. I always refuse to discuss remedies and compensation with them, and instead refer them to my insurance company. Reason: most uninsured will try to convince you to just fix it with a bit of chewing gum and a bandaid and they will pay for it (pleading for you to not report it to police or your insurance company).... trying to save themselves money. My insurance steps right in on this, and they help me get my vehicle repaired and back on the road, while also suing the other party for damages and recovery. My insurance also has waived my uninsured motorist deductible too, but that is more about rewarding customer loyalty I think.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,699 Posts
Here's why not calling the police for your situation is a bad idea
  • Filing a claim under your own insurance is going result in a surcharge at renewal especially when you don't have an official police report stating the at fault driver is uninsured vs your statement alone.
  • It's common someone will lie that they don't have insurance to avoid a claim against them.
  • Damage to Look For After a Rear-End Collision
In any accident, grab any info you can from the other driver(Driver's License, Plate number, etc), and let your insurance company verify it with the DMV. Call the police unless you have dashcam footage of the accident. Don't trust what the other driver tells you especially when they're at fault.
Agree with all you said, except the surcharge part, in the case of being hit by an uninsured motorist.

Generally, your insurance will only surcharge your policy IF... the accident fault is yours. In the case of an uninsured motorist hitting you from behind.. that is no fault to the policy holder and should not result in a premium surcharge no matter what. Though I bet there are a few states that are very friendly to insurance companies at the expense of the insured owners.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts