·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hello

Has anyone upgrade their rear sway bar on their gen 5 crv?

Im a huge fan of upgraded rear sway bars...ive done it all my cars that i have owned. The only one ive found available the gen 5 is:
https://www.carid.com/megan-racing/adjustable-rear-sway-bar-mpn-mrs-ha-0891.html?singleid=568664143

Some sites says this fits only the gen 4 but some says gen 5 will work too. Anyone know?
Megan Racing website doesn't list that for us.

We haven't really seen a big market for suspension changes and probably never well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently run a progress sway bar. The 10th gen civic, accord 4dr, and civic type r use the same rear sway bar. I was the test dummy for this bar as no one knew if parts crossed between models. I've had it on for 4k miles with no fitment issues. It is identical to stock. Really helped with correcting the understeer in the vehicle.

part number 62.1018 is what I'm running. It's over 3x the stock rate. They offer one that's twice the stock rate, but that seems pointless given the taller profile with this vehicle. No ill effects of the stiffer bar. Much more stable at speed and cornering. Does make the front sway bar feel a bit soft, but good luck changing that out.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

Has anyone upgrade their rear sway bar on their gen 5 crv?

Im a huge fan of upgraded rear sway bars...ive done it all my cars that i have owned. The only one ive found available the gen 5 is:
Megan Racing® - Rear Adjustable Sway Bar

Some sites says this fits only the gen 4 but some says gen 5 will work too. Anyone know?

Does NOT fit - i ordered twice thinking i fat fingered my first one, the second attempt to return to carid, they made me send photos of ’how it didnt fit’ needless to say that pissed me off. TLDR: that one wont work, and megan racing wont listen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does NOT fit - i ordered twice thinking i fat fingered my first one, the second attempt to return to carid, they made me send photos of ’how it didnt fit’ needless to say that pissed me off. TLDR: that one wont work, and megan racing wont listen.
if you're 2wd the progress bars fit. I've been running one with no issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you're 2wd the progress bars fit. I've been running one with no issues
Thanks for the tip. I have awd and I just found this and ordered it, in case anyone else is looking:

·
Banned
2017 OBPM CRV TOURING
3 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have awd and I just found this and ordered it, in case anyone else is looking:

found this with a quick google for $99 less exact part #

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 CRV EX with under 6,500 miles and wasn't happy with the roll issue too. Many of the above suggestions were suggested so long story short, I installed Rubber Shox DuraTPE Red series coil spring buffers from Amazon on the front and back coil springs. They were less than $50 for the 2 front and pairs and were easy to install. I used a hydraulic jack, jack stands and WD-40 to lubricate the parts to slide the buffers into the springs.

I had to measure the the spaces between the front and rear springs while they were loaded and unloaded. I also noted the diameter of the coils and ordered the parts shown below. You will have to measure your springs if you have a different year and generation. These will fit 2017-2021 but you should probably measure yours anyway as I don't know if the AWD and Touring model suspensions are different.

I only had to remove the rear tires as there was enough space on the front to install them without removing the tires. Clean the coils springs and spray WD-40 on the buffers and coils to make installation easier. They come with instructions and you can also view posted videos. It took me one hour to do the rear as I did one spring at a time but half that time because I jacked up the entire front and did both of them at the same time.

They initially lifted the vehicle height but once the buffers compressed on the coils during my test drives, they settled back down to the original height while driving. I totally love how vehicle handles turns and curves and the suspension feels tighter and closer how my other vehicles feel on the road, not mushy as before. I'm very happy with them because I didn't have to spend as much time and money as the other options, I could do it myself and they didn't change the vehicle height and affect the alignment.

CRV GEN 5
Front:RED model: CSB-B-R Size B
Rear: RED model: CSB-D-R Size D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why is anyone upgrading the sway bars on a CR-V? These are not race cars. They corner, just fine, for what they are. I upgraded them on my Mini Cooper and my kid’s Subaru WRX. I don’t see the point on a family car....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Really depends on where you live. I drive 90+% my CRV on winding roads with many off-camber turns where the CRV tends to struggle a with understeer. Putting on a larger rear swaybar certainly does not turn it into a race car but does help an incremental amount with respect to turn-in which is not a very strong point of the CRV. Just as a comparison, my wife's MB GLK350 is considerably sharper so I did at least achieve an improvement with a slightly larger rear swaybar.

Just a comparison point I used to autocross a Mazda Miata in STS with fully adjustable coil over suspension with multiple swaybar options to balance the oversteer/understeer. I'm not trying to make the CRV anywhere near that beast but having the ability to mildly change the handling balance is a benefit. If you are happy with your CRV as-is that's great! If you are are a fiddler like me then it is one more knob to turn :)

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,170 Posts
Really depends on where you live. I drive 90+% my CRV on winding roads with many off-camber turns where the CRV tends to struggle a with understeer. Putting on a larger rear swaybar certainly does not turn it into a race car but does help an incremental amount with respect to turn-in which is not a very strong point of the CRV. Just as a comparison, my wife's MB GLK350 is considerably sharper so I did at least achieve an improvement with a slightly larger rear swaybar.

Just a comparison point I used to autocross a Mazda Miata in STS with fully adjustable coil over suspension with multiple swaybar options to balance the oversteer/understeer. I'm not trying to make the CRV anywhere near that beast but having the ability to mildly change the handling balance is a benefit. If you are happy with your CRV as-is that's great! If you are are a fiddler like me then it is one more knob to turn :)
There are a lot of things about the design of the drive system and supporting systems on a gen-5 CRV that have interdependencies to them. So.. changing one thing, may have an impact on other things. What comes to mind immediately to me is the traction control system, which is tuned on key design assumptions by Honda engineers, particularly if it is an AWD version. Unlike prior generation CRVs... the gen5 AWDs actually are applying traction to all four wheels anytime you are applying fuel to the engine via your accelerator pedal. Changing the suspension tuning may, or may not, have unintended consequences... so I personally put this one in the "if it's not broke.. don't try to fix it" camp. :)

I am also in the camp of "learn how your vehicle handles under a range of driving conditions and adapt your driving accordingly"... NOT the reverse, as you are proposing in trying to modify the handling of your CRV to more closely match your existing driving habits and patterns.

But, as I always say... your vehicle your choice. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why is anyone upgrading the sway bars on a CR-V? These are not race cars. They corner, just fine, for what they are. I upgraded them on my Mini Cooper and my kid’s Subaru WRX. I don’t see the point on a family car....
Smh - Because manufacturers build for masses, and some of us just want a more capable compact suv, and dont want a WRX? Why did Honda make an Acura MDX with bigger swaybars, lower profile tires, SH AWD with torq vectoring to yaw the rear end - if people could just buy a sports car? Because they dont want a sports car... and we dont want an MDX...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.