Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Please do keep us updated as you do more work
Arranged some time to work in a friend's heated shop tomorrow, so hopefully going to get through as many fix-it things as possible.

I like your blue CRV too, I have that same Thule box but I have not ever put in on the CRV. Seems like the wind resistance of it would be hard on my little motor, that box makes noticeable drag on our bigger cars on the highway.

I have a winch too but not installed yet and not for recovery... I actually have a wild hair to put a lightweight UTV plow on this car if time and money allows and I would use the winch to raise and lower the blade. I have a simple flat paved driveway but its big enough it takes well over an hour with just a snow blower. I might just put the winch on the plow blade itself rather than the car and use a heavy anderson connector to just hook it up when I need it, then when I take off the plow the winch is off too. I don't need the winch for much else except that it would be handy for deer hunting, but for two uses per year still doesn't seem to be worth the permanent install for me.

If I get through my needed repair items the fun stuff I have planned next is a CB radio and PA setup. Going to mount a 3 foot fiberglass antenna up top and add the radio on top of the dash probably, PA speaker under the hood of course.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Arranged some time to work in a friend's heated shop tomorrow, so hopefully going to get through as many fix-it things as possible.

I like your blue CRV too, I have that same Thule box but I have not ever put in on the CRV. Seems like the wind resistance of it would be hard on my little motor, that box makes noticeable drag on our bigger cars on the highway.

I have a winch too but not installed yet and not for recovery... I actually have a wild hair to put a lightweight UTV plow on this car if time and money allows and I would use the winch to raise and lower the blade. I have a simple flat paved driveway but its big enough it takes well over an hour with just a snow blower. I might just put the winch on the plow blade itself rather than the car and use a heavy anderson connector to just hook it up when I need it, then when I take off the plow the winch is off too. I don't need the winch for much else except that it would be handy for deer hunting, but for two uses per year still doesn't seem to be worth the permanent install for me.

If I get through my needed repair items the fun stuff I have planned next is a CB radio and PA setup. Going to mount a 3 foot fiberglass antenna up top and add the radio on top of the dash probably, PA speaker under the hood of course.
I once had some huge preavey “system 1” PA loudspeakers. I had the idea to put them in the back of my friend’s ranger bed and pull up to a parking lot and rock out with microphones and guitars. The speakers stacked to be almost 6’ tall and almost 8’ wide.

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, I busted my butt on this car over the weekend. My friend whose garage space I borrowed sure hopes that the rest of the car continues to hold together for me to enjoy my efforts, and I have to say I agree. Many ticking time bombs in this car that I could not address with the time allowed but I did what I could for now.

I installed the new swaybar links and did some coil spring spacers in the rear to try to make up for sagging springs. Feels like a whole new car in terms of ride quality and handling.

One of my new radiator hoses is already trying to seep, the upper one where it connects to the cylinder head. This is one where I was forced to use a crappy worm-gear style clamp so it wasn't real surprising. I tightened it up a little and added a second clamp as a hail mary, there is nowhere around here where you can source the good spring clamps locally and ordering them online is just too expensive.

I patched one exhaust leak but this morning discovered another one I will have to deal with another time.

I put a semi-permanently mounted automatic trickle charger on the battery and put the cord out the front grill so I can try to keep the battery working this winter. The battery is pretty marginal, marked as Jan 2015 so its old and it doesn't help that I left the key on and drained it stone dead Friday night but luckily it was in the warm garage so it didn't freeze, and it seemed to come back to life. It cranks very pitifully in cold temps since its parked outside, hopefully using this trickle charger will help avoid needing to buy a new battery and help it start reliably in the coming cold months. Fingers crossed.

Of course I did an oil and filter change. Man, the oil filter is in a stupid place and is hard to get at on this car!

I'm really sketched out by the condition/looks of the rear brake lines... I had an incident a week ago when it was 0 degrees out and I fired it up and found the brake light on. Turned out the float in the reservoir was stuck, fluid level was not down luckily. I figured there must be moisture in the brake fluid. I wanted to flush it but the bleeders just look too nasty to risk cracking them... instead I opted for just swapping a portion of fresh fluid into the reservoir by pulling out as much as I could with a turkey baster and refilling with new fluid. Not great I know but that's all I felt comfortable doing for now with the time I had.

The oil pan is drenched in oil, but I'm not yet seeing big issues with the oil level going down too quickly. I forgot to check if the oil pan bolts where snug... maybe next time.

Looks like 3 out of 4 rear CV boots are torn... no time to do anything about those, I wonder how long before the clicking sounds will start it. Front U-joint is loose and worn too. Earmarked for a future garage day.

The most significant, and time consuming thing I got done was installing a full remote start system. Definitely debatable whether that was worth the time and effort it took to install, about an 8 hour job to do everything nicely and properly. Since the car is always parked outside in cold and snowy northern Minnesota it felt important, its nice to let the engine warm up a couple minutes and get a tiny jumpstart on defrost before stepping out of the house or leaving work, especially since I go immediately from my driveway or work parking lot to a 65 MPH 4 lane highway, it's not like I get to drive it gently for 2-10 minutes on slow side roads when I leave my house or work... its straight from 0 to 70 MPH traffic, whether its 10 below zero or not, hence I feel like warmups are worth it. Naturally I went all the way and properly tapped the tach signal wire, thats the only way these things work reliably in the cold temps up here. The so called "virtual tach" where it cranks based on alternator voltage and a timer is just not reliable at the temps we get here.

The other big gain is I now finally have remote lock, unlock, and trunk release. Those are pretty aggravating features to not have in this climate, especially since Honda has the "feature" that prevents you from locking your keys in the car, the only way to lock or unlock this car was by putting the physical key into the drivers door. What a pain when its dark, below zero, snowing and wind blowing, etc. I will greatly appreciate being able to simply use a fob button for lock and unlock. That wiring under the dash is a lot of work though. Trunk release required a relay which added more work time. I got it done though, and somehow it all worked first try when I finished all my wire connections and hooked everything up.

All I know is the timing belt had better hang in there and nobody better smash into me and total it out after all the work that was. Would appreciate if the brake lines hold in there too. At this point I'm probably willing to pay to have a trusted shop replace the brakes in this, I just can't scrape up enough free time to do every last thing myself. I will continue to do what I can though.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Gadget Electrical wiring Technology Cable Table

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Well, I busted my butt on this car over the weekend. My friend whose garage space I borrowed sure hopes that the rest of the car continues to hold together for me to enjoy my efforts, and I have to say I agree. Many ticking time bombs in this car that I could not address with the time allowed but I did what I could for now.

I installed the new swaybar links and did some coil spring spacers in the rear to try to make up for sagging springs. Feels like a whole new car in terms of ride quality and handling.

One of my new radiator hoses is already trying to seep, the upper one where it connects to the cylinder head. This is one where I was forced to use a crappy worm-gear style clamp so it wasn't real surprising. I tightened it up a little and added a second clamp as a hail mary, there is nowhere around here where you can source the good spring clamps locally and ordering them online is just too expensive.

I patched one exhaust leak but this morning discovered another one I will have to deal with another time.

I put a semi-permanently mounted automatic trickle charger on the battery and put the cord out the front grill so I can try to keep the battery working this winter. The battery is pretty marginal, marked as Jan 2015 so its old and it doesn't help that I left the key on and drained it stone dead Friday night but luckily it was in the warm garage so it didn't freeze, and it seemed to come back to life. It cranks very pitifully in cold temps since its parked outside, hopefully using this trickle charger will help avoid needing to buy a new battery and help it start reliably in the coming cold months. Fingers crossed.

Of course I did an oil and filter change. Man, the oil filter is in a stupid place and is hard to get at on this car!

I'm really sketched out by the condition/looks of the rear brake lines... I had an incident a week ago when it was 0 degrees out and I fired it up and found the brake light on. Turned out the float in the reservoir was stuck, fluid level was not down luckily. I figured there must be moisture in the brake fluid. I wanted to flush it but the bleeders just look too nasty to risk cracking them... instead I opted for just swapping a portion of fresh fluid into the reservoir by pulling out as much as I could with a turkey baster and refilling with new fluid. Not great I know but that's all I felt comfortable doing for now with the time I had.

The oil pan is drenched in oil, but I'm not yet seeing big issues with the oil level going down too quickly. I forgot to check if the oil pan bolts where snug... maybe next time.

Looks like 3 out of 4 rear CV boots are torn... no time to do anything about those, I wonder how long before the clicking sounds will start it. Front U-joint is loose and worn too. Earmarked for a future garage day.

The most significant, and time consuming thing I got done was installing a full remote start system. Definitely debatable whether that was worth the time and effort it took to install, about an 8 hour job to do everything nicely and properly. Since the car is always parked outside in cold and snowy northern Minnesota it felt important, its nice to let the engine warm up a couple minutes and get a tiny jumpstart on defrost before stepping out of the house or leaving work, especially since I go immediately from my driveway or work parking lot to a 65 MPH 4 lane highway, it's not like I get to drive it gently for 2-10 minutes on slow side roads when I leave my house or work... its straight from 0 to 70 MPH traffic, whether its 10 below zero or not, hence I feel like warmups are worth it. Naturally I went all the way and properly tapped the tach signal wire, thats the only way these things work reliably in the cold temps up here. The so called "virtual tach" where it cranks based on alternator voltage and a timer is just not reliable at the temps we get here.

The other big gain is I now finally have remote lock, unlock, and trunk release. Those are pretty aggravating features to not have in this climate, especially since Honda has the "feature" that prevents you from locking your keys in the car, the only way to lock or unlock this car was by putting the physical key into the drivers door. What a pain when its dark, below zero, snowing and wind blowing, etc. I will greatly appreciate being able to simply use a fob button for lock and unlock. That wiring under the dash is a lot of work though. Trunk release required a relay which added more work time. I got it done though, and somehow it all worked first try when I finished all my wire connections and hooked everything up.

All I know is the timing belt had better hang in there and nobody better smash into me and total it out after all the work that was. Would appreciate if the brake lines hold in there too. At this point I'm probably willing to pay to have a trusted shop replace the brakes in this, I just can't scrape up enough free time to do every last thing myself. I will continue to do what I can though.

View attachment 152298

View attachment 152299

View attachment 152300

View attachment 152301
Doesn’t look rusted at the rear suspension attachment points so that’s good. If it has good bones then it can give you years of service hopefully.

BTW I thought nice looking tires until I saw the name: omikron….

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
BTW I thought nice looking tires until I saw the name: omikron….
They were cheap, and they balanced up OK. I did not know I was going to be daily driving it back when I bought them, I was trying to save money and have grip for deer hunting and such (and they have definitely provided good grip off road). The jury is still out on snow traction, but if you go to my post #3 on this thread and look at the tires it came with, I'm sure you'll agree this $280 set of no name tires is probably better than what I had 😉

· Registered
1,279 Posts
They were cheap, and they balanced up OK. I did not know I was going to be daily driving it back when I bought them, I was trying to save money and have grip for deer hunting and such (and they have definitely provided good grip off road). The jury is still out on snow traction, but if you go to my post #3 on this thread and look at the tires it came with, I'm sure you'll agree this $280 set of no name tires is probably better than what I had 😉
I guess the ones they replaced were called “delta”? I did look back. Somebody drove on those????!!!

The rims look awesome now.

You’re using it for off road instead of your jeep lol. I get it. No point bashing up a newer vehicle plowing through brush and the like. Kind of ironic though. I’d use it for winter to save your jeep from salt. I’ve seen so many rusted out jeeps on the road.

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm going to make a separate thread with a full writeup and hopefully some video as well at a later date, soon-ish, so try to save your in-depth and technical questions on this for the dedicated thread yet to come but... I did a semi-unplanned thing yesterday as a 10-12 inch snowstorm loomed towards my home area and I am too excited to not share a small teaser:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Snow

More to come... when I make the dedicated thread I will link it in this thread, give me a few days as I have very little free time and I am pretty slow at video editing :LOL:

· Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to say that I really appreciated this whole thread! It's really cool to see it come so far and to fill such a diversified role. I have a 97 that I'm in a similar boat with, but I dropped $1000 to pick it up. Thankfully, mine was in ever so slightly better shape than yours was last year. Here's to wishing you luck in the new year and all that. Definitely looking forward to your following posts.

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for the kind words Varsi-Warsi! Glad to hear you are keeping another first gen alive as well, and good luck with it! This car has really surprised me so far.

I did a rushed, poor job when I made the first bracket for the snow plow. The local hardware store did not have the heavy gauge steel tubing I wanted, and didn't have enough of it for braces, but with the storm coming I decided to whip something together anyways and the result is that the thin, un-braced hardware store metal bent a bit when I hit the bottom of a snow pile with just a titch too much momentum...

No damage to the plow or the car really, just have to replace that metal with something better and brace it from a little further back in case of harder-than-intended impact for future plowing. It still finished moving the snow from this storm just fine as-is.

So that means I am a little further out than I thought in terms of making a full video/picture package. I will be in the shop on Friday working on the new bracket and then I can document that and have what I need for a full write-up.

In the meantime, here is a tiny un-edited teaser clip: CRV Snowplowing 1st Test Run

It's not much but its the only clip that isn't 20+ minutes long that kinda shows it doing something. After this video clip was taken I ended up putting on tire chains on the rears, the snow was just too deep in some places well over a foot. I don't expect to normally need tire chains other than these rare extra-heavy snowfalls that only come once or twice a year usually around here.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well, that's really impressive for a little 4 banger in a free car lol. And even with the cheapy tires, it seemed to manage that amount of snow decently. The PO of my V put 205/45R17 on some enkei rip-offs on it and I despise them. They're good tires, yokohama avid envigors, and they have a decent amount of life left, but they're ratio is to small for any suv, especially a non-sporty one. I don't have the finances right now to swap out the rubber, but my boss told me I can grab whatever wheels from work and trade them out, but all he has that'll fit are trailer wheels and I'm iffy on that. Other than that, I love the CR-V, even with it's old and recurring problems. Best car I've had yet.

· Registered
27 Posts
Gotta be one of the best threads to check back on. Seems just about every time I do theirs a new and awsome thing.

Man the plow is super wild and looks like it works great. If I still lived rural I'd be all over doing the same.

I noticed u said something about having a similar cargo pod. I've had a couple different ones now and the one I currently have is by far the best one especially in terms of aero. Under most normal circumstances I don't find it very noticeable.

Keep it up.

· Registered
1999 Lil' Silver Ermine
18 Posts
Here's a starter pic:

Moved the worst of the tires (they are all bad) to the spare position, can't believe he was driving on this:

They are all pretty bad rims though:

Interior is slowly cleaning up with a lot of elbow grease:

Still a lot of dirt caked in the driver's seat, need some car shampoo.
I would love to get at that interior. I have a weird love of deep cleaning/detailing interiors :D
I can recommend the Bissel portable deep cleaner...works great on seats and carpet, if you are going to get involved.

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I would love to get at that interior. I have a weird love of deep cleaning/detailing interiors :D
I can recommend the Bissel portable deep cleaner...works great on seats and carpet, if you are going to get involved.
We have a Bissel carpet cleaner with the handheld wand attachment, not quite as convenient as the portable but maybe this spring if all is still running well I will drag it out there and try to clean up a bit better than the vacuum job I did in the fall.

Lately we've been using it to haul all kinds of construction materials and junk that I can't put in my regular trash so its going to need it by spring if I want it to pass as a semi-respectable vehicle at all.

Right now just about everything is on hold until spring due to having no heat in my garage and no space in the garage to roll the car in. I have to borrow time in other people's garages to do just the bare minimum of any maintenance needed until I can get my own garage squared away.

I also got the 'rona so that has slowed up progress on rebuilding my plow blade bracket too...

· Registered
2019 EX-L
265 Posts
I'm going to make a separate thread with a full writeup and hopefully some video as well at a later date, soon-ish, so try to save your in-depth and technical questions on this for the dedicated thread yet to come but... I did a semi-unplanned thing yesterday as a 10-12 inch snowstorm loomed towards my home area and I am too excited to not share a small teaser:

More to come... when I make the dedicated thread I will link it in this thread, give me a few days as I have very little free time and I am pretty slow at video editing :LOL:
Thoroughly looking forward to this post! let us know when this happens 🍿

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I know it's been quite a while and still no snow plow post, apologies for that, I have been using it all winter and I have been successfully moving snow, but my second bracket is a little bent too which isn't surprising as it was only a slight improvement in strength over the first design. I did not have time to do a better bracket yet, so not much point in posting a setup that isn't really strong enough but when it warms up I will be able to set myself up properly for next winter.

I have not had any issues with the car or traction for the snowfalls we've had, and it's been a snowy year, but I do try to hit it as soon as 6-8 inches have fallen rather than waiting for a full foot to pile up. So in general it works but I need to use heavier metal for the mount and probably another set of attachment points beyond the ears where a tow bar would go.

Not much else to report, car has worked fine all winter with no issues, just driving it to work every day. Got out into some semi-plowed forest trails once and had no problems, those Accelera Omikron tires are impressive grippers, noticed the price on them has gone way up now that people have discovered their quality.

I still seem to have the issue with the torque converter hardly ever fully locking up. It's pretty much always at 3000 RPM going ~65 MPH on the speedo and I can't tell if that is expected or not. I don't normally drive more than 8 miles at a time so it's hard for me to tell any different, but on rare days when I do drive a bit more seems like around the 25 mile mark the TC might finally lock in and drop 500 RPMs or so but I can't quite prove it, maybe I'm crazy. I guess I don't really care if the TC locks or not most of the time, I don't ever drive far enough to start burning the fluid.

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
For future reference I am linking the discussion I have in this other thread about the torque converter not locking up consistently on the highway:

The short version is that I suspect a 160 degree thermostat is installed, hence for most of winter it never quite made the threshold temp most of the time for locking the TC up, only once in a while. Now it's spring and getting warmer(finally), today it squeaked over 170 degrees and locked up after about 6-7 miles at 70 MPH. Pondering solutions, or whether it's even worth "fixing".

· Premium Member
2006 Honda CR-V SE 199,000 miles and counting!
19 Posts
Hey everyone!

I had a free 1999 CR-V dropped off in my driveway last fall, with just over 300k on the clock. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it but last week I committed to the extent that I transferred the title and put tabs and insurance on it, so its actually officially mine for the time being.

I don't know what my long-term plan for it is, I daily drive a 2018 Jeep Compass and don't really need another car but it could be a handy dirty-jobs buggy and save some wear/tear and miles on my Compass.

Short term, I need to drive it a little and see exactly what I've got. Put about 10 miles on it so far, starts and drives but mechanically so far I see that the valve cover gasket is puking oil everywhere, the front upper ball joints are bad, and the tires are insanely dangerously bad (probably as a result of the bad ball joints)

The story of getting it for free goes like this, my old man knew the previous owner through work and picked him up when this CR-V of his died and left him stranded on the side of the road. At that point the PO had decided to hop to another beater buggy and asked my father to just haul it to the scrap yard. Rather than the scrap yard, it ended up here as my little project for now...

Pretty sure it died on the road because it was 3 quarts low on oil, a result of the bad valve cover gasket. Pretty silly but according to my father this guy probably couldn't point out a spark plug wire under the hood if you held out a $20 bill and asked him to... Reportedly his MO is to jump from one high mileage beater to the next every few months to a year. His loss, perhaps.

When you actually put OIL in it, it fires right up and runs actually fairly decent for its mileage. It also needed a half a gallon of coolant and a pint of power steering fluid.

Shifts OK the few miles I've driven so far, a good sign (it is the 4 speed auto)

Was pleasantly surprised to learn it was a 99 with the handful of extra horsepower.

It looks like the owners BEFORE the last owner loved this car very much, lot of nice parts replaced. Pretty recent exhaust system that is not very rusty. New spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap it looks like.

This last owner though, did NOT love this car. I've deduced that he apparently lives so hopelessly far down a dirt road that he simply doesn't feel like its worth even trying. Apparently he drove down this same dirt road every day with all four windows down and just let the dust roll, day in and day out, because this is by far the DIRTIEST car I have ever seen. I spent all day yesterday trying to remove just the top layer of dirt. Its all the same type of dirt, and its thicker in the back than the front, hence my theory about the dirt road/windows down every day. His dirt road is also probably why the front ball joints are bad. I'm talking dirt caked 1/16th deep even behind the speaker grills. The headliner has nasty dirt smudges on every square foot. Every inch of the interior was caked with this dirt.

My only reward for spending hours vacuuming and wiping with a rag yesterday was getting down to really beat up, scratched-to-hell plastic everywhere. This was used like a work truck, and I mean like a work truck someone hated.

Oh well, still a free car that runs and drives. I like to tinker. Parts are cheap. Maybe I can make a respectable beater out of it and flip it for a few bucks or keep it around to save on wear/tear on my nicer car. It would be nice to have something like this for hauling my chainsaw, gas and bar oil when helping dad and grandpa cut firewood, or when we are bringing rakes and shovels and such to the annual yard-work party at grandmas, and for deer hunting, etc. We'll see.

This is kind of a worthless post with no initial pictures but I will start a project thread soon and get some photos. Its not exciting right now anyways, just a typical green 99 CR-V, you know what they look like. Super dirty, super neglected. Maybe we'll make something of it, hoping there will be some good advice on the forum.

I know I'll need to check the timing belt and do all the fluids, including the repeated partial fluid swap 3-4 times on the transmission. This is not my first, second, third, or fourth old high mileage beater tinker project. I'm no master mechanic but no stranger to a timing belt service job.

As long as I can get parts shipped in will give me something to play with during this whole ongoing virus stay-at-home stuff...

More to come later (including pics!)
Since you drive a 2018 Jeep Compass, I would get the CR-V fixed up ASAP. You will need it soon.

More than a year later, you may be wondering "Is that car still going? Does he still have it?"

The answer is yes and yes. I apologize for the hiatus, I pretty much got the car working to the point shown in the previous post and ever since then I've just been using it, with no issues. Granted, I have only been driving it all of a couple times per month to take recycling out or for hunting or other dirty jobs, haven't hardly put any substantial miles on since last post, but it still just starts up and goes even when I let it sit for a couple weeks.

My cousin asked if he could buy it off me for his first car. I told him he'd be better off finding something in a little better shape. It's one thing to occasionally putz it around up here in the sticks, down in the cities where he lives I don't think it would last one week of daily driving. Hard to say for sure though. Then there is still a long list of little issues..

I've been working from home a lot lately and long story short decided to sell my 2017 daily driver Jeep and just make this old CRV my main car for... however much longer its wiling to go. I typically only leave the house a handful of times per week, usually on optional trips where if the car doesn't want to go then I can usually stay home without issue. I don't go more than 10 miles in any direction from my home in this car. We still have our 2020 Jeep that my wife is driving, that is all we use for road trips and general transportation when we are both going somewhere together. "Why have two Jeeps with payments?" I figure I can save about $400 a month if we go down to one Jeep and just see how far this CRV gets me for those days I have somewhere to be.

I can hear you guys already:

Indeed, it might not end well. It might blow up after a week of gentle local driving, but then again it might just keep on truckin. Worst that can happen is I need to find another decent beater without a payment for a few thousand, and I'd still come out ahead compared to making payments to finish the 14k I owe on the 2017 Jeep. If this CRV just lasts through the end of the chip shortage I'm sure that will be good enough. Gives me time to save for some other fun new car.

I've got a to-do list to get this thing into daily-driver condition, though.

I've still been turning the replacement ignition switch with a screwdriver... time to put that where it belongs at the bottom of the ignition lock cylinder! I might throw a cheap remote start kit on while I'm monkeying around with those wires though, would be nice for winter.

My wife was kind enough to vacuum it out for me, removed a few acorn shells from the glovebox and beneath the rear tray. Hopefully the critters haven't been in the airbox again, I already changed that cabin air filter a year ago and I'd like the defrost to work this winter...

Borrowed an ozone generator that probably just finished its second 30-minute cycle to freshen up the inside a bit. Didn't smell too bad but it smelled like a car that sat more than it was driven.

My friend up the road has a hoist in his garage and I have a few things to do if I can get an afternoon in on that;
  • Install new swabar end links on all four corners
  • Patch a small exhaust hole back at the muffler
  • Throw some cheap spring coil spacers on the rear springs (they are a bit saggy and my oversized tires rub a bit when loaded down)
  • Brace the universal hitch receiver that I installed (not used for towing, just for a cheap cargo rack I haul deer on)

If I have time I might also change the rear diff fluid and address a cracked CV boot in the rear. I don't really want to put new axles in the back but might have to, unless anyone here has a recommendation on a good fitting split boot I can just cram on there quickly and let ride. From what I understand those often don't work for most people, but its tempting.

I hope the AWD still works since this is northern Minnesota, but I should be OK either way since the tires I put on are still like brand new. Probably not even 1k miles on them yet.

I did do one itty bitty mod that I can't remember whether it ever got posted here or not. I popped out the wire harness between the factory radio head unit and the optional CD player, cut the line-out wires from the CD player and spliced them into a standard 3.5mm headphone jack that I drilled a small hole in the dash to mount. Now I have an aux input on the factory head unit with a $9 bluetooth receiver plugged into it :LOL: works perfect, the only catch is that you have to have a CD you leave in the factory CD player to trick it into thinking its playing something, otherwise the head unit doesn't pick up the signal. The front door speaker wires are in bad shape, speakers cut out when you open and close the doors so I need to address that too, but basically I got bluetooth on the factory radio for $9 so I can take a phone call on the road or listen to some tunes.

View attachment 151492

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out, especially when it hits the real cold part of winter. Better swap some fresh oil in the motor one of these days too, not sure that's happened since 2020 but again, hardly put 1000 miles on it either so... its fine :ROFLMAO: I'll keep you guys in the loop.
Smart man losing the Jeep! Now you just have one more vehicle to get rid of....and it's NOT the CR-V! 😉 BTW, good job on what you have done so far. Most of us long-time CR-V owners know what these cars are capable of so we might prioritize repairs differently and get the powertrain and suspension taken care of first(if I could afford it). You don't have to depend on it too much so are doing what you need just to keep it going. The CR-V is the second most popular compact SUV ever sold in the U. S. Toyota RAV 4 is #1 by only 20,000 vehicles. I personally don't care for the RAV 4 styling but opinions are like a******s:everyone has one and alot of them stink. Good luck on your journey and stay safe!

Thanks for the kind words Varsi-Warsi! Glad to hear you are keeping another first gen alive as well, and good luck with it! This car has really surprised me so far.

I did a rushed, poor job when I made the first bracket for the snow plow. The local hardware store did not have the heavy gauge steel tubing I wanted, and didn't have enough of it for braces, but with the storm coming I decided to whip something together anyways and the result is that the thin, un-braced hardware store metal bent a bit when I hit the bottom of a snow pile with just a titch too much momentum...

No damage to the plow or the car really, just have to replace that metal with something better and brace it from a little further back in case of harder-than-intended impact for future plowing. It still finished moving the snow from this storm just fine as-is.

So that means I am a little further out than I thought in terms of making a full video/picture package. I will be in the shop on Friday working on the new bracket and then I can document that and have what I need for a full write-up.

In the meantime, here is a tiny un-edited teaser clip: CRV Snowplowing 1st Test Run

It's not much but its the only clip that isn't 20+ minutes long that kinda shows it doing something. After this video clip was taken I ended up putting on tire chains on the rears, the snow was just too deep in some places well over a foot. I don't expect to normally need tire chains other than these rare extra-heavy snowfalls that only come once or twice a year usually around here.
Lol! That is a first for me! I've never seen a CR-V with a snow plow. If you could put an excavator bucket on the back you could start a business! Nice work!

· Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hello all, here we are one year later and the status is still pretty much the same. My snowplow mounting bracket project is still not "done", I've been gingerly clearing snow from my driveway and my Grandmother's driveway all winter again just like last season with a bent, mangled chunk of metal holding onto the towing ears of the CRV by a thread, but (knock on wood) its hung in there all season and still hasn't fallen off!

As I've clarified before, none of my issues have anything to do with the Massimo plow itself or its brackets and such that come in that kit, all my problems are with the weak thin metal I used to make a bracket on the CRV that the "universal" bracket from Massimo could bolt to.

Since I still never fixed that properly its been a nail-biter all season to see if it would actually make it all the way through without breaking off completely. This was a pretty snowy year up here too. We are not in the clear yet but even if my crappy bracket does finally break off in these last few weeks of winter I still moved an enormous amount of snow with it (my Grandma's driveway is a lot bigger and more complicated than mine).

My 10-year old harbor freight winch started giving me issues so I plan to replace that and redo the vehicle-side mounting bracket once and for all once the weather gets better. Then again I said the same thing last year...

Anyways just wanted to update that its just the same old same old here. I was messing around with a video editing app on my phone and to test it I grabbed a few clips from my security cameras, the app threw together this little video so I thought why not share (as proof of life for the poor old CRV, if nothing else!)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts