Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my other half just noticed that the back tires are leaning inwards what would cause this to happen and this was right after I had just changed brake pads and rotors is it something I did or is it normal gonna do calipers today 07 black gen 3

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Did you drive the car at least 50 feet since it came off the jackstands? The rear will 'settle' somewhat.

If the rear tires are wearing on the inside, you need to have the suspension checked out (bad bushings, or alignment).

·
Registered
17 Posts
On some v's the rear has non-adjustable camber, and the upper control arm wears and makes it have negative camber (least the upmost common reason why)
Get these but for your year, then get an allignment and specify you want the rear camber corrected.

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! How many miles does this car have on it?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
My wheels look off until I drive it around the block to let it settle. Then all is well when I'm back in the driveway.
Also, some vehicles with IRS (independent rear suspension) will look visibly 'off' just from backing up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 2018 CRV Touring with 2000 miles. Took to dealer to rotate tires but rear tires were cupped so bad that dealer couldnt. Is this a Honda problem or Tire problem? Who is responsible??

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's typically an alignment problem, depending on the cause the dealer may may cover it.

Sometimes its on you though, its around $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
It's typically an alignment problem, depending on the cause the dealer may may cover it.

Sometimes its on you though, its around $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.
@Airport Frank is the 2,000 mile statement a typo, or accurate? I'd expect any tire cupping to take a lot more than that to appear. Especially if "rear tires were cupped so bad that dealer couldn't" do a rotation. (First rotation comes up on the Maintenance Minder at the initial service after purchase)

First effort should be towards a wheel alignment (and, point out this issue to the shop).

If you can post a picture of the cupping that would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Airport Frank is the 2,000 mile statement a typo, or accurate? I'd expect any tire cupping to take a lot more than that to appear. Especially if "rear tires were cupped so bad that dealer couldn't" do a rotation. (First rotation comes up on the Maintenance Minder at the initial service after purchase)

First effort should be towards a wheel alignment (and, point out this issue to the shop).

My previous remarks on rear tires cupping on 2018 CRV Touring and unable to rotate should I have shown milage as 20,000 and not 2,000. Sorry for the error.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Thanks... In that case, you could ask the dealer for a complimentary (warranty) alignment.

But, we gotta warn you, Honda will not reimburse the dealers on alignments after one year's service. The reason? Drivers could have hit potholes or curbs, or something else 'caused' the alignment to go off in the rear. So, you might be expected to pay.

Have the tires been rotated at least twice in 20K miles? (The code should have come up on the MM at two oil changes in 20K)

I'd still love to see a picture of what the dealer says is 'too much cupping to rotate". If you rotate the tires at this point, you may need to tolerate noticeable tire noise until you actually NEED to replace the tires...and remember, with AWD CR-Vs, you should replace all 4 tires at once to avoid taxing the rear differential's AWD clutches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks... In that case, you could ask the dealer for a complimentary (warranty) alignment.

But, we gotta warn you, Honda will not reimburse the dealers on alignments after one year's service. The reason? Drivers could have hit potholes or curbs, or something else 'caused' the alignment to go off in the rear. So, you might be expected to pay.

Have the tires been rotated at least twice in 20K miles? (The code should have come up on the MM at two oil changes in 20K)

I'd still love to see a picture of what the dealer says is 'too much cupping to rotate". If you rotate the tires at this point, you may need to tolerate noticeable tire noise until you actually NEED to replace the tires...and remember, with AWD CR-Vs, you should replace all 4 tires at once to avoid taxing the rear differential's AWD clutches.
Thanks for your help. Might have thought of cupping tires if out of alignment due pot holes ect on front but these are rear tires. Dealer did say that if they had rotated back to front, would only have ruined those tires also. Tire noise from rear seems very loud. Taking to dealer next week. Thanks

Y

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Feathering or cupping tread blocks WILL become loud as the rubber ages and hardens. So tire rotation has NEVER been done?

I'm not saying you didn't have an issue from the factory, just saying that the 'statute of limitations' is past.

If you decide that the noise is un-bearable, and you spring for new tires, ask what tire models folks are running that have remained quiet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for your help. Might have thought of cupping tires if out of alignment due pot holes ect on front but these are rear tires. Dealer did say that if they had rotated back to front, would only have ruined those tires also. Tire noise from rear seems very loud. Taking to dealer next week. Thanks

Y
Front or rear, it can be either, thats why it's a 4 wheel alignment.

People have reported odd handling and/or premature tire wear on CRVs due to misalignment when new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts