Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,698 Posts
As already noted.. if your front wipers are on, and you put the CRV into reverse, the rear wipers engage.

Reason: logic and safety
......if there is rain/shower/drizzle hitting your front window.. the same weather exists on your rear window as well, and being in reverse it is highly likely you need to actually see out the rear window.... as well as mirrors and backup camera. ;) Honda considers that for maximum safety... both camera, side mirrors, and rear view mirror need to be used as an integrated set by the driver.

Don't want the rear wiper to react, as noted above.... turn off our wipers before putting the vehicle in reverse.

Believe it or not, this part of the Honda safety package on their modern vehicles, and I personally am glad that it does so.

· Premium Member
10,698 Posts
I guess if you really didn't want to ever use the rear wiper, just pull the fuse or install a fuse bypass switch.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Blue-Ox/BX88272.html
Or simply remove the wiper arm completely. It is only a single bolt, remove it, replace the plastic cover where the wiper arm bolt connects, and be done with it.

OR.. I guess an owner could just continue to rant and complain about the feature.... but that is pretty much playing the role of victim in my view. :p

· Premium Member
10,698 Posts
Prior to my 2013 Rogue (which did not have this "benefit") the newest car I drove on a regular basis was a 1996 Camry. It seems this feature is not new to Honda, but Honda is new to me. Only the Rogue and my 2019 CR-V have been equipped with rear wipers. All my other vehicles were regular cars with a trunk and a standard rear window.
A Camry, regardless of age, does not have a rear wiper blade. Same is true by the way for every single Honda Sedan.

A rear wiper blade is generally limited to SUVs/CUVs, and station wagons (if there are any left on the road). Reason: Vertical rear window does not get the benefit of force air cleaning like a sedan rear window does when actually driving down the road at speed. Any wind tunnel demonstration would prove this.

· Premium Member
10,698 Posts
Actually that might not be true. Seems I remember the Camry had a small station wagon version. Don't remember if it had a rear wiper or not but it might be possible.
So you completely ignored my statement about rear wipers only applying to SUVs, CUVs, and Station Wagons (if any are still on the road)??

Clearly, you did not mean station wagon when you said Camry earlier ... which you freely admitted had no rear wiper.

Let me be more blunt.... manufacturers DO NOT put rear wiper blades on sedans, so your earlier reference to Camry has no valid context here.

In point of fact, the old 1990's era Camry station wagons had rear wipers (because they are a station wagon with a vertical rear window), and here is a photo of a Camry station wagon with dual rear wipers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.