Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by 2 experts that the bushings in my 2008 crv was bad. The repair shop installed a REBUILT unit for a high price but when I was driving it home from the garage, I noticed that the steering wheel was tight and would not go back to centre position. Twice I almost had an accident and refused to drive the car as it puts my safety at risk. Repairer said that nothing is wrong with the steering because a rebuilt rack and pinion was installed and this is common, Honda does not recommend rebuilt rack and pinion because want owners to buy a brand new rack and pinion which is very expensive and is a major job. Has anyone ever installed a rebuilt unit and what is the performance following the installation. Repairer is refusing to test drive the car with me as they said that nothing is wrong and they already test drove to vehicle and I should steer the vehicle with both hands and return the steering manually. Obviously this means that I now have a car with no power steering. Car has been parked since I took it home. Honda parts are becoming very expensive and it seems that it's time to change to another model as I cannot pay so much money to repair my car and cannot drive it comfortably..perhaps a switch to Hyundai which has been having great reviews. Has anyone ever installed a rebuilt unit and have any issues??

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
IMO you should have the same feeling with a rebuilt rack as with a brand new one. (The steering should try to return to straight)

Any GOOD shop would have gone on a ride with you to verify your concerns. It's possible that the rebuilt unit has tight seals. It is also possible that something else in the steering is tight or out of adjustment as a result of the repair.

If it is an issue with a binding rack, the shop should address it. Don't they guarantee their work?

Steering return is not a function of power assisted steering, it is usually built in through suspension geometry (positive caster..think of a shopping cart, where the front wheels return to 'straight ahead' as the cart is pushed).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
New steering rack or not, you should notice no functional difference between your old one (when it worked properly) and the new one. Or for that matter, when your CR-V was brand new in 2008, the rack was essentially new and unused at that point, and I can guarantee it would not have had this issue either. Being "new" (or freshly rebuilt) is no excuse IMHO--it makes me wonder who rebuilt the rack, and what it involved. It could have been rebuilt improperly, or had sloppy/cheap shortcuts made.

The shop is being negligent in dealing with the issue--all they see is that they have to pay more labor to their mechanic(s) to correct the situation, and they don't want to pay for it. If it is their fault, it is their prerogative to make it right. If the rebuilder provided a bad rack, then the rebuilder should be honoring a replacement at no charge, and work out the labor between the shop and the rebuilder.

Let us know how it all works out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts