Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, recent convert here. Got a heck of a deal on an '06 EX that I'm working out some bugs on. Biggest thing I noticed so far is that sometimes when I get into the car, insert the key, and rotate to start - absolutely nothing happens. No dash lights, no noise, and I didn't specifically look but I'm pretty sure some light didn't come on either. I take the key out, wait about 30 seconds and it starts right up.

Also, I got in this evening to run to the store and when I pulled my door shut the impact caused my radio to 'reset' and request the code.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
583 Posts
When you insert the key, does it feel loose? Can you jiggle it? Sounds like your ignition switch is worn. Do you know if the previous owner carried a lot of keys with their car key? May need to take it to the dealer to see about a new ignition switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm unsure about the number of keys the previous owner carried.

There is some play in the ignition, I feel like. But no more than what I have in my 2009 Civic that has never presented with the same problem.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The keys have absolutely nothing to do with this. You have a bad electrical connection somewhere in the dash. Key turns which means there isnt a problem. Ignition switch, multiplex etc can cause issues as well as bad connections at the fuse block under the hood and at the battery.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What Tigris said! There are multiple components involved. First is the lock cylinder, which is the mechanical key lock itself. If loose/worn enough, it can cause problems. Second is the ignition switch itself, which is an electrical/electronic switch connected to the lock cylinder and located on the steering column. Third is the ignition control module. These rarely malfunction. Fourth is all the wiring harnesses and plugs connecting these other components. And lastly, there is the entire electrical system, which can also cause issues (battery, grounds, harnesses, fuses and relays, connectors, etc.) The lock cylinder works, and the ignition switch is working at least some of the time, so it is probably okay too. Could be a relay, or a loose or corroded connector.

I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of the Honda Factory Service Manual. I got mine (for my '07) from this guy here on eBay:

2005 2006 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD w/ ETM manual | eBay

It contains the entire factory manuals set on CD disc, in .pdf form, for use on your computer, and is much cheaper than the paper book version. Mine is over 3,200 pages and contains extensive troubleshooting procedures on every system, as well as just about anything else you could possibly want to know. I use it all the time and it has more than paid for itself! It will likely contain all you need to solve this. Just throwing parts at it will get expensive and may not solve it. Keep us posted on this!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,220 Posts
My vote is for a loose/corroded connection to the battery. If you can twist the battery terminals without loosening, start there. (Might need terminal shims)

Next is the two large connections to the fuse box (remove the fuse-box cover and look for corrosion behind) Here is a picture of our '06, you can see the beginnings of the corrosion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll go looking into those things.

But as an update, I bought a cheap battery tester at Harbor Freight today and following those procedures the battery is reading "weak"

☝Yes, I realize that is not a professional assessment.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,220 Posts
You can buy battery terminal shims for a few dollars from an autoparts store. Or, 'forage' locally. :giggle:

I usually do the latter: A couple thicknesses of aluminum beer can folded so as to go half-way around the terminal. (That way the main terminal has plenty of contact area).

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,247 Posts
I hate that. What happened to standard size battery posts and terminals? Ridiculous in this day and age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts