Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guide is for replacing the rear engine mount on the 2002-2006 CR-V.

This was done on a 2006 AWD EX AT.

How do you tell if your engine mounts are bad?

- Engine shaking/shifting excessively
- Clunking on shifting into gear or acceleration/engine braking
- Visual inspection
- If they are old, they are probably going bad.

Mine were worn at 173,000 miles. I get a thump under high acceleration.

On these cars, it's usually the front and rear motor mounts that go bad.

Replacement is cheap and easy.

First, jack the car up and have a look underneath. The engine mount is pictured below, just to the left of the drive shaft. You can see the 14mm bolt going through it to the left.

Looking directly underneath, you can see the 3 14mm bolts that hold the motor mount on. Remove all of these, as well as the one going through the motor mount.

You can finagle the mount towards the rear of the car without removing anything else.

Here is a side by side, the bad mount next to a good one. You can see that the rubber has torn completely through.

Installation is the reverse of removal. However, to actually install the mount, you might need to support the engine with some kind of jack to release pressure from the main bolt as you install it. Jack towards the rear of the transmission near the drive shaft.

That's it! You're done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write up! Don't you need to support the engine before removing the bolt in pic #3?

You don't need to. Supporting the engine can help with removal of that bolt, but as long as the other engine mounts are attached, the engine will shift only a tiny amount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck...

You don't need to. Supporting the engine can help with removal of that bolt, but as long as the other engine mounts are attached, the engine will shift only a tiny amount.
I cannot seem to get the bolt out the final inch or so because as it came partway through the mount the pressure angled it downward and the drive shaft is in the way preventing me from getting a wrench on it. I have the car on ramps but I cannot figure out where to lift to reduce the stress on the bolt so I can get it out.

Two questions, where can I place a jack to reduce the stress on the bolt, and does the bolt need to thread through both ends of the mounting bracket or is it threaded only on the left side of the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Additional Info

[Also when installing the mount, install the 3 bolts first but do not tighten all the way. When you will start aligning the hole for the large bolt, you will need to have some play to move the mount to center the hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like a Front engine mount change rather than a rear. Anyway. Does the rear mount come off easily or requires jacking up too on the diff or axle??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts