Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..Does any know if it is possible to convert the rear near side light cluster to accept a high intensity fog lamp therefore having 2 working lights. Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
2,785 Posts
I'd say that with the tiny Group 51 battery in the CR-V, it's not a good idea, unless the lights are hook-up lights or similar, to be used just for a few minutes at any one time, preferably with the engine running. Also, in the US and most other places it is illegal to have white lights facing the rear and you might not be able to get a vehicle so equipped inspected. If you are using your CR-V as a work vehicle, for, say, on-site repairs of some sort, I would just get one of those LED light bars (they are very bright, and not too expensive) and use magnet or clamp mounts (or mount it on the rear of a luggage rack) and a long wiring harness. If you plan to use it for long periods at a time, you could carry a large battery in the back, and have it charged up whenever you are going out on a job. That's all I can suggest, since you didn't specify the exact use or year/model vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. All I really want to do is add another fog light to the near side rear. I'm in UK and the 3rg gen has what seems to be a dummy light which is live in countries driving on the right. Just wondering if the wiring loom is there and maybe needs a holder.

·
2,785 Posts
Perhaps if you called this light by it's correct name? Or maybe you could provide some pictures? There are no fog lights installed on the rear of any car on Earth. Fog lights are only ever installed on the fronts of cars. And no "dummy" lights on any CR-V's, or any light where both sides do not match. So, your description is only confusing, as no such thing exists. Also, you may not add fog lights to the rear of a car, as it is illegal. I suspect you are simply not using the correct words to describe what you are asking, and we'd love to help, but we're going to need more information first. Let's try this: In your next post, include photographs showing the lights you are talking about, including arrows if possible, and a verbal description telling us exactly which lights in the pictures you are talking about. In that description, do NOT use the following terms: fog lights, dummy light, near side. I can't speak for others, but none of those terms means anything to me, they are incomprehensible and make no sense. I will give an example. Here is a picture of the rear of my US Gen3 2007 CR-V, showing the taillight assemblies:

Inside those identical (on each side) taillight assemblies, there are four bulbs, arranged vertically: stop/taillight, backup light, turn, marker. There are no extra sockets or place for them inside the fixtures. There are no other lights on the rear, except the top center brake light, behind the glass, and the license plate light.

So, which lights are you talking about?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply but I actually find it offensive. Mt 2012 crv is UK build. Mt owners handbook refers to a light control switch which operates the Rear Fog Lights. You say there are no fog lights installed on any car on earth but Honda seems to disagree. That's page 145 by the way. My local dealer also referred to them as fog lights and that in the UK the offside lamp is live and in Europe and North America the near side light is live. Also the dealer referred to the non live light as a dummy. What lights do you turn on if it's foggy? Perhaps you never need them but we do. Thanks for the input. I'm now leaving the forum. Bye

·
2,785 Posts
Sorry, I certainly had no intent to offend. My apologies. Please don't go away on my account. I suspected the issue was due to some slight language or terminology barrier, and was simply trying to ask questions in a way that would get that point across. Your new information gives me more to go on to try to help, but also brings more questions. 1. What is near side and off side? 2. 2012 is Gen4 here. I did know it's Gen3 there, but you never said what year yours was till now. So, do you have a different body style from mine? 3. I don't have a way to access UK manuals, so I was unaware of the descriptions you reference. I've spent hours Google searching and simply cannot access UK manuals - it's very frustrating. I guess it is not allowed. So I can not see what you are referring to. All I can guess is that we have a communication issue due to the fact that we use different words to describe things. I wasn't blaming that on you, I was just saying that I could not understand what you were saying.

Here in the US, when I turn on my fog lights, they are in the lower front bumper. There are no fog lights on the rear. No white lights of any kind, fog or otherwise, are allowed on vehicles here (or anywhere that I know of) facing the rear, as this would present the hazard that one cannot tell if a vehicle is coming towards them in a head-on manner. Only red lights can be on the rear of any vehicle. This is a safety standard worldwide, as far as I know, and I am a professional driver (retired with over 40 years service). This is the first time I have ever heard of what you describe. Which is why I was trying to clarify with you. My intent was, and still is, only to help if I can.

Maybe a member in the UK can help. We do have quite a few here, and it's always interesting to converse with them. I hope you'll choose to stick around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I over redacted. Near side in UK is passenger or left. Offside is driver or right hand side. The vehicle is 2012 but one of the last generation 3.Our front fog lights are white. Our rear fog lights are high intensity red. No white lights allowed here either unless reversing. I am also professional driver. 45 yrs articulated trucks (18 wheelers) and still going. My question was only because all my previous vehicles fitted with rear fogs have had a matching pair. I'm also frustrated at not having a switched live feed under the bonnet /hood to add daytime running lights.
Sorry again and thanks for the reply

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rear fog light(s) is/are mandatory in Europe. Every single Euro market car has them. Imported ones need to have them fitted to be able to register the car.

To the op: there are a couple of over reacting members in the forum, kloker being one of them. You'll learn to love them over time.
You could perhaps buy a mainland CR-V rear cluster for your need and if there's no wiring it should be simple enough to extend the wire from the exisiting cluster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mrtn for your comments. No real issues with the lights. Wondered if I could buy the fog light bulb fitting and use it just for the symmetry. Struggling with the switched live for DRL though. Thanks again

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks mrtn for your comments. No real issues with the lights. Wondered if I could buy the fog light bulb fitting and use it just for the symmetry. Struggling with the switched live for DRL though. Thanks again
I'd like to give you some answers for a little peace of mind.

1. Here where I live we have sellers for parts that are otherwise a little hard to find, such as rear light assemblies/clusters with foglights. It's on the left side (which is where the driver is, better yet if you're sitting inside the car, it's your left arm's side--sorry not sure if nearside or offside is affected by RHD or LHD vehicles), which is the exact opposite side of what you have there. I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket and not Genuine OEM Honda part (Stanley) though, but you can search Facebook for these and if you are willing to buy from a seller in the Philippines (I'm sure the shipping costs might cost an arm and a leg), then hit me up so I can give you recommendations. (no I'm not a seller)

2. More than this though, while I understand you are concerned about safety--hence searching for the passenger side rearfog--I can tell you that you don't really have to because rear foglights were actually made to be on the driver's side, which is on the right like what you have there and what they have in Japan. If you don't want o spend a fortune and still have a visible rear passenger area i would defintely suggest you get one of those bumper lights on ebay which have a wiring for position and brake lights (one low intensity, one higher), instead of wiring the higher intensity wire to your brake lights, run them to your rear fog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks jcboy. As you say the Rear fog light is on the opposite side of the car to the steering wheel. It's just that the cr v 3rd generation has matching rear light clusters so I just thought I might match the lights. Thanks again

·
2,785 Posts
Sorry I over redacted. Near side in UK is passenger or left. Offside is driver or right hand side. The vehicle is 2012 but one of the last generation 3.Our front fog lights are white. Our rear fog lights are high intensity red. No white lights allowed here either unless reversing. I am also professional driver. 45 yrs articulated trucks (18 wheelers) and still going. My question was only because all my previous vehicles fitted with rear fogs have had a matching pair. I'm also frustrated at not having a switched live feed under the bonnet /hood to add daytime running lights.
Sorry again and thanks for the reply
Good on ya for the years driving. My last run was 22 years on the AUS-DFW air freight linehaul, 6 nights a week for 20, then 5 for the last two after the law changed. 422 miles per night, 53' dry box, dock to dock. Hazmat. Up I-35 in the NAFTA Corridor. Fun! Only ever ran over two drunks! One wrapped around the front and the other under the trailer. After some intense searching I was able to find a few YouTube videos on these Euro Rear Fog Lights, but most showed them as accessory installs. Literally mothing on Google. Even I am surprised at the difficulty of trying to find anything out on this. But I learned something new - thanks for that! First time I've ever heard of it. Another one of those oddball regional things - I wonder what other ones exist in the world I don't know about yet. Fascinating! I still don't understand the near side - off side thing. Is this in UK only or all right hand drive countries?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 99 CRV with rear red fog light on. It has no front fog lights.
Driver side fog light, passenger side back light.
And this is as in 1999 when I bought it new. Even then it was standard here in europe.

The point beeing it is not symetrical left / right because of the white backup light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi..Does any know if it is possible to convert the rear near side light cluster to accept a high intensity fog lamp therefore having 2 working lights. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Hi, in your case your bigger problem is not the wiring, its the fact that your passenger right taillight does not have a hole to fit the fog light plug... So even if you managed to do some wiring around the boot (which is fairly simple) you would have to drill a hole in the plastic and the inside mirror of the fog light housing!

I know this because I have a LHD CR-V and I bought a 2nd hand left rear light from UK and it doesn't have the whole... So I am in the process of drilling it and I can tell that its not an easy job...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks npapanik. You understand exactly. Please let me know how you get on and more importantly how you did it.

·
2,785 Posts
Now I have bulb questions. So, it there are high and low (regular) intensity taillight bulbs for these fog lights, are these the same bulbs as our tail/brake dual filament bulbs, or are the fog ones a different, super-bright bulb? And if so, what are those bulb numbers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now I have bulb questions. So, it there are high and low (regular) intensity taillight bulbs for these fog lights, are these the same bulbs as our tail/brake dual filament bulbs, or are the fog ones a different, super-bright bulb? And if so, what are those bulb numbers?
All are 21W as are the Reverse and the Brake Light.

·
2,785 Posts
All are 21W as are the Reverse and the Brake Light.
Okay, thanks. Hmmm. I was expecting the answer to be some sort of ultra-bright bulbs. Which would interest me as I'd like to increase my rear visibility to following drivers with brighter rear lights. I'll have to investigate an LED solution. I know they have those in ultrabright flavors, as I've had them on big truck trailers, and those are like twice as bright as stock ones. I've also seen some on local cars. Research time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Npapanik did you manage to fit the second rear fog light? I've just bought one from a scrappy. Did you drill the hole? Where did you run the wire or is there a live on the non working side when the fog light is switched on?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was expecting the answer to be some sort of ultra-bright bulbs
21W is the max (tungsten) wattage allowed in the rear lights in Europe. Rear fogs are brighter due to special lens/reflector design. The beam is more directional and concentrated than in the brake lights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts