Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 18 1.5L has been awesome so far with 20K miles. The only time it will experience fuel dilution rise is when the car is idling for a long period of time. Normal driving there’s no rise. I wonder if the issues are starting to make its way south. Should I take it in or continue to monitor?
9B320B15-AFDE-4558-8685-E02B5D636F9A.jpeg

·
Registered
865 Posts
You can't expect Honda to cover damage caused by the problem if you don't get your repair done. Are you comfortable paying out of pocket for repairs if your car ends up having the issue in the future and eg your camshaft needs replacement?

The actual recall notice has the details on what is voided.

The decision is yours...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the same letter in the mail. I just had my car in 2 weeks ago and asked them to check out things. The letter doesn't actually state that you need to take the car in or that there are any repairs that are offered. Or did I just miss reading that?

I'm glad that Honda is at least recognizing that there is a problem. I'm assuming these symptoms are because of the fuel dilution but the letter doesn't actually say that. I'm in Texas and glad to see that they are at least starting to realize it isn't just a 'cold weather' issue. I've had the problem too but the first dealership I took it too wouldn't even document it. The dealership I went to 2 weeks ago at least put it into writing and into the system but told me that there wasn't anything they could do because it wasn't above the level that they consider to be a problem...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the same letter in the mail. I just had my car in 2 weeks ago and asked them to check out things. The letter doesn't actually state that you need to take the car in or that there are any repairs that are offered. Or did I just miss reading that?

I'm glad that Honda is at least recognizing that there is a problem. I'm assuming these symptoms are because of the fuel dilution but the letter doesn't actually say that. I'm in Texas and glad to see that they are at least starting to realize it isn't just a 'cold weather' issue. I've had the problem too but the first dealership I took it too wouldn't even document it. The dealership I went to 2 weeks ago at least put it into writing and into the system but told me that there wasn't anything they could do because it wasn't above the level that they consider to be a problem...
I guess I need to go re-read my letter. I see the very top of yours in bold has what needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I received the same yesterday. It says to do nothing unless you experience the symptoms in the first paragraph. It appears Honda is expanding the extended the powertrain warranty to 6yrs/unlimited miles and once again slapping the heads of OD naysayers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received the same yesterday. I guess Honda decided to expand the notice. It says to do nothing unless you experience the symptoms in the first paragraph. At least Honda extended the warranty to 6yrs/unlimited miles.
That’s why I may not take it in and just monitor. Although I may call the dear and pick their brain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't expect Honda to cover damage caused by the problem if you don't get your repair done. Are you comfortable paying out of pocket for repairs if your car ends up having the issue in the future and eg your camshaft needs replacement?

The actual recall notice has the details on what is voided.

The decision is yours...

I get that but the letter states if you experience symptoms. Doesn’t mean it’s going to get fixed. I wish this letter came out two weeks ago when there was oil level rise after the wife idled the car for two hours once per week. OLM at the time was 30% and with 5K miles on the oil. There must of been 1.5 qrts over full. I did the oil change myself. Her commute is 90% highway. This is the first time seeing oil level rise.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I get that but the letter states if you experience symptoms. Doesn’t mean it’s going to get fixed. I wish this letter came out two weeks ago when there was oil level rise after the wife idled the car for two hours once per week. OLM at the time was 30% and with 5K miles on the oil. There must of been 1.5 qrts over full. I did the oil change myself. Her commute is 90% highway. This is the first time seeing oil level rise.
I guess I'm confused a bit, the tsb associated with the same issue states that repair is required. You might just make sure that you are not giving up any rights to repair before choosing to ignore.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I guess I'm confused a bit, the tsb associated with the same issue states that repair is required. You might just make sure that you are not giving up any rights to repair before choosing to ignore.

Here is the product update letter. You should have received one of these at some point if your car is affected.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just got off the phone with the campaign center from Honda. The only way work will be done is if the oil level is in fact rising to take the car in so Honda can monitor it. Basically I need to check the oil more often and see if it is rising before contacting my dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
Frame the letter. all I care to say.

Reactions: MGAlover

·
Registered
2017 EX
35 Posts
My interpretation is no action is required unless the malfunction light comes on, or you hear a whirling noise from the engine (what does that sound like?). The wife says she is hearing a strange sound from under the hood, interrmitently.
Our '17 does have slightly rising oil level (difficult to see due to the plastic tip dipstick). I am hesitant to take it in for the "fix" because of the negative posts about the car running worse after. Any input is welcome.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My interpretation is no action is required unless the malfunction light comes on, or you hear a whirling noise from the engine (what does that sound like?). The wife says she is hearing a strange sound from under the hood, interrmitently.
Our '17 does have slightly rising oil level (difficult to see due to the plastic tip dipstick). I am hesitant to take it in for the "fix" because of the negative posts about the car running worse after. Any input is welcome.
My guess is Honda won’t do anything it right away. They’ll monitor the fuel dilution issue and hopefully the sound comes back during their inspection.

I broke off the plastic part on the dip stick and made two dimples to make oil reading a little easier.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts

or make three threads or triple your posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Our 18 1.5L has been awesome so far with 20K miles. The only time it will experience fuel dilution rise is when the car is idling for a long period of time. Normal driving there’s no rise. I wonder if the issues are starting to make its way south. Should I take it in or continue to monitor?
View attachment 134803 View attachment 134803
I received the letter this week as well. I've been expecting to see one for months now... given earlier discussions between forum members here. note: I have never had any observable oil rise on my CRV.

The letter's purpose it to formally extend the warranty on the powertrain to 6 years, unlimited mileage... something they are doing for ALL gen5 CRV owners. It also outlines specifically what the concern is that has prompted Honda to issue the warranty extension and under what conditions the owner is advised to contact their dealer (ie: the first paragraph describes what malfunctions are to be alert for).

The letter makes no mention of oil rise due to oil dilution. Nor does the letter instruct you to have your car serviced under one of the open TSBs.... UNLESS you experience the error codes, noises, etc. described in the first paragraph.

As the final paragraph states.. if you have any questions regarding this notification... contact Honda as instructed in said paragraph.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received the letter this week as well. I've been expecting to see one for months now... given earlier discussions between forum members here. note: I have never had any observable oil rise on my CRV.

The letter's purpose it to formally extend the warranty on the powertrain to 6 years, unlimited mileage... something they are doing for ALL gen5 CRV owners. It also outlines specifically what the concern is that has prompted Honda to issue the warranty extension and under what conditions the owner is advised to contact their dealer (ie: the first paragraph describes what malfunctions are to be alert for).

The letter makes no mention of oil rise due to oil dilution. Nor does the letter instruct you to have your car serviced under one of the open TSBs.... UNLESS you experience the error codes, noises, etc. described in the first paragraph.

As the final paragraph states.. if you have any questions regarding this notification... contact Honda as instructed in said paragraph.
That’s what I thought as well. Hopefully nothing happens. Just glad it’s 6 years and unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got one for my 2017, my concern is that the Title mentions "Software Update with A/C Control Unit Replacement" yet NOWHERE in the first paragraph, which covers symptoms requiring action, does it mention A/C. This makes no sense. If this is for the oil dilution issue, they sure have done a good job of disguising it and it specifically says you dont get the repairs without the symptoms(which doesnt include oil levels). Cant make heads or tails of this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts