Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went through a soft cloth car wash here in Toronto and this happened. The roller came down on the rear of my crv and the wiper twisted and cracked. You can see in the pic it cracked just above where the bolt is. I took off the cap and the wiper just before taking this picture. Has this happened to anyone else? The car wash manager said it happens very rarely so I am guessing it has got to do with the vehicle and not the actual car wash.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I never had one damaged by a car wash, but then I look for the "touchless" type of car washes.

I did replace the rear arm on my 1999 CR-V, but that was from age and rust/corrosion that made it stop working correctly. I replaced both front arms at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
Car washers used to TAPE down the rear wiper, yours did not, and there you go. this has happened Years ago, nothing new for me.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,754 Posts
Bad luck there dude.

Its things like this that put me off from ever using an automated car wash ever again. Nothing beats the satisfaction of detailing/cleaning a car yourself.

Hope you get it fixed soon :)

Reactions: VIVADUDE

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
and the car washs also takes off antenna's they also can LIFT the brush. these are the things "you the owner can request. Yeah I went through washes. to simply get salt off. Been there done that....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I recently went through a soft cloth car wash here in Toronto and this happened. The roller came down on the rear of my crv and the wiper twisted and cracked. You can see in the pic it cracked just above where the bolt is. I took off the cap and the wiper just before taking this picture. Has this happened to anyone else? The car wash manager said it happens very rarely so I am guessing it has got to do with the vehicle and not the actual car wash.
View attachment 137291
The car wash should pay to repair it. Most have insurance that covers damage. They will only not pay for after market accessories anything OEM should be covered by the car wash. They normally will not volunteer this, you need to press them.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
The car wash should pay to repair it. Most have insurance that covers damage. They will only not pay for after market accessories anything OEM should be covered by the car wash. They normally will not volunteer this, you need to press them.
every motorized car wash ive ever been to has signs all over saying NOT
RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE

I dont think $30/40 for a new arm will break the bank lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE

What they say and what they are responsible for are not necessarily the same.!! If they don't cover damage, why would anyone go to a car wash. Just had a friend get reimbursed for damage at a car wash.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE

They can say it.. but they cannot enforce it. They can easily loose their business license with city if the owner complains and multiple owner complaints are on file. And it gets worse if they are part of a fuel company chain.. because owners will raise hell with the home office of the fuel company.

What they can enforce is certain stipulations.. like not responsible for anything left in the back of a truck bed for example... as that is clearly on the owner.

The most common issue I am aware of where I live is that they get some dirt adhered to the brushes and it then scratches paint.... and they are responsible because it is faulty equipment on their part.

Where I get my CRV washed.. they make a point of stating no responsibility for any leaks due to windows not being sealed, no responsibility for anything left in the bed of an open truck, no responsibility for anything installed after market on the vehicle, no responsibility for any vehicle with a height over 7 feet, AND because we have a bunch of stupid drivers in town with automatic wipers that they fail to turn off before entering the car wash.... they take no responsibility for wipers (front or rear..... due to damage from automatic operation).

In response to the original poster... many years of running CRVs through the same car wash... and never any issues with the rear wiper blade assembly. But when I think about it.. I can see how the brushes could possibly get caught in a wiper blade assembly under exactly the right circumstances.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went in and showed the manager the damage and he was pretty decent guy, told me he will pay for the arm if I installed it myself. I went to Honda dealership right then and bought the part. Had to fill out a form and he paid me for the arm. It was 58 CAD just for the arm without the wiper. This is apparently the process at the PetroCanada gas station automatic car washes. I dont know if all PetroCanada car washes would reimberse or for that matter other branded car washes would pay. To be honest....i dont want to go through the same hassle again even if they reimberse me for the broken part.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A few washes will actually "bag" the wiper (using a long, heavy duty clear plastic sleeve. I saved one of the bags and use it every time I go through a wash that doesn't offer them (after a wrap-around side washer bent the blade assembly) and have had no issues since.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
48 Posts
The car wash I use does the rear wiper bag trick too. They also spray the front and windshield with a hand wand. I suspect they are looking if the wipers come on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They can say it.. but they cannot enforce it. They can easily loose their business license with city if the owner complains and multiple owner complaints are on file.
That may be true in the USA but definitely not in Ontario. Municipalities will not get involved in a dispute like this. If the car wash is part of a major fuel company you will have more positive results. If the site manager will not cooperate go right to customer service at the oil company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car wash I use does the rear wiper bag trick too. They also spray the front and windshield with a hand wand. I suspect they are looking if the wipers come on.
Can I ask where this is cause I want this? I have lived in several cities in BC, Alberta and Ontario and never had this done at a car wash.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can I ask where this is cause I want this? I have lived in several cities in BC, Alberta and Ontario and never had this done at a car wash.
I'm in Pennsylvania. I actually asked a manager where they got the bags because other places were asking me (they did not use them and it did not seem they had seen them before). I was told a supply store called Kleen-Rite offers them. Sadly I haven't seen said location that inquired about the bags start using them.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
48 Posts
I am in Hamilton, Ontario, the car wash I use is Suds, which is right behind Lime Ridge Mall on Lime Ridge Rd.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am in Hamilton, Ontario, the car wash I use is Suds, which is right behind Lime Ridge Mall on Lime Ridge Rd.
The only car wash locations that I have seen this done at are full service manned Petro Canada washes....and they are far and few between. I would recommend that you only use touchless washes....not as good as soft cloth or brush...but no damage....usually!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry about the damage. Have used a carwash for my 2017-V without problems for what its worth. FYI: eBay has Gen 5 rear wiper arm w/ blade for about $15. U.S. if anybody needs it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts