Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased a CRV LX AWD, new in May 2018
with stock tires (HanKook - Kinergy)

Mostly Highway driving at 100-110 kph
good fuel efficiency (6.9 -7.3) L/100 km

Rear tires worn out equally on both
@ 15,000KM thread depth was 5/32
@ 30,000 km thread depth is 0/32, (yes 0/32)

Front tires showing normal wear at
@ 15,000 km 7/32 thread depth
@ 30,000 km 5/32 thread depth
recent wheel alignment shows only a slight toe misalignment on front wheel
Rear wheel within spec except for

camber on driver side wheel out slightly, no adjustment available, not sure why?

could the AWD be causing an oscillating drag on the rear wheel for premature wear?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Honda Service Dept, had no solution to the problem (will monitor wear on winter tires).

Thanks

Samsoncaper

·
Registered
502 Posts
Suggest another dealer as this should be a warranty issue. 30,000km is not much even though these are not very good tires, unless you are a very aggresive driver.. AWD should only kick in very occasionally and should not be a factor.
So is the wear even on the rear tires and no vibrations?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can tell you that the dealer will simply refer you to Hankook to deal with the tire warranty.

And the Hankooks are crap. Mine lasted ~40,000 miles, the last 14,000 of which they were extremely noisy, due to cupping--which Hankook said is normal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That sounds very strange and I agree that your dealer should check it out. I have 7K on my Hankooks and by far most of the wear is on the fronts. I admit that even with AWD I squeal and break traction out of corners in the dry in "S" mode since I drive on winding roads as my daily commute at 4am in the morning. I still have way more wear on the front tires due to the suspension being tuned for understeer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
purchased a CRV LX AWD, new in May 2018
with stock tires (HanKook - Kinergy)

Mostly Highway driving at 100-110 kph
good fuel efficiency (6.9 -7.3) L/100 km

Rear tires worn out equally on both
@ 15,000KM thread depth was 5/32
@ 30,000 km thread depth is 0/32, (yes 0/32)

Front tires showing normal wear at
@ 15,000 km 7/32 thread depth
@ 30,000 km 5/32 thread depth
recent wheel alignment shows only a slight toe misalignment on front wheel
Rear wheel within spec except for

camber on driver side wheel out slightly, no adjustment available, not sure why?

could the AWD be causing an oscillating drag on the rear wheel for premature wear?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Honda Service Dept, had no solution to the problem (will monitor wear on winter tires).

Thanks

Samsoncaper
If your story is accurate, I’d be pretty disappointed in your dealership not looking deeper for the cause. No way a set of rear tires should be bald after 19k highway miles on a practically new car, rotated or not.
Something is wrong. Watch your 4wd screen and see when and how much it’s engaging

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do believe that Hankook's are crap. My parents have a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport I believe it has 20" wheels.With 22,000 miles are almost shot. The car is a lease that goes back in August and I told him the tires won't make it that long. I wonder if this is a strategy to make people that lease have to replace the tires before the turn in. This car was stupid money and dad doesn't even like it that much. They have had a couple of Pilots before and wish they did not listen to my sister who suggested it. My father likes his 2005 CRV EXL better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts