Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 CR-V 193k Miles

I noticed some rattling noise from my rear suspension even after replacing the sway bar links, and found the rubber on one of my trailing arm bushings broken top and bottom, and the other on the bottom, so effectively neither was functional.

I bought some new OEM bushings, but I don't have the press to install them on the car, and beating them into place on the car seemed rough, and I did not want to remove the hub assembly and use my hydraulic shop press given it's AWD and the hassles of the axles, so I bought a set of the "Easy Install" poly bushings.There are 2 kinds-one installs INSIDE the old bushing shell (Energy Suspension), and the type with two "ears" that installs in the naked arm (shell removed), which is the kind I purchased.

They were very easy to install (once the trailing arm was hanging only about 5min to install), but given how easy they went in, I am wondering if anyone has had them pop OUT in use?

Also, I marked precisely around the toe adjustment bolts before removing them and reinstalled them exactly where they were preciously (within 0.25mm I'd guess). How essential is it to spend $100 for an alignment given I seriously doubt the rear was touched since it left the factory and the tires seem to be wearing evenly? Since I didn't use the OEM bushings, maybe the exact location of the arms is slightly different given the rubber attach points on the OEM ones are not dead-centered when weight is on the tires (as they are centered using the poly bushings).

One issue with the EZ Install ones was that the "ears" are wide and opposite each other and will not exactly fit into the stamped recess in the banana shaped trailing arms of the CR-V. I don't know if the other vehicles the same part is listed for (Acura/Civic) have straight arms that would accommodate the wide ears opposite each other. I trimmed one of the ears so it would nest in the trailing arm recess, which required reprofiling one of the ears taking a wedge about 8mm at the widest part off.

One picture shows the bushing with white paint showing the wedge I removed to fit in the trailing arm recess, and the other shows the installed bushing with the resized ear facing forward. You can see without trimming the ear on the top front side, it wouldn't have nested in the trailing arm, and would encourage the bushing to pop out (ask me how I know that).

Has anyone used this type with long term success, and were yours shaped to fit w/o trimming? My bushings came from A1Auto, but the ones from PSB were shaped exactly the same. Thanks-

Bob

Auto part
Auto part

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Energy Suspension bushings are somewhat different in that they are cylindrical and press into the old OEM bushings' shells (that are in turn lubricated and pressed into the trailing arm)..

They type !A Auto and PSB sells press directly into the trailing arms and do not use the old bushing shells. They have "ears" that prevent them from pressing in "too far" and which also prevent the bushings from "rotating" in the trailing arm since the ears fit intro the contour of the stamped arms. I don't know the shape of Civic or Integra arms (are they straight, or do they have a 15 deg or so "bend" at the bushing location (as the CR-V arms have).

The ears WOULD fit perfectly into a straight arm, but in the "banana" shaped CR-V arms, the ears won't recess as intended unless on ear on each bushing is modified by trimming the ear.(white portion) so it can conform to the arm shape.

Overall, I am delighted with the poly bushings and the vehicle feels much more stable, even though one of my OEM bushings was intact but for some cracking in the ribber, while the other was cracked through, but still well-located by the bushing shell. Hopefully the bushings will last a lifetime, so I won't miss the "Lifetime Warranty" the product comes with UNLESS at all modified as it needs to be to fit the CR-V at least.

I wrote 1A Auto about the oddity, but they did not see fit to engage in discussion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I looked them up on YouTube and saw how they press into the old shell, then you force the pipe through the center. They are considerably wider than the type I used.

Just curious, did you also notice a wonderful transformation in the ride, handling and stability of the poly over the stock bushings?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts