Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I put everything on the Mutt back together, connected all of the connectors and clipped all hoses and such back where they go.

So I tried turning over. And it turns over just fine; no resistance or anything. Nice and strong.

I can smell fuel when I crank it for a while, as it won't start. I know it's getting fuel, so that's not the issue. The gas is old, so I don't know if that will make it not start.

My timing light flashes when I crank it, so I know it's getting spark to the cylinders. Upon removing the brand new spark plug from cylinder one, it was blackened. I am confused by this.

The car has been sitting for a couple of months while I've been piecing it back together.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
few things can be wrong.
you can be 180deg off
off timing all together.
fouled spark plugs, specially if they are blackened. - remove all soot and make sure they spark.

inspect distributor cap from inside and make sure the contacts are 100% clean and no vissible gray flake is deposited at the point of contact between dist. rotor and dist. cap wires contact little studs.

old fuel will definnitely wont spark but it all depnds of what you call old fuel. 2 mo. its practically fresh unless the fuel cap was off or you have a small leak and the volatiles evaporated away. but 2 mo. its not old.

also make sure the air filter its either clean or removed to ensure fast fresh air. its not like this is necessary but in all honesty I've gone to a friends house to diagnose a no starting vehicle and the air filter was 200% clogged up, so no fresh air was going inside the engine.

make sure the fuel presure is connected,

IF,
you have fouled SP and they were good before the repair then either the O2 sensor is bad because of contamination from antifreeze (I am assuming the head repair was due to overheating). and IF the engine did overheated then chances are the catalityc converter is either still wet, clogged up or just bad. overheating and loosing antifreeze to the exhaust will destroy the catalityc converter and O 2 sensor. both can cause the engine to flood.

keep us posted.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Check your coolant temperature sensor and make sure it is connected and working. If those sensors start acting up they usually tell the ECU that it is really cold and they pour the fuel to it an floods the engine. If you have a scan tool that shows live data you can check it there. If that is working start double checking connections. The crank and cam sensors may be damaged or unplugged. Check the mechanical timing again to be sure you didn't put it on a couple teeth off on one of the sprockets. If all that checks out go back to your ignition timing and make sure it is right. Lots of possibilities. If you don't have a decent scan tool, I would get one. Even if you have to borrow one from a friend. It may very well point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my distributor was just pooched. I bought a new one and it worked like a hot damn.

Thanks for the advice, folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts