Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the struts but im not seeing an easy way to do it. I tried forcing the ball out of the socket on the struts but it is not wanting to come out. Does the whole thing have to be replaced? I'm seeing lots of options for replacement parts but they do not come with the ball part already installed. I'm also not seeing any videos on this around the web. If you need pics I can post some. I just need to know how to remove the struts.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
A small electrical type screwdriver will be enough to "pop" the clip off.

Word of advice. Have a tailgate resting on a step ladder before you remove the strut, and note the orientation of the strut so you can put the new one back on. This is one of the simplest, easiest and most satisfying repairs to do for any owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the replacement strut I keep finding ones like these when I search 2000 honda crv rear lift support. These do not look right at all, but it is like all I am finding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It really is that easy.
The key is finding a tiny enough screwdriver to get under the clip.
You don't have to remove the clip all the way off, by the way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
those are different.

Use loc-tite on those.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,178 Posts
The part number is 04741-S10-010. The ball doesn't come out easily. The new strut will come with a set of 2 ball/screws with each strut.
Install the new ball/screws then snap the strut on to the ball joint. Or they will be already attached to the strut and you screw them in with an open end winch.
Nobody uses this style anymore...Chrysler also used these for awhile. Had them on my jeeps.

Very expensive OEM

More reasonable aftermarket

Here's a set from Amazon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 CRV. The factory replacements are an assembly with the mounts included and very expensive. I replaced just the arms with StrongArm supports which are much better and cheaper and they snap right on. However, I had to cut the old ones off with a zizz wheel so I could use the original mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get an answer that worked? The original 2000 hatch struts do not have clips to remove struts from the ball.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,075 Posts
My original hatch supports are still working fine at 22 years/226,000 miles. if I have to replace them, I'm not going to touch an aftermarket part because I would not expect them to last another 200,000 mi. Spending for the OE part is worth not having to replace them again to me.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX Leather
9 Posts
Did you ever get an answer that worked? The original 2000 hatch struts do not have clips to remove struts from the ball.
My original hatch supports are still working fine at 22 years/226,000 miles. if I have to replace them, I'm not going to touch an aftermarket part because I would not expect them to last another 200,000 mi. Spending for the OE part is worth not having to replace them again to me.
I have the same question/situation with my '99. The ball socket has no clip I could see and doesn't want to separate from the ball. Struts are fine but I need to replace gaskets on the glass- taking apart this junction seems the most logical way. Honda parts diagram shows the ball/socket as part of the strut so maybe it doesn't come apart without damage or the ability to reinstall??? Think I need to replace struts just to replace the window gaskets?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
what I did back in teh days was put a recent wrench on the Gimbal and lefty loosy, righty tighty. take your time not to scratch it good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can recall only needing to replace the pot metal disc nuts that go through the window glass, they seemed to be pulled on every junkyard victim very soon after any vehicle hit the yard, I was lucky a couple times and hoarded a few over the years. I recently went to get some of my things out of the old V since I had used it for storage and one strut mount failed, lucky for me I didn’t immediately reach into the back because I’d still be in a cast or such from the window falling straight down and thankfully I didn’t get a broken window either. I can say the balls are stuck in there very well and if your certain it’s the strut, you could go raid the junkyard for an original as they ought to be cheaper there and you’ll know they are working or not, dont forget to take your drill battery and a couple jumper wires to “pop” the rear window from the switch.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,075 Posts
dont forget to take your drill battery and a couple jumper wires to “pop” the rear window
I never thought to bring a drill to a yard. Thanks!

Fwiw, I don't think the hatch glass is heavy enough to break bones, but that sure would have been annoying!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not sure if the glass is indeed heavy enough to break fingers but as fas as that thing dropped with the edge and door seal so tight, it would’ve been painful to say the least

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
Well there is a flaw in the 2nd gen and a gentle tap of the rear spare tire will cause the flext to shatter the rear hatch. that was the talk back then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts