Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED ON LAST PAGE

Hey guys, so I need some help...

My power steering pump was leaking at the housing so I had some free time and decided to rebuild it to get it to stop dripping on my alternator. No symptoms before this. I took it off, rebuilt it according to the service manual and a great youtube video with new o rings and bearing, and put it back on. Started her up, no power steering. No funny noises, no leaks, just not working! Okay... took it back off and thought maybe I mixed up the cam ring and where it goes. Possible, but I double checked everything this time. Made sure the the shaft would spin when I turned the pulley, everything seemed good. Put it back together and back on the car, same thing. No extra noises, no leaks. Just no power steering. I used CarQuest Honda power steering fluid. Both hoses, high and low pressure, had fluid coming out of them when I took them off the pump. I'm totally stumped. Am I missing something super obvious here? If no one has anything I guess my next move will be to buy a reman and stick it on the car.... since I'm so good at changing them now! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Only thing I can think of is: Are the input and output hoses connected correctly?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean they can only go on one way, even I couldn't have screwed that up! One that bolts in and the other that uses a clamp. But yes they are. So the shaft the pulley sits on did get a few cuts on it, but I don't see how it wouldn't be able to engage. Like I said in my first post, I was turning the pulley by hand and while I had the housing off, it was spinning where it would turn the rotor. Thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Is the fluid in the reservoir foamy when engine running?

Did you put the pressure relief valve in correctly?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never seen it foamy, looks good running and after. I watched a YouTube video where it was foamy just to be sure. Good call on the prv, I made it a point to check that when tearing it apart the 2nd time. Put it in correctly both times.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,550 Posts
Just to clarify, you are seeing the fluid churn in the reservoir while the engine is running (meaning the pump is working), but you don't get any assist?

Could you have air in the system (steering rack)? Have you turned the wheels full-lock in both directions while the engine is running?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the fluid was churning. Actually, no it wasn't. Maybe air, but I have turned the wheels fully to each side with the engine running.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I broke down and bought a reman... I know I know. It was only $100 after a discount for a Cardon and I grabbed it today and installed it. Well, I must have messed up the rebuild. Power steering is back. I do have foamy fluid and a whine but I assume thats from air in the system. Now to research on how to bleed it...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jack up the front of the car to get some weight off the wheels and crank the steering wheel left and right a bunch of times with the engine off. That usually purges the air out. Be sure to check the fluid after you do this a few times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just did thanks. Well, looks like I'm getting air in the system. I did exactly that and got it to where there was no bubbles in the fluid. Started her up, whining and bubbles. Repeated the process and same result. Fluid level goes down when the car is off and I've finished bleeding. New o ring in that inlet hose as well. I think the line that runs from the reservoir to the rack that has the metal fitting got jacked up when I was taking the reservoir on and off. I left it overnight pulled forward and I can see some fluid coming from the fitting (even though theres fluid kinda everywhere). Looking up the part now, hopefully its not expensive! If not, ill stop by a hose place and jig something up. Edit: $15 part, **** it, stopping by the honda dealer tomorrow to buy it. Might try and change it at work...

EDIT- I went and cleaned up around the parts and tried to clean up the metal fitting on part 53733-S9A-003. Couldn't really get it clean and noticed it moved quite a bit out of the fitting. I could see more fluid and it looks as though I could probably pull it out if I used a little bit more force. I double checked all the other fittings and hoses around and couldn't find anything else that looked as bad as that. I hope this does this trick, will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I wasn't sure if the lines could be cross installed, that's why I asked.
Glad to hear you're on the right track now.
I'll be watching for the solution tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed it and did a quick bleed, still whining and foamy fluid. Damn it. Doing a longer bleed but I'm not optimistic. My last option is to replace the hose that goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump. It has fluid on the bottom part of hose, cleaning it up when I leave work and going to check it when I get home. If that's not it I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where air is leaking as I really doubt it's the other hose. I remembered there was another inlet on the pump, opposite the high pressure line. I had to screw the fitting off the old pump and I remember seeing a black o ring. I looked up the part number and it's the same as the other updated o ring, orange one. I'm thinking of replacing that one. Yes, the high pressure line o ring was replaced. Here's the photo, it's #11

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to replace the o ring and low and behold, there wasn't one in there. Replaced it and did a full bleed even though the level was way lower than thr low line. Still bubbles, although it "feels" much easier to turn. I'm crossing my fingers the fluid level is just below the return line, hence air still getting in the system. Will report back tomorrow once I grab more fluid!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn't update this. So after the missing oring and low fluid level, the issue has been resolved. I topped off the fluid which immediately got rid of the whining and bubbles. I hear an ever so faint whine but I'm going to do another round of bleeding which will solve it. Unfortunately, all I will know is that I rebuilt the original pump wrong, not sure of what I did incorrectly. Luckily I only wasted about $45 on rebuild plus $24 on a new hose. That coupled with the $100 for a reman pump still puts me way under a shop price of a replacement so I will consider the job a win. Thanks guys for the help. Next up... front ball joints and rear wheel bearings, yay.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You know bleed is nothing more than fill reservoir, start engine and turn to limits each way a few times. Then just drive it. My pump had the bearings shot in it, took 20 minutes to swap out and drove home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I learned that a couple weeks ago. Apparently, the PS pulley must have been worn from the PS shaft. I was driving and the car just dies. I pull over and the belt has come off with the pulley off the pump as well. I swapped the PS pump for a new one (under warranty) from discount auto parts, bought a new pulley and pulley nut. Bled the system like you said and no issues. Next time I'll check for wear on the shaft; there was some ever so slightly which eventually ground down the pulley teeth. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If the pulley fell off too that wasn't wear. That was the nut not being tight enough. Pulley only slides on, if nut came loose then that's why it spun out and fell off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the pulley was sheared where the teeth are; you could just spin it around the PS pump shaft and the shaft wouldnt turn. My assumption is it eventually sheared then backed the nut off from all the play. My PS was also acting up before it let loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts